What age is acceptable for a kid to get a mobile phone?

mcq10

Striker
As per the title.

The oldest little miss mcq10 is in year 4 and is 9 years old.

I’m of the opinion when she starts secondary school she can have one as she will be getting the metro or walking to school.

Mrs Mcq10 reckons half her class already own one so we should let her have one.

As per the title.

I’m of the opinion when she starts secondary school she can have one as she will be getting the metro or walking to school.

There maybe other considerations but no 9yr old needs a mobile phone.

Half the Yr 4's have one! Probably because the little darlings have told their parents "everyone has them" - support the parents in the 50 % that have not got them.

think ours were about 6 when we gave them our old phones. Our oldest was 14 when he got his first new one on contract, the youngest was 7. they look after them like and as far as I can see they do nothing wrong with them. Don't like when people use them as cheap babysitting or to get them to shut up

We got the boy one last year when he turned 8 cos he gets the bus home from school himself (with his mates) - they've all got them with WhatsApp groups and stuff

As per the title.

Our bairn got hers Christmas when she was in Y5.
Didn't need it then but by the time she was going out alone or with friends she was an expert on it.
Showed us the different tracking apps we could get.

There maybe other considerations but no 9yr old needs a mobile phone.

Half the Yr 4's have one! Probably because the little darlings have told their parents "everyone has them" - support the parents in the 50 % that have not got them.
Exactly what I’ve said. Lots of entitled little darlings in her class tbf.

I’m prepared to dig in the trenches for the next 2 and a bit years till she’s starts secondary school.

Even then it will be a reluctant purchase.

Our bairn got hers Christmas when she was in Y5.
Didn't need it then but by the time she was going out alone or with friends she was an expert on it.
Showed us the different tracking apps we could get.
She’s got friends in the street she plays with but gets driven everywhere else.

My missus is serious for not wanting her to be left out from the rest of the class.

I just want to avoid the inevitable kids falling out on phones.

I see it daily at work. The amount of arguments that are brought into school from stuff that’s happened outside of school.

10 for my oldest, same as someone else said, that’s roughly when he started walking home from school occasionally so he could be tracked.

My mate got his daughter one at 8 (I think that’s what he said) to help her manage her diabetes so there are scenarios where kids need them sooner.

As per the title.

I'm with you. My two are Y9 and Y7 (14 and 12). They weren't allowed one until they started secondary school. Don't give a shit what any other parents did. Wasn't just my two lads without a phone throughout primary school. There were some other sensible parents who didn't bow to peer pressure. No need whatsoever for them to have a phone that young. It's an expensive distraction that will likely get lost or broken.

I get that when nearly every one has them, it is harder to say no.

I was a harsh parent and told my kids to sort and pay for their own phones. They went and got paperrounds and bought their own. Didn't do them any harm.
Not sure you can get a paper round at 9 y/o!

My daughter is the same age/same year group and a few of the kids are getting them but not all. Again, normally those kids whose parents can’t/won’t say. I’ve said secondary but reckon I’ll relent towards the mid/end of year 6.

I just don’t want it to be come her life. Which I’m sure it won’t but that’s my main fear.

A bloke who I’m friends with, his daughter is year 6 and already shite going around on WhatsApp groups out of school hours.

I get Lamby’s point, if his son is on the bus at 8 I’d probably have one.

Back