What age do you stop buying for relatives (kids) at Christmas/Birthdays?

Or do you buy forever more?

Got nieces and nephews of all ages in our family but some are now well into adulthood with full time jobs, all living at home, however they have younger siblings who are still just kids.

Is it right to stop buying for the eldest (adult) ones, but keep buying for the younger ones until they reach a certain age like 18 or 21? I'm sure my relatives stopped buying for me around those ages.

It's just hard to know what to do.

Got nieces and nephews of all ages in our family but some are now well into adulthood with full time jobs, all living at home, however they have younger siblings who are still just kids.

Is it right to stop buying for the eldest (adult) ones, but keep buying for the younger ones until they reach a certain age like 18 or 21? I'm sure my relatives stopped buying for me around those ages.

Get them down the Pit or in our case on the farm 😂

Seriously gets ridiculous.

I’ve always got my niece and nephews presents and lately money as they get older, my brother has never given either of my daughters anything and my sister only when they were bairns, my brother and sister have cheesed me off this year but I’ll still give their kids stuff, not their fault they’ve awipes for parents 🤷‍♂️

We are only a small family but my mam stopped buying for my cousins when they had kids themselves and buys for the kids instead my uncle still buys for us but we dont have kids and me and my brother both buy for him and his other half unlike my cousins who have never bought for my mam anyway

We stopped at eighteen for Christmas and birthdays. But each round birthday they get one still. Mind, my family isn't much big and with my two wonderful nephews now both around thirty years of age, for years I have only bought a pressie for mam, my sister and her wifey. My sister and her wifey always want a gift card to a garden centre and mam always asks for her weekly magazine to be renewed. Both done online in a matter of minutes. I used to put Advent calendars together and boxes of sweeties for good folks in the North East, though my wrapping left a lot to be desired. But Brexit put a stop to that as posting parcels to the UK now is just too big a hassle for all.

It’s 18 in our family.

I told the friends who we do/did buy for that that was how we do things in our own family so the same rules would apply to them. Everyone was fine with it.

They get a bit more than they normally get for their 18th birthday as a sort of farewell.

We just buy for the kids (under 18s) now. Everyone else has pretty much got everything they need/want…other than Ferraris, yachts etc. I got sick of still using foul-smelling lynx gift packs in September, so respectfully requested that instead of a gift, donate the money to someone in need, ie cash for kids or similar. I also have enough socks, underpants and handkerchiefs to last me a lifetime.

18, with an exception made for 21st birthdays.

We agreed this with my brother and the missus' sisters.

Works reasonably well except for when my missus' oldest sister interpreted the agreement as her stopping sending birthday presents for her youngest nephew (my youngest) when her youngest kid reached 18. Meant we had to provide them on her behalf for about ten years so that our youngest didn't realise she wasn't actually sending anything for him.

She's a bit dizzy so don't know whether it was intentional or whether she honestly thought her interpretation was correct.

Back