What a summer: 2005 Ashes

Still can’t believe we nearly lost the edgbaston test, Brett Lee and Warney almost won it for them. Brilliant, nerves shredded. Bowden’s crooked finger 😍😍
Was in St.Lucia for that test. Furiously refreshing BBC Sport page on my shite Sony Ericsson and racking up a massive bill in the process :lol:
Summer that made me fall in love with cricket.

Before then as a young boy i'd only vaguely understood cricket. The England team always lost the Ashes to Australia... but after this summer I watched every test and was gripped by it (Even if I didn't quite grasp every rule)

From the disappointing battering in the first test at Lords to the nail-biter at Edgbaston, the frustration at OT, the win at Trent Bridge then clinching it at the Oval what a series.

My favourite player of that time was Flintoff. Chunky, Northern lad who played with a smile on his face. He was brilliant this series.

Special reference to Gary Pratt as well. MLF i've heard....whatever happened to him. Ponting's face was a picture.

What a summer.
Pisses me off when people only remember Ashes series from 2005 onwards :lol:. It wasn't always like this. My first series was 1989.......16 years of getting absolutely humped every 2 years, even tours down under where Australia A would absolutely thrash us in a tour game with their first IX watching on.... Waking up, checking teletext, swearing....rinse and repeat

Last edited:

Back