What’s your working from home set-up like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

:) Aye, it's been a nightmare, (relatively speaking to me as I rarely get sick).

Started off as a dry throat, tickly cough a few weeks back now, which wouldn't shift and started to drive me crazy, so went to docs and got chest x-ray and had small infection in lungs and throat. Got antibiotics which shifted the infection but I also had a reaction to an inhaler they gave me that saw my throat and back of mouth flare up, so ended up in hospital on a drip overnight and they then gave me steroids to take.

Never had anxiety problems before, but the steroids (albeit only a very small dose) fucked with my mind, so i took myself off them. Definitely on road to recovery, but it is happening very slowly, albeit I now know that a mix of turmeric and honey is like a magical potion to soothing an irritated throat. Really helps with the inflammation.

Have been more to the docs and hospital in last two weeks than in last 20 years (touches wood) but not worth risk to myself or others so sticking at home. Working from the garden today as weather still not too hot yet, so a nice change.

tbh i think that anyone who can work from home hasn't got a proper job.

What an embarrassing opinion. You can facilitate around 15GW of power to the National grid whilst working from home. Unless you’d rather it was turned off and you were left in the dark all day?

Been working from home mostly for 18 months now, but during really busy periods I’ve been going in the office to help me focus as my desk is downstairs in the house which is all open plan. So kids and wife can easily disturb me. Been advised not to go into office so it’s going to be a struggle I recon if I don’t have the option to go into work.
It's coming. The big corporates especially in London are regularly reducing their floor space
Many startups don’t even have a HQ or any physical office space at all. Just an unnecessary expense, and remote working and mobility goes a long way to the whole work/life balance.
tbh i think that anyone who can work from home hasn't got a proper job.
Oh please tell us what real job you have?

Last edited:
IPad with keyboard. Office desk with computer. None of them are optimised due to IT f***ing up for weeks with Citrix and office 365.

Just goes to show the number of people who now do jobs that just involve shunting information around.
I do this type of job, and I’ll even admit and have openly expressed my opinion at work that we could easily cut staff by 50% if we cut out all the bullshit and paper work.

I’m a Project Manager and the amount of documents I have to produce that I know fine well don’t even get read is unbelievable. I produce documents just to move through the stages and they need approval at each stage, I’m half tempted for my next project just to write song lyrics or poems and submit them for approval, I’d recon they’d fly though.

Most jobs are pointless!

Spent the last four years working from home with my MacBook on my knee whilst sat on the settee.
Now that I'm working for someone else I might have to start using my office furniture a bit more. In the office my Mac is my primary machine with Surface Pro as a back up or to be used for specific tasks. After a recent rebuild, my Mac doesn't work well at home so the Surface will have to be my main machine.
It's not ideal and whilst I haven't 100% made the decision to work from home, I think I probably should.
I'll try the set up today, possibly go into the office tomorrow to see if tech support can iron out any issues, then work from home after that.

I’ve applied for occasional home working access but still waiting for confirmation. I did it before we were all shit scared of Coronavirus because my wife and I are both accountants in organisations with 31 March year ends and if we both have hone access we can both juggle picking up the kids with our deadlines rather than the focus being on my wife as she’s the only one of us who currently has hone access.

I do this type of job, and I’ll even admit and have openly expressed my opinion at work that we could easily cut staff by 50% if we cut out all the bullshit and paper work.

I’m a Project Manager and the amount of documents I have to produce that I know fine well don’t even get read is unbelievable. I produce documents just to move through the stages and they need approval at each stage, I’m half tempted for my next project just to write song lyrics or poems and submit them for approval, I’d recon they’d fly though.

Most jobs are pointless!
When drafting a document many years ago, my mate added 'BDC' (meaning Big Dog's Cock) into the requirements and we thought it was hilarious. He forgot to remove it before sending it for approval and not one signee noticed. Somebody else then used his document as a template and obviously not knowing what BDC meant, but thinking it was important, they left it in.
From then on, until the day we left, every document of that type requested a Big Dog's Cock and got it approved.

Laptop, two monitors, mouse, keyboard, good WiFi. Canny. Have to use my mobile as a phone, which is a bit of a nuisance (would prefer a desk phone).

Went into the office yesterday to pick up some stuff. I’m expecting to be WFH for a while and that is possible/encouraged by my employer

When drafting a document many years ago, my mate added 'BDC' (meaning Big Dog's Cock) into the requirements and we thought it was hilarious. He forgot to remove it before sending it for approval and not one signee noticed. Somebody else then used his document as a template and obviously not knowing what BDC meant, but thinking it was important, they left it in.
From then on, until the day we left, every document of that type requested a Big Dog's Cock and got it approved.
I once put a PO request in for a 2 ton pachyderm with 2 metres of trunking and it got all the way to the boss before anyone clicked.

I've got a laptop and an iphone to use but hardly ever work from home. I normally just issue communications from my iphone if there is anything urgent. Never had to use the laptop yet but that might change if we all get locked down.

I'm getting some 2", 3" & 4" sch40 pipe and flanges, and elbows with some other pipe fittings sent round to my house along with a load of welding rods & filler wire, grinding discs, 9" and 5"grinders, 4 bottles of Argon and Oxy/Acetylene burning gear.
A nice 400 amp diesel welding generator too.
Might look shite on my drive and front garden, but, at least I can work from home 😎 👍

I'm getting some 2", 3" & 4" sch40 pipe and flanges, and elbows with some other pipe fittings sent round to my house along with a load of welding rods & filler wire, grinding discs, 9" and 5"grinders, 4 bottles of Argon and Oxy/Acetylene burning gear.
A nice 400 amp diesel welding generator too.
Might look shite on my drive and front garden, but, at least I can work from home 😎 👍
You should also get some larger bore pipe and fittings so the local kids can crawl over and through them. An industrial playground to appease the neighbours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back