Wey, that's the tree down

There’s a pub in Pompey that has a tradition of keeping their decorations up until Pompey get knocked out of the FA Cup each year!

For some reason this morning there was a perfectly good and rather expensive looking real 6 foot Xmas tree dumped on the pavement on our main road. It didn't even look as if it had been used because there's always a bit of tinsel or whatever left on one that's been dressed. It was fresh & in perfect condition

I don't know what the story was because you could see that all the houses nearby still had their decorations up do it didn't appear to belong to one of them. Besides that the binmen will take away all unwanted (real) trees for free next week so no-one has to even bother to go out in the dead of night to dump,

it strikes me as a strange desire to bin off christamas as quickly as possible in order that one may jump on line asap to inform the world......are there those that believe this bestows some kind of kudos?
My thoughts exactly marra.
I’m not sure which is more pathetic - rushing to get your Christmas tree down on Boxing Day, or rushing to the internet to inform the world that you’ve done so like you’re expecting some sort of gratification from your audience.

Come to thinking at work that his week is so wierd as half the country is off and half are in work I think we should be all off this week personally. I understand that there are jobs that can't stop but it definitely kills my festive feeling when rolling into work on the 27th :lol:

I'll say the same as I do on other threads on the matter. It's your house, put them up and take them down wherever you like, it's got fuck all to do with anyone else.

I'll say the same as I do on other threads on the matter. It's your house, put them up and take them down wherever you like, it's got fuck all to do with anyone else.
Which would be fine but when people come on the internet to announce “LOOK AT ME! I’VE TAKEN DOWN MY TREE!” they are making it someone else’s business. Everything anyone puts on the internet is fair game for discussion, admiration, critique, derision, disdain, compliments, piss taking etc.

In the case of the OP it’s not even like it was a passing comment tangential to some other discussion it was the title of the thread.

Last edited:
Seems the tradition now. Can't escape Christmas songs, adverts, decs everywhere from beginning of November then as soon as Boxing Day is over all traces disappear. It's shite imo as these are the best days of the year (other than when the weather is decent).
Aye I’ve never understood why Christmas songs seem to just disappear after Boxing Day. I might be wrong but I feel like when I was a kid they’d be heard upto New Years Day. To me this period is still the Christmas/festive period.

Aye I’ve never understood why Christmas songs seem to just disappear after Boxing Day. I might be wrong but I feel like when I was a kid they’d be heard upto New Years Day. To me this period is still the Christmas/festive period.
People have fallen into the trap of Hallmark commercial cycles.
I was in Wal-Mart yesterday for my sons and all the aisles are full of valentines gear already.
As soon as that’s over it will be Easter stuff etc etc
Throughout the summer it’s “back to school” (the three most hated words of my youth!) then Halloween and as soon as Halloween is over it’s “the holidays” - an amorphous merging of autumn, Thanksgiving, and Christmas with lights up on the 1st of November and cheesy Christmas films on the Hallmark channel. Rather than following the more traditional (organic) 12 days of Christmas it’s all geared to the commercial cycles and lots of people have fallen for it hook line and sinker!

Mines down, Christmas is over. I'm only interested in the build up and the day itself
This.
When the kids were little I had the tree up mid November then down the day after Boxing Day. Now I don't put the tree or decorations up at all. Saves the hassle of taking them down and the kids are grown up so couldn't care less.

Why bother putting one up in the first place, then?
Because me, our lass and the kids like having a Christmas Tree up. Like most families who celebrate Christmas.

I’m don’t want it up as we go into January as I’d then struggle for time to take it down. I’m also busy most days between Boxing Day and NYD. Seemed like an ideal opportunity to take everything down and pack it all away.

Because me, our lass and the kids like having a Christmas Tree up. Like most families who celebrate Christmas.

I’m don’t want it up as we go into January as I’d then struggle for time to take it down. I’m also busy most days between Boxing Day and NYD. Seemed like an ideal opportunity to take everything down and pack it all away.
It's unlucky to take down your decorations before 6th January. And we all know what happens on that day.

Back