Were Madness the best singles band ever?

Mmmmm .... A Quick One, Tommy, Quadrophenia ...... If anyone ever 'wrote albums' ......
I have them all. Point still stands, most couldn't name many songs outside of the hits.

Strange you said The Who couldn't be. Almost as if you got the wrong end of the stick from the chat on this last page...

I have them all. Point still stands, most couldn't name many songs outside of the hits.

Strange you said The Who couldn't be. Almost as if you got the wrong end of the stick from the chat on this last page...

Was simply applying your own definition, which seems to be under constant review.

Was simply applying your own definition, which seems to be under constant review.
Nope. I know what a singles band is marra. And I hoyed up The Who as I, and others, understand them to be a great one.

Right, next match coming up. Have a good un.

Something a bit more recent, probably not the best but deserve a mention - Stereophonics
  • Local Boy In a Photograph
  • More Life In a Tramps Vest
  • A Thousand Trees
  • Traffic
  • The Bartender and The Thief
  • Just Looking
  • Pick a Part That's New
  • I Wouldn't Believe Your Radio
  • Hurry Up and Wait
  • Mr Writer
  • Have a Nice Day
  • Step On My Old Size Nines
  • Handbag and Gladrags
  • Vegas Two Times
  • Madame Helga
  • Maybe Tomorrow
  • Since I Told You It's Over
  • Moviestar
  • Dakota
  • Superman
  • Devil
  • Rewind
  • It Means Nothing
Quite a streak imo, then they turned a bit shit after that bar a few songs in 2013/15

Also a mention to The Killers who might not be everyone's cup of tea on here but will be looked at similar to Madness in the future, everyone know's some of their songs ie. Human and Mr Brightside but wouldn't have a clue on their albums.

Def Leppard had 19 top 40 hits, twelve of which were top 20s mate. That's more than a few!

Sweet had 5 number 2s and a number 1. About fifteen hits in all.

If we're going to bring in who wrote what then Chinnichap are the singles kings along with S.A.W.

Thing is that Def Leppard never hid their desire to have hit singles and be on TOTP…and yet they didnt have a top 40 UK single until “Animal” changed everything for them in the UK…..nearly all their “hits” came from Hysteria and the follow up Adrenalize.
Pyromania their third album contained two potentiallly massive hits in Photograph and Rock of Ages but neither made top 40 in the UK
Rick Allens accident partly paved the way for their success in the UK, but perhaps more so their success in America….the music press changed their tune about them once they went huge in the US

Funnily enough Iron Maiden have had more top 40 hits in the UK than Leppard ( including a number 1 single ) but they never ever wrote for the singles market …..but they have their fanatical UK following to thank for that…..Maiden never got the “pop” audience that Leppard eventually got after the success of Animal and Hysteria

I can't stand Madness. Always came over as a novelty act to me, and the people who likes them always seemed to be the thick as shit, easily pleased types. Also, Suggs supports Chelsea. Nothing to like there.

I can't stand Madness. Always came over as a novelty act to me, and the people who likes them always seemed to be the thick as shit, easily pleased types. Also, Suggs s upports Chelsea. Nothing to like there.
Thought I was on my own with this one. Yep, novelty act...might as well have worn clown outfits. Suggs, you're a nice bloke but you cant sing, you talk, you have no range...it's a durge.

I feel better now....thanks marra 👍

Back