Weird PC problem

Scotty

Striker
ok guys and gals, need some assistance

been messing around with some of my old pc stuff.

I have an old HD 7970 that has always been a no display. Thought i'd try to flash the vbios just in case (as i've just successfully reflashed a 390X that was randomly crashing)

anyhows - using a second card i can get into windows and tried to flash the vbios - turns out it was already on that version

windows detects both my cards, and drivers install for them both (using a GT1030 as the display out)

shutdown and connect the cable to the 7970 with the 1030 still in the secondary slot (without a cable) and it boots into windows, runs heaven, gets very hot, completes the run

shutdown and remove the 1030 and startup again - to get a no display

put the 1030 back in slot 2 - works again

anyone got any ideas as to why this is happening, cos its driving me potty

:)

safe mode, normal mode both fine - it works perfectly when the second GPU is plugged in a pcie slot, but as soon as i remove the second card it goes back to a no display

I'm guessing when the 7970 is plugged in on its own you can't get into safe mode? No display at all I'm guessing, not even the ability to see the boot screen or get into BIOS?
What does windows device manager say about the 7970?

I'm guessing when the 7970 is plugged in on its own you can't get into safe mode? No display at all I'm guessing, not even the ability to see the boot screen or get into BIOS?
What does windows device manager say about the 7970?

yep, no display when its on its own

device manager detects it as the second card when the GT1030 is powering the display, and it detects it when the 7970 is powering the display (as long as the GT1030 is in a pcie slot)

am tempted to pick up the cheapest pcie or pci card i can find of any type - just to see if i can replicate it with something other than a gpu

Probably a faulty component on the card, since it works with a basic vga mode.

You say it gets hot. What part gets hot? The gpu itself?
Could simply need repasting?

Probably a faulty component on the card, since it works with a basic vga mode.

You say it gets hot. What part gets hot? The gpu itself?
Could simply need repasting?

thats the thing though, its actually installing the drivers and running through a full heaven benchmark (with results matching a working 7970) - but only with a second card installed (but second card does not have a cable connected, so its not the second card driving the display)

as for getting hot, its an old HD7970, then ran hot anyway and 1 of the 3 fans doesnt spin - it never had a repaste of fan repair cos it was a no display...

its just weird, so i thought i'd see if anyone else had ever had wierdness like this before

Back