Website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MalmöMakem

Midfield
Putting the final touches to a basic site for myself and would like for some opinions.

Few things to ignore;

The Lorem Ipsum on a few pages that I still need to write up
Likewise the home page text I'm not sure I'm happy with
The shop is just there for visual purposes until I get that sorted.
Social links page will be sorted out when i get to it. Icons on the banner work. (500px and Flickr)
Portrait page needs doing. have enough photos, but not good variety. Have at least 3/4 models i'll be photographing over the next two weeks. And I hope my self portrait is a bit better.

Think that covers most bases.

www.ckphtgrphy.moonfruit.com

*the site name will be updated as well as my chosen name for it all (so won't be ck photography)

No expert in these things, but a couple of observations;

Basically, it seems fine. Functionality seems straight forward etc...
You need to be clearer about your target audience and your speciality. E.g. you documenting important events, does that include weddings?
By commercial, do you mean corporate? If so, should you focus on shooting conferences, product launches, etc... ?
Are you promoting CK Photography as a firm or a one man band. Your opening text suggests a firm, the footer is more one man band.
You have a 500 and flickr link on the homepage, add a FB link.

There was a thread by HebburnMackem not long ago asking for similar advice. People who work in the filed got quite geeky about font sizes and colours :-D check it out.

Hope this helps.

just seen this, will come back with some feedback later on MM :cool:

I've had time to sit down and take a look. In addition to what Steeeed has correctly highlighted:

Most obvious is the use of text vs use of flash - you have a fair amount of text and it really needs to be exactly that - text. At the moment you will get zero exposure in search engines because they cannot create a picture of you from your content. Consider scraping flash all together, it's a dead tech for allot of very valid reasons.

I would consider applying less emphasis on your use of Flickr and 500px - they're tools and become unnecessary design elements on you site. Perhaps use small, none-intrusive links in the footer. Reasons 2 fold: 1) you need to retain the visitor and direct him to your own in-site gallery 2) no offence, but they come across allot less serious then say 1x.com.

Much better picture on your about page - I like it. A nice crop and looks professional; nice processing aswell - all the zits have gone. I see the holding text - I assume you won't be creating quite so much text.

Same applies to contact page.

Put all your social efforts into a blog marra, bollocks to Facebook and Twitter IMO. Blog about every shoot you do visually and use this as your search engine target, drive customers to your gallery from your blog.

Top work on your galleries - very well thought out and some honestly brilliant photography.. TBH I would consider perhaps using some of this work through the site in various capacities - your header for example: can your favourite work be cycled in the header?

Finally; a point Steeeed made, which is massively important, is how you identify with your customers: are you an SME or an artist?

A few things need sorting in my opinion.
Opening and closing pictures is a pain in the bum, you don't have enough work to bother about thumbnails.
Your header is huge, is the picture of the stadium that good that it needs to be shown constantly.
Far too much text, and its too small.
Get rid of the 500 and flicker, keep people on your site, use flicker and 500 to push people to your site.
Whats wrong with Andrew Cook Photography. Who are CK Photography? Which photographer am I going to get when booking you?
Your commercial work is all documentary work.
Remove your address, HFK design, and quickly get a new email address.
Good choice of colours, neutral and professional, and apart from the opening and closing of pics is simple to use and not overly fancy. My first website was a disgrace, it was like a power point presentation with pictures flying about all over the place!

In my opinion a website should be a cheap way to show your portfolio.
Other people will disagree i'm sure, but I wouldn't bother with search engine optimisation, I don't think you'll get much random passing traffic that will generate well paid jobs.
Word of mouth and you knocking on doors will get you more work.

If you really want people to stumble across you on the internet then keep it as it is and do some key word stuff, but i'd also have a clean image heavy portfolio that you can send people to.

Remember you are now competing with every other photographer, make sure you are checking on the competition and trying to be better than them, and making yourself look as professional as possible.

Also remember you are now trying to run a business, its not all about taking pretty pictures. Think what people will pay money for. Lots of people have access to cameras now and think they are photographers make sure that your pictures look like they have something special about them, something that your customer could not achieve on their own.

In my opinion a website should be a cheap way to show your portfolio.
Other people will disagree i'm sure, but I wouldn't bother with search engine optimisation, I don't think you'll get much random passing traffic that will generate well paid jobs.
Word of mouth and you knocking on doors will get you more work.

Some good points Jonny, but I strongly disagree with the above. Any photographer with a website, a portfolio and ambition would be mental to not apply at least 25% of development time getting this right.

Word of mouth and door knocking are of course his primary sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
2 thoughts, why the stadium in the header? And, your commercial section has mostly sports shots, imo these are your best photos, can you not concentrate on something more like that?

cheers for some of the advice lads.

commercial wise i'm looking at doing sporting events and public events. But looking into things like ceremonies/parties/presentation nights. Also lined up a bit of work with recreation clubs. so for example taking photos at their events. so anything from team photos to photographing events they have running.

So for example I'm working with a local football team. Doing team photo, all press images and also designing a new team crest.

Then I've got an enquiry in with a local snooker and bowls clubs. Team photo for the social club of the bowls team. some snooker shots to put on walls.

Also going back to TNS when they play in the champions league in July (full press access etc) Possibly going to the away leg too.

Also wanting to stick to my artistic elements. So with the portraits and environment photos I want to use my own take on that as much as possible.

paid work for the portraits. then try to sell the environment type photos as framed prints. (have a good print company sorted)

Will take on board all the other advice given and see if i can implement it into what I've done.

The brand wise. still not sure what I'm going with but i will edit the text so its more streamed to showing its just me and not a company. so the name of that will change from ck photography.

Already have a fb and twitter and a design blog. but will set one up solely for this photography stuff. appreciate the idea of documenting each shoot etc. so will go with that for sure.

Erm might have missed some stuff out. if i have i'll post more up.

cheers again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back