Weather in Dubai

Yer my sisters been sending me videos, she’s got young kids who are shitting it cause they’ve never seen anything like it

Dubai roads are lethal when it rains. Mix water with a lot of sand and you have a slippery mess. The drains aren't designed to cope so everywhere floods quickly, car tyres are designed for dry roads and drivers don't know how to drive in the wet.

At least it usually dries out quickly so the best way to cope is to stay inside.
It’s such a weird sand. Slightly wet and it’s like an ice rink, very wet then it’s like mashed potato

Dubai roads are lethal when it rains. Mix water with a lot of sand and you have a slippery mess. The drains aren't designed to cope so everywhere floods quickly, car tyres are designed for dry roads and drivers don't know how to drive in the wet.

At least it usually dries out quickly so the best way to cope is to stay inside.
Also known as quicksand :eek: :lol: The one thing every kid feared growing up watching adventure films as it seemed like it was everywhere :lol:

They'll need to build a storm drain network like they have under Vegas. My mate lives in Dubai and reckons this year they've had a lot more rain than usual.

The storm started yesterday and came in waves - we decided to close our business for the day because we know how bad the flooding gets after a bit of rain. A lot of who didn't stay at home ended up getting stranded - people slept in cars on flooded roads.

Amublances couldn't reach people needing help. Flights have been cancelled because flight crew can't get to the airport. Supermarkets and shops can't get supplies and staff can't get to work. We've pretty much written tomorrow off too.

Our community is fine - it's actually quite nice now - but getting in or out isn't really possible because of flooding of the approach roads.

All in all, had a week off for Eid and now having a few more days off because of the puddles.

Got caught in a similar storm there 4 years ago at this time of year. Held back about 12 hours in Manchester, then sent on our way. Dubai airport is a hub for all sorts of routes and it was chaos, with thousands of people besieging airline desks to reschedule flights all over the place. I eventually got away on the right flight (to Kochi), but 24 hours later than the original one.

Knackered by the time I got to my hotel, having missed day 1 of my tour. I feel for the passengers trapped in the terminal there.

I got back to the UK just about 10days before lockdown. :lol:

Last edited:

Back