Watch Dune 1 and Dune 2 . Absolutely brilliant ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘Œ

Really tired of every character delivering their dialogue in whispery tones

Thought it was fine but nothing special
When I first tried watching it, that got difficult. Our telly is getting old now and the speakers started to rattle. Loud bass music half the time then really quiet whispers. The volume was up and down, then the telly would vibrate. At least it prompted me to fix it. The wife and kids continued to watch with subtitles, but that was doing my head in so I went to do something else. I still didn't make it much further the second time around, but at least the sounds was better.

When I first tried watching it, that got difficult. Our telly is getting old now and the speakers started to rattle. Loud bass music half the time then really quiet whispers. The volume was up and down, then the telly would vibrate. At least it prompted me to fix it. The wife and kids continued to watch with subtitles, but that was doing my head in so I went to do something else. I still didn't make it much further the second time around, but at least the sounds was better.
My family watched both in IMAX. We had nachos, popcorn, chocolate, sweets, and massive soft drinks. We had a great time mate.

Really tired of every character delivering their dialogue in whispery tones

This is becoming more and more common across all genres of film, tv and streaming services. I have no idea why anyone thinks itโ€™s a good idea. If theyโ€™re going for naturalism, then they are wrong. Because if it was natural, nobody would notice. Plus, of course, no fucker talks like that in real life.

Watched first one and thought a bit slow but knew it was leading up to something. Went to cinema for the 2nd and thought it was brilliant

This is becoming more and more common across all genres of film, tv and streaming services. I have no idea why anyone thinks itโ€™s a good idea. If theyโ€™re going for naturalism, then they are wrong. Because if it was natural, nobody would notice. Plus, of course, no fucker talks like that in real life.
It is odd. It is the same as being filmed with lots of dark shots. It is like they are just built for cinema. The dark cinema screen, the top quality cinema sound system.

But these days, fewer people are going to the cinema and more people are enjoying watching releases a few weeks later at home. Then the film has a limited shelf life at the cinema anyway, at which point the home audience is the only way of making more money.

For dark scenes, I have been watching through Peaky Blinders and so much of that is set in near darkness. During the day, if there is any sunlight in the room then I'm just going by the voices as to who is in the scene. That was made for home TV.

The whispering I would not mind so much, if there was a complete imbalance between the volume and intensity of the music. You crank the volume up, no problem. Next minute the windows are rattling because the music kicks in.

Tried to watch the first one. Got a bit bored after half an hour and ended up scrolling on my phone (probably chatting shit on here) whilst watching it so probably missed a lot and didn't end up understanding who was who and what was going on. A lot of people say it's class though so I might eventually try to watch it again and ban myself from mobile devices whilst doing it! I did get the impression that not much was going on mind

They basically add up to one long film with an intermission. If a five and a half hour film about psychedelic worms, politics, terrorism, weirdness and basically a futuristic cross between Lawrence of Arabia and Game of Thrones, this is the best possible version of it

Bearing in mind that if you wanted a definition of โ€˜denseโ€™ in terms if sci fi lit, the dictionary would refer you to the Dune books, the current filums do an excellent job of distilling the story to the most cinematic aspects.

Bearing in mind that if you wanted a definition of โ€˜denseโ€™ in terms if sci fi lit, the dictionary would refer you to the Dune books, the current filums do an excellent job of distilling the story to the most cinematic aspects.

Also bearing in mind the people making it have to convince someone to part with hundreds of millions of dollars to make the films then convince your average multiplex audience pay to watch it in sufficient numbers to satisfy the investors *and* keep fans of the source material onside, it's quite the balancing act

As above . Truly believe if you see fantastic films ๐ŸŽฅ. Pass on the word . First one class second one brilliant. Can't wait for 3rd one now . My mate said lord of rings triology still the best . But . Dune 1 / 2 class like
Pisses allover the star wars ewan mcgregor spin offs
I'm going to stick my neck out and say these 2 films are some of the best Sci fi that's ever been made, up there with the like likes of The Expanse for me. Absolutely unreal to experience in IMAX. Hats off to everyone involved particularly Denis Villeneuve and Hans Zimmer. Shits all over Star wars etc.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say these 2 films are some of the best Sci fi that's ever been made, up there with the like likes of The Expanse for me. Absolutely unreal to experience in IMAX. Hats off to everyone involved particularly Denis Villeneuve and Hans Zimmer. Shits all over Star wars etc.
Can't wait for part 3
Will be up there with the best trilogys ever produced
Brilliant films

Tried to watch the first one. Got a bit bored after half an hour and ended up scrolling on my phone (probably chatting shit on here) whilst watching it so probably missed a lot and didn't end up understanding who was who and what was going on. A lot of people say it's class though so I might eventually try to watch it again and ban myself from mobile devices whilst doing it! I did get the impression that not much was going on mind
Looking at this thread, it feels a bit Marmite.

It looks like half the people just got bored and found it too slow, too uneventful. The other half think it was the absolute best thing ever.

It scores 8.0 and 8.7 on IMDB, where the original Star Wars trilogy was 8.6, 8.7, 8.3, so fairly similar.

Rotten Tomatoes has 83% and 93%, Star Wars at 93%, 95% and 83%, so again both scoring very highly.

Perhaps I should give it a third try, especially with the second one scoring higher. May be next time I'm ill or something, just have a long session.

Looking at this thread, it feels a bit Marmite.

It looks like half the people just got bored and found it too slow, too uneventful. The other half think it was the absolute best thing ever.

It scores 8.0 and 8.7 on IMDB, where the original Star Wars trilogy was 8.6, 8.7, 8.3, so fairly similar.

Rotten Tomatoes has 83% and 93%, Star Wars at 93%, 95% and 83%, so again both scoring very highly.

Perhaps I should give it a third try, especially with the second one scoring higher. May be next time I'm ill or something, just have a long session.
It must be a trait of getting old but I just love character led action films. I don't need explosions every 2 mins to keep me interested. I much prefer the world building to be fluid and the characters to develop organically. If that means more dialogue and less pew pew then I'm up for it.

One minor gripe with the second film was how the Harkonans were depicted as being somewhat incompetent. In the 1st they came across quite bad ass, decimating the whole Atreides clan in one night. Then the 2nd, they couldn't handle the Freman and Paul.

Back