Watch Dune 1 and Dune 2 . Absolutely brilliant 👏 👌

It must be a trait of getting old but I just love character led action films. I don't need explosions every 2 mins to keep me interested. I much prefer the world building to be fluid and the characters to develop organically. If that means more dialogue and less pew pew then I'm up for it.

One minor gripe with the second film was how the Harkonans were depicted as being somewhat incompetent. In the 1st they came across quite bad ass, decimating the whole Atreides clan in one night. Then the 2nd, they couldn't handle the Freman and Paul.
Same here about characters. A lot of action films I just call effects films, because that is what they really are, just a showcase of how well they can do effects no plot.

But the characters have to be engaging and the development of the plot at a decent pace. I can’t remember the name of a single character from part 1 (first half).

Was there much significant in the second half of the first one, or any must watch scenes? With part two reviewed much higher, I might just do one of the 5 minute recaps on YouTube and pick it up again from there.

I watched part 1 again. Before watching 2 . So fully in loop with characters etc . As iv said imo both excellent 👏. Can't wait for part 3

It must be a trait of getting old but I just love character led action films. I don't need explosions every 2 mins to keep me interested. I much prefer the world building to be fluid and the characters to develop organically. If that means more dialogue and less pew pew then I'm up for it.

One minor gripe with the second film was how the Harkonans were depicted as being somewhat incompetent. In the 1st they came across quite bad ass, decimating the whole Atreides clan in one night. Then the 2nd, they couldn't handle the Freman and Paul.

They only decimated the whole Atreides clan as Dr Yeuh let them in on the sly and they had the Sardaukar fighting for them.

Feyd Rathua/Austin Butler does knack them a bit in the second one, they have to retreat to the south.

The second fillum skips over it a bit but Paul trains the Fremen to fight like the Atriedes (they were the best fighters before they all got killed) and there is millions of them. Plus, add in the jihadi angle and they are top shaggers.

In the second Paul is god after drinking the water of life and can see the outcome of every action so nobody can handle him, he chooses the options which lead to their victory.

LISAN AL GAIB!

Last edited:
I watched part 1 again. Before watching 2 . So fully in loop with characters etc . As iv said imo both excellent 👏. Can't wait for part 3
Do you know how long it is before part 3 is expected? I might wait and do all 3 over a few weeks, rather than years apart.

Same here about characters. A lot of action films I just call effects films, because that is what they really are, just a showcase of how well they can do effects no plot.

But the characters have to be engaging and the development of the plot at a decent pace. I can’t remember the name of a single character from part 1 (first half).

Was there much significant in the second half of the first one, or any must watch scenes? With part two reviewed much higher, I might just do one of the 5 minute recaps on YouTube and pick it up again from there.
Yeah I would say so. 1st half of the 1st film was just setting the scene and characters imo. Harkonans giving Arakis to House Atreides, sabotaging the equipment, introduction of the Bene Gesserit etc. 3rd act is where it kicks off really. baldies annihilate Atreides. Duncan Idaho helping Paul and his mam to the Freman's sietch. Where there is a massive fight. Paul escapes but has to fight one of the Freman's as a sort of initiation.

As 'must' watch scenes go. The sequel has much more imo. Not incumbered with so much world building it can really go to town. The scene of him riding the grandfather worm was class, Freman destroying the Harkonans mining transports, colosseum fight on Giedi prime and the final fight to name a few.

The best scene for me was when Paul gives a speech to the Leaders of the Freman, basically declaring a jihad. Didn't think Timothy Chalomet had it in him tbh. Fair play.

Special mention to the cinematography of Giedi prime (Harkonans home planet) at first I thought it was just black and white but it's not it has colour just gets washed away with the light from the black sun. Ingenious.
If they're owt like the original I'll give them a swerve. Christ it seemed to go on forever.
Not long enough for some mate ;)

Last edited:

It’s coz of The Force.
They only decimated the whole Atreides clan as Dr Yeuh let them in on the sly and they had the Sardaukar fighting for them.

Feyd Rathua/Austin Butler does knack them a bit in the second one, they have to retreat to the south.

The second fillum skips over it a bit but Paul trains the Fremen to fight like the Atriedes (they were the best fighters before they all got killed) and there is millions of them. Plus, add in the jihadi angle and they are top shaggers.

In the second Paul is god after drinking the water of life and can see the outcome of every action so nobody can handle him, he chooses the options which lead to their victory.

LISAN AL GAIB!

An aficionado!

I shamefacedly admit to memorising the Litany against Fear and mentally reciting it before giving conference presentations, job interviews and hand-to-hand combat with armed assassins.

Last edited:
It’s coz of The Force.

An aficionado!

I shamefacedly admit to memorising the Litany against Fear and mentally reciting it before giving conference presentations, job interviews and hand-to-hand combat with armed assassins.

I milk cats before job interviews and pull out young men’s heart plugs before conference presentations.

Before hand to hand combat I put my knob in a gom jabbar.

Yeah I would say so. 1st half of the 1st film was just setting the scene and characters imo. Harkonans giving Arakis to House Atreides, sabotaging the equipment, introduction of the Bene Gesserit etc. 3rd act is where it kicks off really. baldies annihilate Atreides. Duncan Idaho helping Paul and his mam to the Freman's sietch. Where there is a massive fight. Paul escapes but has to fight one of the Freman's as a sort of initiation.

As 'must' watch scenes go. The sequel has much more imo. Not incumbered with so much world building it can really go to town. The scene of him riding the grandfather worm was class, Freman destroying the Harkonans mining transports, colosseum fight on Giedi prime and the final fight to name a few.

The best scene for me was when Paul gives a speech to the Leaders of the Freman, basically declaring a jihad. Didn't think Timothy Chalomet had it in him tbh. Fair play.

Special mention to the cinematography of Giedi prime (Harkonans home planet) at first I thought it was just black and white but it's not it has colour just gets washed away with the light from the black sun. Ingenious.

Not long enough for some mate ;)
Cheers. If the third part is only a year or so away then I'll probably just hang on and do all three on consecutive weekends. I think the kids thought it was ok so if they ask I might just jump straight into the second and see if it makes sense.

Tried to watch the first one. Got a bit bored after half an hour and ended up scrolling on my phone (probably chatting shit on here) whilst watching it so probably missed a lot and didn't end up understanding who was who and what was going on. A lot of people say it's class though so I might eventually try to watch it again and ban myself from mobile devices whilst doing it! I did get the impression that not much was going on mind
Just dont do science fiction me like. Shite imo. Great if others enjoy.

I hate to be pedantic, but they’re not the best fighters then, are they?

You overlooked the point that they only all got killed as Dr Yeuh let the shield wall down and sabotaged all of the defences.

Surprise attack by the Harkonnens and Sardaukar.

Enjoyed the books though I had to eventually give up after god emperor… liked the 1984 version despite its flaws. Fell asleep watching dune pt1 but I will go back to it before I watch 2.
It is basically one very long movie, based on a very long book. Split into 2 parts rather than an original and a “sequel”.

Back