Was Di Canio ahead of his time?

Unless it’s making the players pile on any clem and the rest of their diet is in order, I don’t see what the problem is with ketchup or any other kind of treat, especially if it made the players happier and it didn’t negatively affect their performances. Surely you’d have more of a problem if the players were pissed off if they were being treat like children.

Unless it’s making the players pile on any clem and the rest of their diet is in order, I don’t see what the problem is with ketchup or any other kind of treat, especially if it made the players happier and it didn’t negatively affect their performances. Surely you’d have more of a problem if the players were pissed off if they were being treat like children.

They shouldn't be eating any staff meals that require ketchup ffs. It's not school dinners they're professional athletes.

You hear loads of managers and pros from any sport talking about the 1%ers that can really make the difference (their opinion) between success and failure.

These kind of measures get picked up on and highlighted as insightful and brilliant if you’re winning, as soon as you start losing its daft and pointless.

On a completely different subject, I was listening to a podcast with Adam Peatys swimming coach Mel Marshall. She was talking about little challenges she’d do as a coacfor Peaty she broke his goggles just before a big race when he was younger. To see how he coped and how resilient he was.

Hmm, no. You have missed my point and just said the same thing again mate.

They're athletes, being fed at work. They shouldn't be being served anything that ketchup would go on.

They don’t have to exclusively eat steamed chicken, rice and broccoli you know. My point is, being too restricting on their diet can cause them to seek the forbidden foods out of sight and then you can’t monitor it. Also, there’s the psychology aspect of it - if they feel like they’re being treat like kids they’re not going to respond very well.

I do agree that they shouldn’t be slavering their dinners in a bottle’s worth of HP, eating bags of Walkers and having a litre of ice cream regularly but a little leeway can have bigger picture positive effects. It’s a strange hill to die on is all I’m saying.

They don’t have to exclusively eat steamed chicken, rice and broccoli you know. My point is, being too restricting on their diet can cause them to seek the forbidden foods out of sight and then you can’t monitor it. Also, there’s the psychology aspect of it - if they feel like they’re being treat like kids they’re not going to respond very well.

I do agree that they shouldn’t be slavering their dinners in a bottle’s worth of HP, eating bags of Walkers and having a litre of ice cream regularly but a little leeway can have bigger picture positive effects. It’s a strange hill to die on is all I’m saying.

They can eat pizza or chips on their own time though. When they're not at their job. As a professional athlete.

They can eat pizza or chips on their own time though. When they're not at their job. As a professional athlete.

That’s my point though, allow them a little slack, foods that they enjoy in an appropriate amount, when you can monitor it and they’ll be far less likely to binge on bad food when you’re not cooking for them. They’re humans not robots and being too restrictive will cause rebellion.

I think he would always be too much of a nutter to ever be successful at the highest level. I think tactically, he left a lot to be desired too, nor could he spot a good player. But in a way, yes.

His massive focus on diet and fitness came at a time when English football had been seduced by the idea of having a "Pirlo" type player, basically because he passed us to death at the EUROs while looking cool and effortless and chipped in a Panenka. It was a time when Colback got an England call-up and Shelvey could expect to get in the team ahead of Henderson. He was in the wrong era, really, although his man management skills would have still been his downfall.

Personall I think its more of a mental thing, no mayo, no ketchup, basically not cutting any corners in preparation, I'm not such it would have too much affect on the body.

Noticed Beheddie has cut down on the biscuits in the post-bruce dressing room and is consulting his sports nutritionists about ketchup too

Back