Wanted: Inspiring name for Europe's 2020 Mars rover

• Thread starter Deleted member 40035
  • Start date

I worked on a tender to build the ultra clean assembly facility for this at Airbus in Stevenage. Did a couple of trips down there and got embroiled in a lot of the tech that surrounds it. Interesting, and would have been good if we'd won it and built it out.
They have to be 100% certain they know all of the bio-organisms that remain on it, if any, once it's finally packaged up otherwise they may detect them on Mars and think they've found life but have actually taken it up with them.
Similarly anything that is on it could evolve on Mars and be "discovered" on later missions.
NASA have actually discovered new organisms they didn't previously know of when analysing the swabs they take when assembling some of their kit

I worked on a tender to build the ultra clean assembly facility for this at Airbus in Stevenage. Did a couple of trips down there and got embroiled in a lot of the tech that surrounds it. Interesting, and would have been good if we'd won it and built it out.
They have to be 100% certain they know all of the bio-organisms that remain on it, if any, once it's finally packaged up otherwise they may detect them on Mars and think they've found life but have actually taken it up with them.
Similarly anything that is on it could evolve on Mars and be "discovered" on later missions.
NASA have actually discovered new organisms they didn't previously know of when analysing the swabs they take when assembling some of their kit

Given they're guessing there may be life 70km above the surface of Venus in a 70 C sulphuric acid cloud layer that exists at that height (as opposed to parched and 450 C at the surface), then if true it is very feasible we could take microbes to Mars and they could survive there to be "rediscovered".

I can't see why they don't load a spacecraft with micro organisms that can survive on Mars and just get the place seeded.

Back