Waddle on Shelvey......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelvey is a good player. When he got in to the England side he looked very comfortable and I expected him to be a regular. Unfortunately for him he's massively inconsistent and it seems to be all about what's going on in his head. He went to Liverpool and was hit and miss, he went to Swansea and was seen as a 1 good game in 5 type of player. He's at Newcastle and he's in and out. There's no doubt he's got real talent but at 25 I don't see him achieving the consistency to become a top player. People who are saying he's shite are just letting their bias rule their opinions.

I can't think of one in my lifetime that I can remember. 1994 team possibly or Keegans 2000 side.
Much of the same - some decent players, badly utilised.

If you're the same age as me then fair enough - it probably is one of the worst in our lifetimes.

McClaren managed to turn out some bad England sides despite the absolute wealth of talent available anarl.

Keegans 2000 shouldn’t have been bad. Beckham, scholes, nevilles, Owen, Rio, shearer.

Problem was Keegan was the coach.
Correct.

People calling for Shelvey are the same type as those calling for Carroll.

Look at the systems that the top English players are playing in. Do any of them rely on a long pass merchant? Do they bollocks.

It's generally energetic, attacking full/wingbacks on the overlap. A central striker supported by wider forwards, or by attacking midfielders in the hole. Variations on 4-3-3, or recently 3-4-2-1. A central midfield that can drive from deep, but most importantly can recycle possession quickly to the attackers.

Yet callers into talkSport want 4-4-f***ing-2.

That Shelvey is even in the conversation is a damning indictment of Southgate's ability and the talent available to him.

I’ve had mags saying he’s 10x the player of Henderson :oops::lol::lol::lol:

Aye sure he is lads if he left Newcastle tomorrow his next club would be someone like Burnley WBA Stoke while Henderson would have top clubs after him

Hes better than Harry Winks and Jake Livermore, I'm convinced of that.
So are a fair few players :neutral:

Shelvey is a good player. When he got in to the England side he looked very comfortable and I expected him to be a regular. Unfortunately for him he's massively inconsistent and it seems to be all about what's going on in his head. He went to Liverpool and was hit and miss, he went to Swansea and was seen as a 1 good game in 5 type of player. He's at Newcastle and he's in and out. There's no doubt he's got real talent but at 25 I don't see him achieving the consistency to become a top player. People who are saying he's shite are just letting their bias rule their opinions.
White baldy Tom Huddlestone

He is a good player and it is mad that Harry Winks is called up, which makes me suspect Southgate hasn't even watched a Newcastle match. But Jonjo is bloody crazy, you can't really go into a tournament with someone who is likely to get sent off or suspended. Well maybe if they were amazing, but at best he is a squad player.

I actually listened to all of the 5 Live commentary as I was driving back from Liverpool. Everything that Waddle said was fair enough. He was complaining that England's centre midfield wasn't creative enough, and was too 'samey', and that we didn't need two holding midfield players last night. He was complaining about players not being able to pick passes and spot runs. He was asked about various options - Wilshere, Alli - and said that they weren't the answer to the problem. He was asked who England could play to play that role. At which point he said that Shelvey was the best we had as that kind of player.

He didn't compare him to Pirlo or describe him as the answer to England's problems.

As ever, once you get beyond the accent and actually listen to the words that he says, he was absolutely spot on about where we are going wrong.

Do feel free to have a hissy fit about misreported comments about a Mag in The Sun if it makes you happy though.

I’ve had mags saying he’s 10x the player of Henderson :oops::lol::lol::lol:

Aye sure he is lads if he left Newcastle tomorrow his next club would be someone like Burnley WBA Stoke while Henderson would have top clubs after him

Shelvey went to Liverpool and was sold on, Henderson went and is captain......take from that what you want

Aye great thinking Chris, until he gets himself sent off in a World Cup game.

Southgate will be well aware of Shelveys ability, likewise his temperament. He is too much of a risk for a tournament when officials will be told to clamp down to let the Prima Donnas strut their stuff

Look at the systems that the top English players are playing in. Do any of them rely on a long pass merchant? Do they bollocks.

It's generally energetic, attacking full/wingbacks on the overlap. A central striker supported by wider forwards, or by attacking midfielders in the hole. Variations on 4-3-3, or recently 3-4-2-1. A central midfield that can drive from deep, but most importantly can recycle possession quickly to the attackers.

That Shelvey is even in the conversation is a damning indictment of Southgate's ability and the talent available to him.

England are Fookin dog shit..........their play reflects the personality of the Fookin FA Dullard coaching them, he makes Woy look like Les Fookin Dawson

Is that the long way round of saying he's shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back