Vietnam an epic tragedy . Max Hastings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The odds of being involved in war throughout history are probably pretty minuscule tbh.

You Reckon?
Id have said the opposite- interesting to find out the answer.

Cheers

If South Vietnam had won and the country was eventually reunited under a non communist system Vietnam today would be a much richer and prosperous country similiar to South Korea,Japan and Hong Kong in terms of economic development.
We will never know but from my understanding the Vietnamese were fed up of foreign involvement (France, Japan) also Chinese interests, then USA. They just wanted independence and rallied behind communism/Ho Chi Minh even if they weren’t politically motivated.

We will never know but from my understanding the Vietnamese were fed up of foreign involvement (France, Japan) also Chinese interests, then USA. They just wanted independence and rallied behind communism/Ho Chi Minh even if they weren’t politically motivated.

That the bloke who left a trail of devastation behind?

The odds of being involved in war throughout history are probably pretty minuscule tbh.

Civil wars certainly are and with good reason. They always seem to have an extra brutality to them. Neighbour against neighbour and brother against brother seems to bring the worst out of us as a species. Tragedy is the word for Vietnam though. You still see the effects of the war today and it could have easily been avoided. Just ignorance and stupidity.

I reckon that there's a lowish risk too of war in general in your lifetime but watch out if you happen to be born in wrong part of that particular century. Cos you'd be marching.

On a day out to see a Vietnamese coffee harvest we got talking about the amount of mopeds on the roads.

The guide said that deaths on the roads are rising due to the cheap Chinese mopeds undercutting the good makes. 'Yes...even after all these centuries the Chinese manage to come up with new and inventive ways to kill Vietnamese people.'

You Reckon?

Cheers
I would think so. Let’s look at the UK. How many wars have we had that involved conscription
You Reckon?

Cheers
Ok, I’ve crunched the numbers. Using the last 200 years, as we have records for that: Let’s say for arguments sake that 300,000 men are born in the UK every year.
so that’s 60 million men in 200 years.
The entire death toll of UK personnel in every war since 1815 is 1.5 million.
So on average you’ve had a 2.5% chance of dying. But a lot of those were professional soldiers who were there by choice, so that’s going to bring the odds of a civilian being called up and dying down a fraction I would have thought. So maybe a 2% then? Odds of 50/1 don’t seem that bad.

I would think so. Let’s look at the UK. How many wars have we had that involved conscription

Ok, I’ve crunched the numbers. Using the last 200 years, as we have records for that: Let’s say for arguments sake that 300,000 men are born in the UK every year.
So on average you’ve had a 2.5% chance of dying. But a lot of those were professional soldiers who were there by choice, so that’s going to bring the odds of a civilian being called up and dying down a fraction I would have thought. So maybe a 2% then? Odds of 50/1 don’t seem that bad.

Interesting.
Middle Ages, crusades and in the days of genghis, Caesar etc must have been hard to avoid war or living somewhere without invasion.

Before the Americans had gone in The French used a group of ex-SS soldiers to go into villages and burn them down and round up civilians. Incredible how they could do that when only a few years earlier the SS were doing that to French citizens.

How Charlie company led by William Calley got of virtually scott free for the My Lai massacre still baffles me to this day.

It`s amazing how there is always money to fight wars on the other side of the world yet anyone asks for free health care and education and they`re called communists.
I saw a documentary about the massacre on the pbs channel, unbelievable.

Interesting.
Middle Ages, crusades and in the days of genghis, Caesar etc must have been hard to avoid war or living somewhere without invasion.
Oh aye, I’m sure they rounded up anyone they could. But there were also a lot less people back then, so less a chance of escaping it. We also still have it in our heads that once you go off to war, that’s it. When in reality most people make it home again.

On a day out to see a Vietnamese coffee harvest we got talking about the amount of mopeds on the roads.

The guide said that deaths on the roads are rising due to the cheap Chinese mopeds undercutting the good makes. 'Yes...even after all these centuries the Chinese manage to come up with new and inventive ways to kill Vietnamese people.'
they dont get on,same with the cambodians,great fighters though and repelled a chinnese attack while sorting out pol pots rag tag army,i read somewhere they committed more troops to the cambo front than to repel the chinnese attack.

Even in the meat grinder of the trenches, 86% of soldiers survived. It seems scarcely believable when you see the footage.

yet englanders go mad when an EU is mentioned 🙄 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Why are you so anti-England in every thread?

The Vietnamese had a war with China in 1975 iirc.

Economic ruin, disease and famine are more deadly, and they are usually the by-product of conflict.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back