Video camera recommends?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Icarebecauseyoudo

Sounds like sketchy or someone might have an idea

Requirements

HD
Very portable and light (will have to be carried with all my other gear)
Good battery length
A lens big enough to filter (blu tac if necessary) using the Lee smaller filter system
Obv as good quality as poss for something small and light. Don't mind 2nd hand
Possibly summat that can do time lapse

Are the Canons any good?

I always intended to make a DVD to accompany a Scotland book.

Sounds like sketchy or someone might have an idea

Requirements

HD
Very portable and light (will have to be carried with all my other gear)
Good battery length
A lens big enough to filter (blu tac if necessary) using the Lee smaller filter system
Obv as good quality as poss for something small and light. Don't mind 2nd hand
Possibly summat that can do time lapse

Are the Canons any good?

I always intended to make a DVD to accompany a Scotland book.

I use Canon 60D.

What is your budget?

Depends on your budget - 5D Mkii is superb for the price and good lenses available cheapish. Huge files though which need decent spec machine if you are the one editing. But you may want smaller than an SLR of course...

Depends on your budget - 5D Mkii is superb for the price and good lenses available cheapish. Huge files though which need decent spec machine if you are the one editing. But you may want smaller than an SLR of course...

Yeah I do really. This has to be carried with all my pan gear. I have a friend with big stuff for any studio bits we may need to do

I use Canon 60D.

What is your budget?

Yeah, I don't want an SLR. Just a decent video camera

Yeah I do really. This has to be carried with all my pan gear. I have a friend with big stuff for any studio bits we may need to do

If you want really small and basically a point and shoot but good quality could go for a go pro. This can do timelapse as a seperate function as well.

Will you just be documenting what you are doing? Will you need clean audio of dialogue?

Yeah, I don't want an SLR. Just a decent video camera

I don't have much knowledge on cheaper non DSLR cameras to tell you the truth. For the price and size the go pros are great

Looks interesting, cheers

I work in the field of course. Usually a field ;)

Audio not very important, it's about the landscape

GoPros class for what they are - small, durable and take a real hammering but for landscape stuff I reckon you'd be better off with a mid to high end compact. More flexibility with zoom, ISO/exposure settings and a screen as standard.

GoPros have no means of composing a shot unless you buy an additional screen that attaches to the back and the lens is wiiiiide! Very basic functions and as sketchy says, sound is a bit shit. But class for action shots and placing in unusual places. :lol:

GoPros class for what they are - small, durable and take a real hammering but for landscape stuff I reckon you'd be better off with a mid to high end compact. More flexibility with zoom, ISO/exposure settings and a screen as standard.

GoPros have no means of composing a shot unless you buy an additional screen that attaches to the back and the lens is wiiiiide! Very basic functions and as sketchy says, sound is a bit shit. But class for action shots and placing in unusual places. :lol:

Ok. But why don't actual video cameras do what I want? :)

I definitely need zoom tbf

I think that is the kind of thing, yes. I need the best quality possible for that kinda size and zoom ratio

I've had a look and within the £200 range that looks the best for zoom. They will all be similar size and image quality.

If you see out else give me a shout and I'll give my opinion if you want it mate

Any of these have a timelapse setting?

Or is that easy to do with software anyway?

They can all do timelapse but it is video timelapse rather than stills, just a case of speeding up the footage in post.

I do all mine with stills but as long as you arn't doing your timelapses at night you will get away with just using sped up video

I work in a school and I've used the camera hightlighted in this video:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A5GEk83NJk[/ame]

for all our school productions / assemblies etc. Its quite expensive at about £500 - £600 but does as a minimum 1 second and 2 second timelapse. The video (above) is useful since it highlights the features of the camera (though wouldn't win any Baftas for its interest level!)

Its sensors manage the 3 light components separately so colour is outstanding - including indoors where I use it most - but even better outside where you would be likely to.

This review http://www.techradar.com/reviews/ca...hdc-sd900-928795/review/page:3#articleContent describes it as "superlative" video recording.

Hope that helps!

I work in a school and I've used the camera hightlighted in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A5GEk83NJk

for all our school productions / assemblies etc. Its quite expensive at about £500 - £600 but does as a minimum 1 second and 2 second timelapse. The video (above) is useful since it highlights the features of the camera (though wouldn't win any Baftas for its interest level!)

Its sensors manage the 3 light components separately so colour is outstanding - including indoors where I use it most - but even better outside where you would be likely to.

This review http://www.techradar.com/reviews/ca...hdc-sd900-928795/review/page:3#articleContent describes it as "superlative" video recording.

Hope that helps!

Cheers

'a sizeable product' How big are these things? Starting to think they might be too bulky

Cheers

'a sizeable product' How big are these things? Starting to think they might be too bulky

Manual says:

66 mm (W) x 72 mm (H) x 146 mm (D)

In truth it can fit inside a pocket for short periods of time (though a bit uncomfortable - certainly wouldn't want to be running with it!) I have another much smaller video camera (Sony) which feels tiny in comparison - so perhaps a "relative" statement.

The Sony has a much poorer picture

It doesn't feel bulky in the hand - and I throw it in my camera bags without noticing it - though I guess the usual addage that crops up on this board about trying it in your own hand is about right here.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back