Vegetable patch

*Boring thread klaxon*

Got a small patch in the back garden that I would like to set up as a vegetable patch for the kids. It's outdoor and will have no cover. What vegetable seeds are best to plant this time of year? Been doing a bit of reading online (next to none) but I find the subject very boring so would happily surrender the success of this over to the SMB and it's infinite wisdom...

*Boring thread klaxon*

Got a small patch in the back garden that I would like to set up as a vegetable patch for the kids. It's outdoor and will have no cover. What vegetable seeds are best to plant this time of year? Been doing a bit of reading online (next to none) but I find the subject very boring so would happily surrender the success of this over to the SMB and it's infinite wisdom...

Get some yoghurt pots and start growing some things inside for now
Mini-K has some sunflowers growing.

*Boring thread klaxon*

If it’s for the kids mate start Indoors now on a sunny window sill
lettuce
Pak Choi
Sun flowers.
after the last frost put the lettuce and pak Choi in the veggie patch.
Then start some pea pods indoors once the peas get to 4 inches plant them out with the sun flowers.
All easy to look after, quick growing and hardy. Google pea frame for the peas.
water daily and once every week or two in the summer put a tiny bit of washing up liquid in the watering can and water them with the soapy water (best/cheapest pest controller going)

Spuds, Onions, Carrots but you'll need some decent manure.
Cabbage, Brocolli & Turnips are also pretty hardy but I doubt your kids would enjoy eating them
Lettuce grows pretty aggressively but goes to seed after a couple of weeks
You might want to get some tomato plants as well and grow them in pots if you have a sunny area in your garden
Good luck

If you really want to plant now you can plant potatoes and onions.
These might be a bit boring for the kids, but if the plot is a first time thing , the potatoes will break the ground up and make it a lot easier to cultivate next time.
Not really true though marra.The ground will need to be in a decent state of preparation, and any clumps etc will be broken up in the "earthing-up" process.
But the ground needs to be slightly acidic, so turning over and adding well rotted horse manure will do the job right now, prior to planting the seed potatoes in March/April.

*Boring thread klaxon*

Get seed potatoes from any garden place...they come up as new potatoes in early June... kids will love watching them grow and digging them up
Get seed potatoes from any garden place...they come up as new potatoes in early June... kids will love watching them grow and digging them up
Need to get them now though and chit them...plant when frost has gone

Last edited:

Back