Vegan protein need advice

Donnie Darko

Goalkeeper
I have to go a week without meat for a cleanse im doing from tomorrow . I train 3 times a week and im on a cut at the moment. My main concern is what I'm going to substitute meat with for my dinner and my tea and also post gym snack. Has any body got ideas? Any suggestions are welcome I was going to go to Asda tomorrow and get what I need . My tea isn't too much of a concern as I can just eat vegan burgers etc but my dinner is the main concern as I'll be on the move and also post gym I have rye vita with chicken pieces so this meal is a concern aswell

I have to go a week without meat for a cleanse im doing from tomorrow . I train 3 times a week and im on a cut at the moment. My main concern is what I'm going to substitute meat with for my dinner and my tea and also post gym snack. Has any body got ideas? Any suggestions are welcome I was going to go to Asda tomorrow and get what I need . My tea isn't too much of a concern as I can just eat vegan burgers etc but my dinner is the main concern as I'll be on the move and also post gym I have rye vita with chicken pieces so this meal is a concern aswell
Most stuff I get is heavily processed fake meat stuff.
I'm not really sure what you're asking? For a meal you can eat cold ?
There are plenty of fake chicken/sliced meat stuff if you just want a sandwich/stuff on rye vita.
Nowadays you should be able to eat the same being vegan as a meat eaters, just swapping the meat product for some heavily processed vegan replacement.

Most stuff I get is heavily processed fake meat stuff.
I'm not really sure what you're asking? For a meal you can eat cold ?
There are plenty of fake chicken/sliced meat stuff if you just want a sandwich/stuff on rye vita.
Nowadays you should be able to eat the same being vegan as a meat eaters, just swapping the meat product for some heavily processed vegan replacement.
Cheers mate yeah something cold on the go I've been to Asda today and got some fake chicken to cook up later and some plant burgers tomorrow it's gonna be a real challenge to be honest my whole diet is based around chicken but I'm looking forward to it also

Cheers mate yeah something cold on the go I've been to Asda today and got some fake chicken to cook up later and some plant burgers tomorrow it's gonna be a real challenge to be honest my whole diet is based around chicken but I'm looking forward to it also
Really the only thing I have cold is rice/peas/peppers/tins of black eyed beans with a dressing of avacado and plant based milk and chilli all blended or pasta , and both I would add some fake meat product of which my favourite is a brand called oumph, or a packet of linda McCartney shredded duck is about 1.50 in tesco and has over 70g of protein in a pack.

You can get sliced seitan stuff to go in sandwiches from tesco too.

The linda McCartney range I use a lot- vegetarian burgers / pulled pork burgers Or chicken burgers.
Usually reduced to 1.50 in tesco for 2 burgers and all over 20g of protein a burger.

What type of cleanse? If you’re replacing chicken with processed food that’s no cleanse.
Vegan fast food isn’t great imo. You need to spend a bit of time on it. Bosh have great recipes and don’t use any processed shit at all.

Last edited:
Why do you need a cleanse of chicken?
It's not a cleanse of chicken it's a detox type thing I'm doing no alcohol either
Really the only thing I have cold is rice/peas/peppers/tins of black eyed beans with a dressing of avacado and plant based milk and chilli all blended or pasta , and both I would add some fake meat product of which my favourite is a brand called oumph, or a packet of linda McCartney shredded duck is about 1.50 in tesco and has over 70g of protein in a pack.

You can get sliced seitan stuff to go in sandwiches from tesco too.

The linda McCartney range I use a lot- vegetarian burgers / pulled pork burgers Or chicken burgers.
Usually reduced to 1.50 in tesco for 2 burgers and all over 20g of protein a burger.
I ended up buying something called it isn't chicken I had some last night in a pitta and it was really nice . I've already got rice and peppers and plant based milk I use oat milk no sugars anyway on a daily basis . This has definitely been most helpful cheers all

Last edited:
What type of cleanse? If you’re replacing chicken with processed food that’s no cleanse.
Vegan fast food isn’t great imo. You need to spend a bit of time on it. Bosh have great recipes and don’t use any processed shit at all.
This is my issue
I used to eat really well and I still do I suppose, but I eat far more processed shite now I'm vegan. At least the processed stuff is usually unsaturated fats and no trans fats, but imo my diet was far healthier when I was a meat eater.
Just couldn't eat animals at all now though.

might be a bit late to reply but protein is not really much of an issue. Plenty of decent advice above but to add to that. Tofu, tempah, and edamame, beans, legumes, plant based milk, and veg like green peas, broccoli, spinach, artichokes, and asparagus. and nuts obviously

Tofu is pretty tasteless but absorbs flavour really well - just really how you marinade it.

try this - kind of a sweet and sour tofu but indian based.
tablespoon grated garlic
tablespoon grated fresh ginger
couple of chopped chillis (seeds included)
teaspoon each of fennel seeds, cumin seeds, ground cumin, cornflour, nigella seeds (optional - gives it a nutty taste). 2 teaspoons of chilli flakes

2 tablespoons dark soy sauce, tablespoon of agarve syrup (or other fruit syrup), tablespoon of ketchup.
mix it all up with the dry ingredients in a bowl. then add about 200grams of firm tofu (I use naked tofu from the Toofoo company) chopped into two cm cubes and mix it well in the marinade. Pop it in the fridge for 30-45 mins.

fry tofu and all the marinade up with some mushrooms and shallots (or onion) for 5 to 7 minutes and serve on rice or noodles.

really quick - well aside from the 30 mins in the fridge - and really tasty, once you've got your head around the texture of tofu ;)

The least ingredient none tofu type stuff would be oomph chicken pieces, they only have three ingredients, cook it up and put it in a sandwich. Theres squeaky (might be bean cant remember the second name) that do really nice chicken chunk fridge pieces that you could stick in a sandwich as well.

Tofu your best bet though or legumes if you mix some rice and beans can have cold. Theres a bunch of plant based protein snack bars as well available (dont use them myself though).

I don't monitor protein but will avoid that convo here on protein requirements, I try not to eat much meat replacement but these days is easier and convenient rather than relying on Tofu or tempah or even creating own Seiten. But am trying to have a lot more vegetable curries and chillis etc and have a bought a one pot to try and make up batches of that to get away from it.

Banana blossom
Jackfruit

There's minimal protein in either banana blossom or jackfruit.

One thing to consider with vegan protein is you usually need to mix 2 types to get all of your amino acids, most natural ones aren't complete proteins (some of the processed ones will be).

Brown rice + some kind of beans are complete I believe. Quinoa is also a complete protein (i think).

might be a bit late to reply but protein is not really much of an issue. Plenty of decent advice above but to add to that. Tofu, tempah, and edamame, beans, legumes, plant based milk, and veg like green peas, broccoli, spinach, artichokes, and asparagus. and nuts obviously

Tofu is pretty tasteless but absorbs flavour really well - just really how you marinade it.

try this - kind of a sweet and sour tofu but indian based.
tablespoon grated garlic
tablespoon grated fresh ginger
couple of chopped chillis (seeds included)
teaspoon each of fennel seeds, cumin seeds, ground cumin, cornflour, nigella seeds (optional - gives it a nutty taste). 2 teaspoons of chilli flakes

2 tablespoons dark soy sauce, tablespoon of agarve syrup (or other fruit syrup), tablespoon of ketchup.
mix it all up with the dry ingredients in a bowl. then add about 200grams of firm tofu (I use naked tofu from the Toofoo company) chopped into two cm cubes and mix it well in the marinade. Pop it in the fridge for 30-45 mins.

fry tofu and all the marinade up with some mushrooms and shallots (or onion) for 5 to 7 minutes and serve on rice or noodles.

really quick - well aside from the 30 mins in the fridge - and really tasty, once you've got your head around the texture of tofu ;)
It's been a weird week to be honest trying to get a way with the texture of anything that pretends to be meat. The "this isn't chicken" has done a job In wholemeal pitta with spinach and a tiny bit extra low fat mayo . I also bought plant based chicken shawarma from Asda which honestly tasted lovely and the smell it gave off was immense but there's a lot of sat fats in it which I'm trying to avoid but it's only until this Friday then I'll be heading for a meat feast pizza or a burger once completed 😂
There's minimal protein in either banana blossom or jackfruit.

One thing to consider with vegan protein is you usually need to mix 2 types to get all of your amino acids, most natural ones aren't complete proteins (some of the processed ones will be).

Brown rice + some kind of beans are complete I believe. Quinoa is also a complete protein (i think).
Sunday night is my treat night normally papa johns I ordered a margarita with jackfruit pepperoni and it wasn't too clever like I had to force it in 😂
The least ingredient none tofu type stuff would be oomph chicken pieces, they only have three ingredients, cook it up and put it in a sandwich. Theres squeaky (might be bean cant remember the second name) that do really nice chicken chunk fridge pieces that you could stick in a sandwich as well.

Tofu your best bet though or legumes if you mix some rice and beans can have cold. Theres a bunch of plant based protein snack bars as well available (dont use them myself though).

I don't monitor protein but will avoid that convo here on protein requirements, I try not to eat much meat replacement but these days is easier and convenient rather than relying on Tofu or tempah or even creating own Seiten. But am trying to have a lot more vegetable curries and chillis etc and have a bought a one pot to try and make up batches of that to get away from it.
I've basically just been having all the plant based stuff all week
This is my issue
I used to eat really well and I still do I suppose, but I eat far more processed shite now I'm vegan. At least the processed stuff is usually unsaturated fats and no trans fats, but imo my diet was far healthier when I was a meat eater.
Just couldn't eat animals at all now though.
It's funny because I can't stand to eat chicken anymore that's been bought and cooked and took off the bone Sunday dinner style but I can still eat and enjoy chicken breasts ! Beefs my fave like but I only tend to eat it once a month or so but I reckon one day I'll prob end up vegetarian or vegan but not just yet

Last edited:
It's been a weird week to be honest trying to get a way with the texture of anything that pretends to be meat. The "this isn't chicken" has done a job In wholemeal pitta with spinach and a tiny bit extra low fat mayo . I also bought plant based chicken shawarma from Asda which honestly tasted lovely and the smell it gave off was immense but there's a lot of sat fats in it which I'm trying to avoid but it's only until this Friday then I'll be heading for a meat feast pizza or a burger once completed 😂

Sunday night is my treat night normally papa johns I ordered a margarita with jackfruit pepperoni and it wasn't too clever like I had to force it in 😂

I've basically just been having all the plant based stuff all week

It's funny because I can't stand to eat chicken anymore that's been bought and cooked and took off the bone Sunday dinner style but I can still eat and enjoy chicken breasts ! Beefs my fave like but I only tend to eat it once a month or so but I reckon one day I'll prob end up vegetarian or vegan but not just yet
Hopefully soon there will be products with the same macros and tastes as meat. And cheaper.
The best way to save the planet.
But we all can't do everything.
I love flying on planes. If we all just do a little bit and reduce carbon footprint a wee bit....

Hopefully soon there will be products with the same macros and tastes as meat. And cheaper.
I love flying on planes. If we all just do a little bit and reduce carbon footprint a wee bit....
😊You can't stop nature pal. Ffs.

Thats the way the Meat brewing or whatever they are naming it these days are going, is the future as I see it as well as people reducing their meat intake anyway in the west (developing countries will still be an issue). If they get the same taste and texture as reared meat but cheaper and without the factory farming, once people get over the concept cant see why majority would not go for it.

Im sure this will have already been posted but beans and nuts are your friend. cheap and tasty and packed full of good fats and protein. hardly any Co2 footprint as well if your that way inclined. Chick peas are ggod too.

Homemade bean burgers are tasty as are falafel, you can make some nice chutneys or salads to go with it so its doesnt have to be boring and bland

I'm on the last day of it now with mixed results but I've ended on a absolute belter of a high I got some vivera shawarma kebab plant based and it it honestly unreal! I know the fat content isn't great so it would be a one off but I would honestly consider buying this to make pittas in the future they have got the texture completely

Back