VAT to be cut for a year

as part of a stimulus package to kick start the economy.

Some additional products to be zero rated.

I was going to but a new PC today but I think I'll wait now - might save us a few quid.

Aye. People pay more attention to the number in the bottom corner of their payslip than to the price of what they're buying imo.
I find the VAT rate at 20% stifles business massively.It knocks loads of domestic work on the head /creates a cash economy (especially in sunderland )

Shoe-Rack is correct in slashing the vat,it’ll help things out massively by things being cheaper

I'm old enough to remember when it was 15% !! Then up to 17.5% , then up to 20%.
I remember when it was 8% on standard goods and 12.5% on luxury items.

I’d lie if I said I remember the 10% rate so the change in 74 must have been on the news at the time. I do remember going through Makro receipts looking at the different rate items.

I remember when it was 8% on standard goods and 12.5% on luxury items.

I’d lie if I said I remember the 10% rate so the change in 74 must have been on the news at the time. I do remember going through Makro receipts looking at the different rate items.

Yes, it was 8% at one time now that you mention it. Just goes to show how the public are happy to tolerate sneaky gradual tax increases.

Yes, it was 8% at one time now that you mention it. Just goes to show how the public are happy to tolerate sneaky gradual tax increases.

Wasn’t there a period where Income Tax was temporarily reduced to 10% before it was uplifted to 20%?

This gesture may provide immediate stimulus (which is a good thing) but may be a back door method of upping the rate afterwards to recoup tax.

Makes my job a f***ing nightmare. Have to reconfigure the system and remember after it changes back when dealing with historic stuff. I remember the vat changes back in 2008 the 2011

Back