VARguments

But VAR was supposed to put an end to all this debate

It's created more
Supposed to be for clear and obvious errors yet not 1 of the 54,000 people in the etihad stadium nor any of the players had a semblance of doubt about the goal. Some faceless arseholes hundreds of miles away decide the goal should be ruled out yet miss a penalty appeal for city which was clearly a penalty, was witnessed by a lot of the crowd clearly, would have had the officials wondering and the players appealing. It’s quite incredible really. It will destroy the game.

I'm advocating two sets of laws. It's ridiculous to award a penalty for a handball that is totally accidental. It is also ridiculous to allow a goal to be scored from the benefit of it hitting a players hand. I really don't see the problem.
We already have two sets of laws with the changes in respect of the ball hitting a match official. Depending on what happens directly after the contact determines what decision is made.

Supposed to be for clear and obvious errors yet not 1 of the 54,000 people in the etihad stadium nor any of the players had a semblance of doubt about the goal. Some faceless arseholes hundreds of miles away decide the goal should be ruled out yet miss a penalty appeal for city which was clearly a penalty, was witnessed by a lot of the crowd clearly, would have had the officials wondering and the players appealing. It’s quite incredible really. It will destroy the game.

Don't think you understand 'clear and obvious'. It refers to the fact that the ball on review had unequivocally and without question hit Laportes arm. It is clear and obvious on review. The phrase 'clear and obvious' is just another way of saying that there is no need for any interpretation. Its not about how easy it is to spot on real time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you can get rid of VAR unless you get rid of a lot of modern camera angles and camera technology showing a game. Without VAR it's post game arguments about decisions that were wrong after multiple angle analysis and slow motion replays in the media showing that the result would or could have been different. With VAR the arguments become about spirit and letter of the law arguments. Is a toe offside correct in the letter of the law? Yes. Should it be offside in real game time situation? No.

Don't think you understand 'clear and obvious'. It refers to the fact that the ball on review had unequivocally and without question hit Laportes arm. It is clear and obvious on review. The phrase 'clear and obvious' is just another way of saying that there is no need for any interpretation. Its not about how easy it is to spot on real time.
So only obvious when you review it in slow motion ? It’s crazy, no one would have even realised anything if the goal was just allowed to stand.

So only obvious when you review it in slow motion ? It’s crazy, no one would have even realised anything if the goal was just allowed to stand.

Think it through. If there is a rule that says if a ball hits an attackers arm in the lead up to a goal then how can you possibly get away with allowing the city goal but disallowing another incident of the ball hitting an attackers arm next week when you have video technology that is there to flag it up. The team that has a goal chalked off next week will just go into meltdown about consistency.

Think it through. If there is a rule that says if a ball hits an attackers arm in the lead up to a goal then how can you possibly get away with allowing the city goal but disallowing another incident of the ball hitting an attackers arm next week when you have video technology that is there to flag it up. The team that has a goal chalked off next week will just go into meltdown about consistency.
Will we see any kind of consistency to any extent at all ? The most clear error of the game was the failure to reward Man City a penalty ... knowing the identity of the people making these decisions would help clarify things too.

Until Wolves get wind of the ball hitting Laportes arm and demand to know why they got away with it but Boli didn't last week. This is what we wanted - consistency.

As for the Rodri penalty it should have been given but for areas of interpretation where there could be the possibility of debate then they won't challenge the referees on field decision. I don't think it's ideal but I can see why it is being conducted this way.

Until Wolves get wind of the ball hitting Laportes arm and demand to know why they got away with it but Boli didn't last week. This is what we wanted - consistency.

As for the Rodri penalty it should have been given but for areas of interpretation where there could be the possibility of debate then they won't challenge the referees on field decision. I don't think it's ideal but I can see why it is being conducted this way.

Again why wasn't VAR used over the Sterling penalty

If that wasn't a clear & obvious mistake I don't kna what wasn't

Again why wasn't VAR used over the Sterling penalty

If that wasn't a clear & obvious mistake I don't kna what wasn't

You mean in the CL last season? It should have been but the ref didn't refer it. We aren't using a referral system in the PL. I guarantee if that happened in the prem it would be over turned by the studio.

That is not in dispute, but it comes at too high a price.

That mate is entirely a matter of opinion and personal preference!
But VAR was supposed to put an end to all this debate

It's created more

There will always be debate mate, always
It's not the same and it's a poor comparison. In cricket you have 10 wickets each per game. In rugby you have an average of 20/30 points scored per game.

Football is the only sport in the world that has the type of explosion of raw emotion like a last minute winner, regularly.

And people will still celebrate it
Being able to fully celebrate. Anyone who goes to games will agree, sky boys will disagree. The best moments of my life have been the joy at seeing Sunderland score a goal, if that starts getting taken away from me my season ticket is getting cancelled along with Sky, BT and I will take up another interest.

Yet the same people criticised, twisted and abused refs, saying something has to be done about refs.

Yet when something is done guess what twist.

Last edited:
That mate is entirely a matter of opinion and personal preference!

There will always be debate mate, always

And people will still celebrate it

Yet the same people criticised, twisted and abused refs, saying something has to be done about refs.

Yet when something is done guess what twist.

How do you know it's the same people ? I certainly never asked for this. I twist about ticket prices and diving. And kick off time changes at the Last minute. Guess what, nowt has been done about those things. Its not in the interest of business. VAR isnt introduced because SOME people complained. Its here because it's making football more marketable, more talked about, more americanised etc...

If the powers that be changed things every time fans complained about something it would never end. There are thousands of fans complaining about VAR now, are they gonna listen to us and phase it out? Are they hell

How do you know it's the same people ? I certainly never asked for this. I twist about ticket prices and diving. And kick off time changes at the Last minute. Guess what, nowt has been done about those things. Its not in the interest of business. VAR isnt introduced because SOME people complained. Its here because it's making football more marketable, more talked about, more americanised etc...

If the powers that be changed things every time fans complained about something it would never end. There are thousands of fans complaining about VAR now, are they gonna listen to us and phase it out? Are they hell

I think across the board, from papers, tv, managers, players and fans, there was not enough realisation of the extreme diffcult job a ref has in the modern game and maybe if all the above accepted them mistakes as part and parcel of the game, instead of constant twisting VAR may not have happened soo quickly

But in the modern world rightly or wrongly it was always going to happen sooner or later.

Take your points but it was inevitable at some point, whether now or in the future.

I think it’s been introduced to stop errors, football is already extremely markertable as the current tv deal shows before VAR.

Although of course I take your point and agree the powers of be don’t give a fuck about the normal supporter like yourself.

I'm advocating two sets of laws. It's ridiculous to award a penalty for a handball that is totally accidental. It is also ridiculous to allow a goal to be scored from the benefit of it hitting a players hand. I really don't see the problem.

So what if the ball was crossed and was going towards a forward who has an open goal in front of him - the defender (in similar way to the city attacker yesterday) tries to head it and it glances off his arm and deflects it away from the forward so he can’t score.

No penalty would be given - Is that fair?

So what if the ball was crossed and was going towards a forward who has an open goal in front of him - the defender (in similar way to the city attacker yesterday) tries to head it and it glances off his arm and deflects it away from the forward so he can’t score.

No penalty would be given - Is that fair?

No, I don't think it's fair. I would also have a strict liability handball if it prevents a certain goal.

Was out with a city fan who was watching it on his phone.
Said VAR was shit, that was it, the games fucked.
I asked him what it was ruled out for....
Handball.

Was it hand ball?
Yes but before VAR it would have been given.

Ffs.

Its the goal celebration issue that's the killer. Refs were doing a decent job. It's the ridiculous scrutiny and the nonsense that the managers churned out week in week out that have brought us here.
People banging on about 'clear and obvious' would you have allowed the Brighton goal disallowed for offside?

Linesman & referee vs distorted camera angle (I don't know if the angle is corrected for VAR, I have my doubts!)

I think the linesman should flag.

Back