VAR

Duggins81

Full Back
Just seen that Wolves goal that was disallowed.

Christ on a bike it’s getting ridiculous. No way man that Boly could have done anything about that hitting his arm. Game has gone imo with this shit. Every goal is scrutinised for 5 mins. Takes all the pleasure out of scoring even if it is allowed!

Just seen that Wolves goal that was disallowed.

Christ on a bike it’s getting ridiculous. No way man that Boly could have done anything about that hitting his arm. Game has gone imo with this shit. Every goal is scrutinised for 5 mins. Takes all the pleasure out of scoring even if it is allowed!
The way they are applying the handball rule is perverse.
It seems if the shot was deflected for a corner the 'handball' would be ignored and a corner given.
Also if a defender had jumped instead of an attacker would a penalty have been awarded?

The way they are applying the handball rule is perverse.
It seems if the shot was deflected for a corner the 'handball' would be ignored and a corner given.
Also if a defender had jumped instead of an attacker would a penalty have been awarded?

Not really. It's just stating that a goal can't be scored if it's gone in off an attacker's hand.

Here's the explanation. Premier League statement reveals why Dendoncker's goal for Wolves was ruled out by VAR. Dendoncker gained control of the ball after it had come off another attacker's hand.
My point still stands.
The 'handball' by Boly was only an offence if a goal is subsequently scored.
The new law states "even if accidental, will be a free kick if the ball goes into the goal after touching an attacking player’s hand/arm"

The law doesn't define if the law applies when a goal was scored directly as the result of the 'handball' or if the goalscoring opportunity resulted from a handball.

Until this rule came into force the same handball law applied to all players on the pitch with the exception of a goalkeeper in his own penalty area.

Last edited:
My point still stands.
The new law states "even if accidental, will be a free kick if the ball goes into the goal after touching an attacking player’s hand/arm"

The law doesn't define if the law applies when a goal was scored directly as the result of the 'handball' or if the goalscoring opportunity resulted from a handball.

Until this rule came into force the same handball law applied to all players on the pitch with the exception of a goalkeeper in his own penalty area.

Surely every single goal scored in any match is a direct result of every single second of that match from kick off.
Its complicating what is, and was, a beautiful and simple game

My point still stands.

The intention is that a goal can't be scored as a result of a handball (accidental or not) by a member of the attacking side. My reading of what happened here is that a free kick should have been given even if Dendoncker hadn't scored, as the goal scoring opportunity was created by the ball coming off Boly's hand. It's to address the perception that a goal scored after coming off the hand/arm of an attacker is unfair.

The intention is that a goal can't be scored as a result of a handball (accidental or not) by a member of the attacking side. My reading of what happened here is that a free kick should have been given even if Dendoncker hadn't scored, as the goal scoring opportunity was created by the ball coming off Boly's hand. It's to address the perception that a goal scored after coming off the hand/arm of an attacker is unfair.

But what is a 'goal scoring opportunity '? How is it defined ? People can score from anywhere on the pitch, there endless examples of people scoring from their own half. Its f***ing bollocks the whole thing.

Complicating a game that is beautiful in its simplicity. For what ends I'm yet to work out. Something to do with marketability/tv audiences/creating drama/making money

But what is a 'goal scoring opportunity '? How is it defined ? People can score from anywhere on the pitch, there endless examples of people scoring from their own half. Its f***ing bollocks the whole thing.

Complicating a game that is beautiful in its simplicity. For what ends I'm yet to work out. Something to do with marketability/tv audiences/creating drama/making money
We could have a ball hitting the arm of a winger, not deliberate etc, the winger crosses the ball to another attacker who provides a pass to a third attacker who scores, would this goal stand or be disallowed?
What a clusterfuck.
The premier league statement says goals will be disallowed if goals are scored or created with the use of a hand or arm even it is accidental under the laws of the game.
The laws of the game do not state what the premier league claim.
They state 'the player gains control or possession of the ball', clearly Boly didn't do either.

Last edited:

What they mean here is that the handball creates the opportunity for a shot on goal. This one was unusual in that the ball didn't come off the arm of the scorer. If the ball had come off Dendoncker's arm, I don't think there'd have been the same fuss.
We could have a ball hitting the arm of a winger, not deliberate etc, the winger crosses the ball to another attacker who provides a pass to a third attacker who scores, would this goal stand or be disallowed?
What a clusterfuck.

The premier league statement says goals will be disallowed if goals are scored or created with the use of a hand or arm even it is accidental under the laws of the game.
The laws of the game do not state what the premier league claim.
They state 'the player gains control or possession of the ball', clearly Boly didn't do either.

Boly didn't, but Dendoncker did. That's the point. Wold your opinion be different of the ball had come off Dendoncker's arm, and not Boly's. If so, why? Dendoncker gained an advantage from an unintentional handball; that's why the law change is supposed fo deal with.
Whilst I despise VAR the Wolves goal was because of ridiculous law change. Correct decision but the law is a joke

So you'll be happy the next time a player scores against us when it either goes in off his arm, or he can only shoot because it's come off his or a teammate's arm?
Yeah and that's bollocks too!

Why?

Last edited:

Back