US Navy Destroyer Rammed By 30,000ton Cargo Ship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Someone is in the shit here like, it was miles out to sea so lots of room for avoiding collision. Those yank ships turn on a dime so to speak... only way i can see this happening is if she was not under control, or had a steering gear failure. No idea why they would even be close enough for that to be an issue...

Someone is in the shit here like, it was miles out to sea so lots of room for avoiding collision. Those yank ships turn on a dime so to speak... only way i can see this happening is if she was not under control, or had a steering gear failure. No idea why they would even be close enough for that to be an issue...

They did a full U-turn to end up on course for hitting it as well. Looks bizarre.

lucky she rode the bow and didnt turn over, i imagine the bulbous bow made a mess below like

Simple rules of the road. I'm not a deckie but even I know that if you follow the rules and the ship is fully operational - collisions should be impossible.

Yup im no deckie either (I tried hard at school) in normal situations that shouldnt happen. Yeah during a RAS etc but thats a totally dfferent situaion.

AEGIS destroyer with all the latest sonar and radar equipment on it, didn't see a 29,000 ton cargo ship approaching?

Sounds like someone has been asleep at the wheel.

AEGIS destroyer with all the latest sonar and radar equipment on it, didn't see a 29,000 ton cargo ship approaching?

Sounds like someone has been asleep at the wheel.

Surely there's alarms and big red lights start flashing if another ship comes within a certain distance of a destroyer?

Surely there's alarms and big red lights start flashing if another ship comes within a certain distance of a destroyer?

Yeah, those cargo ships aren't exactly "stealth" ships. Hard to miss one on your radar scope even with WW2 technology let alone the sort of fancy gear the yanks are likely to have on a modern warship.

In the shit is an understatement, its major poo time. Its not like the US vessel had just one watchkeeper on the bridge, there would have been several and even if the other ship pulled a daft turn they should have been able to avoid.

If it was terror-related then it would be all hell kicking off over there, but it's not. Clearly the fault of the US ship as it was hit square on and like said, destroyers are fast & nimble at around 3-5k tonnes, unlike the cargo ship at 30K, plus its load. As I've worked with americans in the military a lot, i know what they are like....... Bet they parked in front of it and ordered it to stop, not realising these things take a while to stop lol, but being yanks, they weren't moving. Just a theory, but I bet i'm not far wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back