Upstart Crow

cluffy

Striker
Never thought this would be any good, I think the title put me off weirdly enough. But I tooketh the plunge and it's the best thing Mitchell has done since Peep Show and the best thing Elton has done since Blackadder.
Plus you've got Harry Enfield and some weird pretendy Gervais character :lol:
Superb comedy imo.

Never thought this would be any good, I think the title put me off weirdly enough. But I tooketh the plunge and it's the best thing Mitchell has done since Peep Show and the best thing Elton has done since Blackadder.
Plus you've got Harry Enfield and some weird pretendy Gervais character :lol:
Superb comedy imo.
It's very good but it helps if you're familiar with most of Shakespeare's major plays (or at least the general gist of the story) so probably a bit limiting audience-wise. Plenty of generally funny stuff anyway though and better than most other comedies about at the moment.

It's very good but it helps if you're familiar with most of Shakespeare's major plays (or at least the general gist of the story) so probably a bit limiting audience-wise. Plenty of generally funny stuff anyway though and better than most other comedies about at the moment.

This.

Pretty much my opinion as well.

This is the issue I had, a lot of clearly 'in jokes' and a I skipped shakespeare class at school.

I enjoyed it. I've not watched all of it yet.
They're doing a live stage show version of it I believe. Or David Mitchell is anyway

The "in-jokes" relate to the the works of one of our nation's greatest writers and cultural icons.

"We are patriotic, but we stopped short of reading any of the books..."
Orh I know, it's too my detriment. I'm not criticizing shakespeare, I'm critizing myself.

Never too late. Once I got into reading Shakespeare, I was shocked at how many expressions in everyday use were first coined by Shakespeare.
I'm always dubious as to how this happens, surely he just wrote them down for the first time.

I mean how would it work if you did a play and no one knew what the fuck the word you were using meant.

I'm always dubious as to how this happens, surely he just wrote them down for the first time.

I mean how would it work if you did a play and no one knew what the fuck the word you were using meant.
Yes, it's not as though Shakespeare just invented a load of words out of nothing. He is just first known usage (or most famous) of many words/phrases that were likely already in circulation to some extent; a lot of Shakespeare's 'new words' were compounds, and playing around with prefixes etc. In several cases, he isn't even the earliest source of words or phrases commonly attributed to him.

Back