Upgrading my APS-C to 7D or 7D Mk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently the 7D Mk 2 was tested at the winter olympics and has some fantastic features and performance (although speculation).

As I'm likely to upgrade from my 550d to a better APS-C camera this year, I've been looking at the following options:

1. After the 7d mk 2 launches this year, grab a good quality used 7D when they drop in price and maybe a mk2 in 2015/2016.

2. Just wait until the end of this year and grab a brand new 7D Mk 2 and future proof.

How much do you think both options will cost?

Any virtue going for the 70d?

what do you shoot? I can't remember seeing much fast paced stuff/sports from you.

There are 6D's and 5d mk ii's going second hand which may benefit you more (depending on your glass)

what do you shoot? I can't remember seeing much fast paced stuff/sports from you.

There are 6D's and 5d mk ii's going second hand which may benefit you more (depending on your glass)

I did some football once, but that's far from my bread and butter. I'm mainly after better IQ and ISO performance. The wifi/gps would be handy.

I'm in the process of upgrading my main glass, which will be done before getting a new body. I'm hoping to stick to a crop sensor, so not sure about a 5d mk2

I did some football once, but that's far from my bread and butter. I'm mainly after better IQ and ISO performance. The wifi/gps would be handy.

I'm in the process of upgrading my main glass, which will be done before getting a new body. I'm hoping to stick to a crop sensor, so not sure about a 5d mk2
Well these would see the biggest jump if you went FF but if the majority if your lenses are EF-S it may be costly to replace/upgrade lenses.

I may be wrong but I think you''ll be underwhelmed on the improvements in IQ and ISO from a 550D to a 7D Impossible to comment on a 7D mk ii.

I've always thought of a 7D as a sports camera - good AF, reach, fps. If you're not using the camera to its strengths it seems like a square peg in a round hole to me.

Well these would see the biggest jump if you went FF but if the majority if your lenses are EF-S it may be costly to replace/upgrade lenses.

I may be wrong but I think you''ll be underwhelmed on the improvements in IQ and ISO from a 550D to a 7D Impossible to comment on a 7D mk ii.

I've always thought of a 7D as a sports camera - good AF, reach, fps. If you're not using the camera to its strengths it seems like a square peg in a round hole to me.

Well that's shit in my nest. What about the 70d for IQ and ISO?

The 7D II will probably be a different beast, but I own the 550D and the 7D. The 550D is a newer sensor and I would say has better IQ and better ISO performance than the 7D. So moving to the existing 7D would be a mistake for you.

The 7d is brilliant at focusing on moving targets and can shoot at machine gun speed which is where it really comes into its own.

70D might be a better option for now?

The 7D II will probably be a different beast, but I own the 550D and the 7D. The 550D is a newer sensor and I would say has better IQ and better ISO performance than the 7D. So moving to the existing 7D would be a mistake for you.

The 7d is brilliant at focusing on moving targets and can shoot at machine gun speed which is where it really comes into its own.

70D might be a better option for now?

Right ta. I think I'm going to wait and see what the 7D Mk2 brings to the table then. My priority in the time being will be upgrading my glass.

Before June I have to buy a quality 17-50/17-55 f2.8 for a job I have, so it will be after that yes.
I couldn't care less about the other kit EF-S lenses I have as they are shite.
i'd be tempted to hire the 17-55 2.8 for the job so you're not tied to a crop camera then go for a second hand 6D, saw one go on talk photography for £850 earlier, that'll be cheaper than a 7D mk ii when it comes out i bet and would seemingly suit your needs better.

i'd be tempted to hire the 17-55 2.8 for the job so you're not tied to a crop camera then go for a second hand 6D, saw one go on talk photography for £850 earlier, that'll be cheaper than a 7D mk ii when it comes out i bet and would seemingly suit your needs better.
Aye that might be a good option. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back