Union reps

• Thread starter Deleted member 40035
  • Start date
Ones at ours are alright for the most part. Would have lost a bonus and given a written warning if it wasn’t for one of them.

That said I stopped paying my subs after I was basically palmed off with an issue that most other members raised. Most of the better reps have retired and those replacing them just seem out for themselves.

I was our CWU rep for Royal Mail for a few months last year. That’s all I could hack, been in the job for 28 years so thought I’d give a bit back to try and help new starters especially.
Thankless task I ended up being sick as fuck at work everyday listening to the most mundane shit imaginable.

I totally believe in unions in spite of the fact that Unison was of zero use when I was made redundant.

Also, the technician I worked with who was our union rep was an absolute knacker. There was once a call for members to strike - which was voted against by the workers and he was gutted. Started banging his head on a cupboard and was in tears. Bizarre.

thankless job really, had good and bad ones whilst in the gambling, tends to be a lot of nest feathering though. Had to go in with unite when I worked in aerospace for a bit, would never sign up to that shower of shite ever again, f***ing disgusting, blokes piping up in meetings that it was wrong they were employing loads of subbies, cos it was losing them overtime, and I shit you not, the day thatcher died, one of the shoppies gans, ‘one thing about her, she never bowed down to they miners’. Utter cockwombles.

A good union rep is worth their weight in gold. Got to be part of a good union though.

I’m part of a class union with 120000 members but we were still blocked from striking at Christmas at the high court by three tory judges.
Due to ballot again soon, it’ll be interesting to see if we’re allowed this time.

I've met many union reps over the years and without exception they have been shi t at their jobs and only became reps so they didn't get sacked.

I'm sure there must be good ones, just got to be.

Shame I've never had the pleasure.

I managed a business in the NE employing over 500 people many years ago. If the union rep was seen as malleable they were left in place but if they were seen as someone who would stand up to the management they were always offered a job on the management side that meant they could no longer be the union rep and always accepted it.

Read into that what you will.

What was the alternative?
It caused mass unemployment across the north so it would have been sensible to have a major support package in place and investment was critically needed. Thatcher just told them to shut up and stop moaning as well as other disgusting things and that was the end of that.

£18 a month at our place. Not for me like, more than capable of fighting my own corner. That plus the fact they're f***ing useless.

It caused mass unemployment across the north so it would have been sensible to have a major support package in place and investment was critically needed. Thatcher just told them to shut up and stop moaning as well as other disgusting things and that was the end of that.
They invested in doxy and Brought Nissan to the northeast. And retrained pitmen. They also got £1000 for every year served meaning if you were 30 and done 12 year you got 12k. A lot of money in the 80s. The right to buy a council house which most lived in and got them for buttons.
So 30 year old with 6k in the bank after buying your council house and no rent to pay.
Retrained in call centre work or ready for Nissan (which was good money). All this while the country was struggling facing a recession.
Just because a lot of the pitman pissed their money up the wall (including some of my family) had nowt to do with politics.

They invested in doxy and Brought Nissan to the northeast. And retrained pitmen. They also got £1000 for every year served meaning if you were 30 and done 12 year you got 12k. A lot of money in the 80s. The right to buy a council house which most lived in and got them for buttons.
So 30 year old with 6k in the bank after buying your council house and no rent to pay.
Retrained in call centre work or ready for Nissan (which was good money). All this while the country was struggling facing a recession.
Just because a lot of the pitman pissed their money up the wall (including some of my family) had nowt to do with politics.
I wasn't around at the time so can only go from what I've been told about it. They are sure upset about something.

Back