UFC/MMA Thread - 2020

Not officially, it's just the way the UFC go about their business with McGregor makes me wonder whether or not the insinuation is there for Poirier to take a dive so to speak. Although as I say, I doubt that's been mentioned in so many words. It's just the feeling I get, lately Poirier has been well up for everything, tearing the arsehole out of opponents etc until Khabib. His demeanour going into this suggests to me he's beaten already and doesn't give a fuck, hell of a pay day nonetheless.

11/4 is a fair price. Poirer only wins if it goes into Main Event rounds - He's proven it against Hooker he can bang for a full 25 minutes whereas Conor has the reputation of gassing from the 3rd onwards.

But judging by the body language today he won't be lasting 25 seconds never mind 25 minutes.

Not officially, it's just the way the UFC go about their business with McGregor makes me wonder whether or not the insinuation is there for Poirier to take a dive so to speak. Although as I say, I doubt that's been mentioned in so many words. It's just the feeling I get, lately Poirier has been well up for everything, tearing the arsehole out of opponents etc until Khabib. His demeanour going into this suggests to me he's beaten already and doesn't give a fuck, hell of a pay day nonetheless.
Not officially haha, as if it would ever be official.

I don't think it is, and anything could happen, but there's only one person out of the two who believes they're winning and it's CM. It'll be interesting to see how it gets done...if CM wins via early knockout Khabib has to fight him or i think will it'll be justified saying he is ducking it after saying he will watch how Sat/Sunday goes.

I don't think Dustin has went there to lose. I just don't think he believes he can win. Conor being all friendly and on his best behaviour has probably threw him as well.

That's kind of what I was getting at earlier, it's not like Poirier to go into a fight that way, nothing like him in fact. Makes me wonder if that's being drilled into him by the UFC, not directly of course...

That's kind of what I was getting at earlier, it's not like Poirier to go into a fight that way, nothing like him in fact. Makes me wonder if that's being drilled into him by the UFC, not directly of course...
Dana's interviews have all been bigging up McGregor as usual as if he will get a title fight if he wins but Poirier won't.

Dana's interviews have all been bigging up McGregor as usual as if he will get a title fight if he wins but Poirier won't.
Yep, they definitely have a way of telling a fighter "look show up, get paid, but you know you're going down though right" without it being said in so many words. Conor's benefitted from it throughout his career IMHO due to the attraction of him as a star. Must properly fuck with your head to be in Poirier's position.

Yep, they definitely have a way of telling a fighter "look show up, get paid, but you know you're going down though right" without it being said in so many words. Conor's benefitted from it throughout his career IMHO due to the attraction of him as a star. Must properly fuck with your head to be in Poirier's position.
They're trying to do it with Leon Edwards as well with Chimaev.

They're trying to do it with Leon Edwards as well with Chimaev.
It must be rotten mate, to know the institution behind you are willing you to fail. Fighter's have enough to go through with what they put themselves through physically and mentally without that being added on top... If it's fans expectations then fair enough, but when it's your bosses....

It must be rotten mate, to know the institution behind you are willing you to fail. Fighter's have enough to go through with what they put themselves through physically and mentally without that being added on top... If it's fans expectations then fair enough, but when it's your bosses....
Aye it must be hard for the genuinely nice blokes like Poirier but divisive personalities are what the UFC likes because they sell well. Combine a divisive personality with it of fight ability and they're laughing business wise.

Aye it must be hard for the genuinely nice blokes like Poirier but divisive personalities are what the UFC likes because they sell well. Combine a divisive personality with it of fight ability and they're laughing business wise.

That's what it's all about at the end of the day but when it's so blatantly obvious it stinks.

Absolutely fuck all to do with the UFC or Dana. Or Conor even.

It’s down to Poirer how he does, He asked for the fight and got it, getting a fortune and if he loses he loses to a better man. Nothing else and nowt to do with Dana of the ufc.

I think @CheersMarra84 nailed it really, Poirier gets hit far too easily. When he said about trying to make it bloody then my reaction was he'd get beaten easily. Haven't seen press onferences etc yet.

Chiesa the other night was so impressive. Magny is no joke and he absolutely demolished him.
Spot on.
I'm hoping for another McGregor Diaz 2 fight. That proves he can go into the championship rounds, done it with a cardio machine aswell. Granted, Diaz is probably a little more durable than Porier but there is still a chance this could go the distance. Really hope Dustins head is clear. If he is beaten the way Cowboy was, then its a massive anti climax for me. That won't be taking anything away from Conor by the way haha.

What I've realised is Khabib has actually retired and has only said he might come back so McGregor doesn't get to fight for the belt on Saturday :lol:

Listening to the people around him, he's done.

Can't wait to see what happens in main and co main, going to interesting times at lightweight whatever the outcome

11/4 is a fair price. Poirer only wins if it goes into Main Event rounds - He's proven it against Hooker he can bang for a full 25 minutes whereas Conor has the reputation of gassing from the 3rd onwards.

But judging by the body language today he won't be lasting 25 seconds never mind 25 minutes.
I think Conor is in great shape...he has been training for a triathlon I believe. I honestly don't think he will gas of it goes long

What I've realised is Khabib has actually retired and has only said he might come back so McGregor doesn't get to fight for the belt on Saturday :lol:

Can't wait to see what happens in main and co main, going to interesting times at lightweight whatever the outcome
Dana probably in on it. Conor definitely fights again now, can't run off and box with the belt this time haha.

As Conor said at the press conference Khabib didn't say that he might come back, Dana said it. Regardless of that the tournament is the way to go. ;)

Back