U2 info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Jeff

Winger
U2 were on the 1982 Glastonbury poster and were due to play the festival.

They did not play and I cannot find anything online to explain why.

Do any U2 fans know why the band did not play in 1982.

It was announced and although they were rumoured to play in several UK music festivals, they only played Gateshead(July 31st) apparently.

Taken from another forum after a little googling:

Michael Eavis who runs and organizes Glastonbury discussed how they ended up on the poster in his book "Glastonbury 50: The Official Story of Glastonbury Festival"

"I'd been trying to get them [U2] to perform since I prematurely put them on the poster in 1982, when I was misled by the doorman at the Portobello Hotel who said he knew them really well and could book them, which, of course, turned out to be wishful thinking."

But we still don’t know why they didn’t play. Surely Eavis would have followed up that conversation to confirm booking and make arrangements with the bands management/security etc etc

But we still don’t know why they didn’t play. Surely Eavis would have followed up that conversation to confirm booking and make arrangements with the bands management/security etc etc

Maybe he booked all of the bands based on connections with hotel doormen?

Their manager at the time, Paul McGuinness seems to have been quoted as saying they weren't contacted. I don't think Glastonbury at that time was quite the multi-million quid mega business it became.

U2 were on the 1982 Glastonbury poster and were due to play the festival.

They did not play and I cannot find anything online to explain why.

Do any U2 fans know why the band did not play in 1982.
Bono lost his favourite mic so refused to perform.

To this day, he still hasn't found what he was looking for.

Possibly a case of Eavis hyping up his festival using any means fair or foul back in the day before it became a juggernaut?

Possibly a case of Eavis hyping up his festival using any means fair or foul back in the day before it became a juggernaut?
I’m beginning to think this could be the case.

I’m seeing a scenario where Eavis is negotiating with jay z and his agent Kev who works at Iceland!!!!

It’s mad !!!!

Ps - when Kev is not driving vans he also takes bookings for Muse and Tom Jones !!!!!

Probably worth asking somewhere other than a Sunderland forum if you aren’t just after information that’s readily available through Google.

They were also listed as support to Queen at Milton Keynes in summer of 82 but didn't, so maybe one of them was ill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back