Tyne Tunnel price increase

Big Toe

Midfield
Lifted from their email.

Class 2 increasing to £2.40 and Class 3 increasing to £4.80.

So I log onto the website to check what class is for each. It doesn’t say.

Do we assume a car is class 2 as that’s 20p higher than current.

Oh, and impeccable timing with the Tyne Bridge.

Wankers. I used it Wednesday tea time and forgot to top up my pass until this morning, was convinced midnight last night would’ve been the cut off and a fine waiting for me but it’s taken the money out I topped up with so hoping that means I’ve escaped.

Lifted from their email.

Class 2 increasing to £2.40 and Class 3 increasing to £4.80.

So I log onto the website to check what class is for each. It doesn’t say.

Do we assume a car is class 2 as that’s 20p higher than current.

Oh, and impeccable timing with the Tyne Bridge.
I think that's a 40p increase in 2 years, bearing on mind it's each way that's like getting a little pay cut for us that work through there

Wankers. I used it Wednesday tea time and forgot to top up my pass until this morning, was convinced midnight last night would’ve been the cut off and a fine waiting for me but it’s taken the money out I topped up with so hoping that means I’ve escaped.
Aye you'll have escaped a fine.

I was 10p short a few weeks ago after a trip through, didn't realise until 5 days later, topped up and a day after that it took the money out my account so I'm assuming all in the clear as it's been more than a fortnight now anyway.

Having said that, I did a trip in July I completely forgot to pay for and to date haven't received a fine.....however I do drive a leased work vehicle so no idea if the fine is sat in an envelope inside the head office of the lease company, or just wasn't ever sent in error. :lol:

Absolutely despise the automated emails you get as well whenever you've got less than £5 in your account 'urgent, account funds low' or 'urgent, account funds critically low' - F off man, I use the tunnel once every few months on average, I'll put money in my account as and when I use it thanks very much.

As mentioned above, upping the prices right now with the tyne tunnel works ongoing is a ****s trick. I'll be using the A1 from now on I think, out of principle more than anything else.

Last edited:
Isn't that around 5% per annnum

It's not exorbitant
It's actually a bit more than that I think as I was quoting the price you pay when you have an account. In fact when I started working through there it was £3.42 return trip, it's been £3.96 since may 2023, with the increase its going to be £4.32. So that's 90p per day for some people, knocking on £20 per month extra, for what?

I still don't get why people have to pay.
Its a road. Nobody pays for 99% of other bridges and tunnels, why is this one special?
Because of a very shady and murky PFI deal that was done to finance it, despite the fact there are various other road tunnels in the UK which weren't procured and built in this way and subsequently are toll free.

Because of a very shady and murky PFI deal that was done to finance it, despite the fact there are various other road tunnels in the UK which weren't procured and built in this way and subsequently are toll free.
They made £20m profit last year and somehow employ over 100 people.

Its a tunnel.
It's private property isn't it?
So were all roads before the local authority purchased the land to build a road on it.

The TT company is owned by the 5 nearby councils IIRC. Just seems like a tax to me.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind so much if the sodding queues didn't start at Testos every morning.

During rush hours they want to stop traffic joining at Wallsend and Jarrow.
Those two junctions cause all of the queues.

Back