Two types of Grey cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you're over thinking things tbh... I agree with the artwork that you might want to get that spot on, but by and large correcting w/b in post production is a doddle, and being able to remove one colour selectively from an image is something you wouldn't learn relying in a grey card for everything.

There's also plenty of situations when shooting things like weddings where you don't have time to constantly whip out a grey card and fire off a test shot.

I can imagine they would be used a lot in product shots too where faithful colour reproduction is important too, especially food shots.

yep but theres plenty of times that you don't have time or the inclination to use a card so you take the pic knowing the kelvin temp of a tungsten lamp. If you weren't using artificial light you simply use the dabber to zoom into an area that roughly looks neutral then search for a pixel with the correct measure of R, G and B's. Its like a built in WB card and you save fannying on while shooting.

Don't get me wrong, using a card works, I just find it to add a step that isn't really needed these days with digital camera's and software.

Again that's subjective. Fine for most things I agree, but not for when the colours have to be exact.

Last edited:

I can imagine they would be used a lot in product shots too where faithful colour reproduction is important too, especially food shots.

Again that's subjective. Fine for most things I agree, but not for when the colours have to be exact.
No its not. just like if you hold the dabber over your greycard in LR it'll show a balance of RGB, so it will once you find a neutral area of the pic. If the values aren't balanced then it isn't neutral so you look for another pixel. LR displays the balance as you use the dabber.

No its not. just like if you hold the dabber over your greycard in LR it'll show a balance of RGB, so it will once you find a neutral area of the pic. If the values aren't balanced then it isn't neutral so you look for another pixel. LR displays the balance as you use the dabber.

Let me get this right.
So you are manually looking for a pixel with the same R,G and B values and clicking it?
This surely could be automated and wouldn't be a manual process if that is the case?

Yeah i'm sure in some situations they are useful but 90% of the time not IMO

Let me get this right.
So you are manually looking for a pixel with the same R,G and B values and clicking it?
This surely could be automated and wouldn't be a manual process if that is the case?
yes. The only difference with you using the card is the area is bigger.

LR will automatically set your WB if you ask it to but occasionally may get it wrong (as all tech does sometimes) so you use the dabber to get it spot on.

yes. The only difference with you using the card is the area is bigger.

LR will automatically set your WB if you ask it to but occasionally may get it wrong (as all tech does sometimes) so you use the dabber to get it spot on.

I still don't see how this works, if you put the dabber on a pixel that is already equal RGB, it technically should not change the image's WB at all.

Anyway, I'm obviously not getting it.. maybe lack of sleep and not enough coffee.. haha :lol:

I still don't see how this works, if you put the dabber on a pixel that is already equal RGB, it technically should not change the image's WB at all.

Anyway, I'm obviously not getting it.. maybe lack of sleep and not enough coffee.. haha :lol:
ummmmm fuck, you're right mate. Fuck knows how LR does it then but it works.

Grey cards = gay cards :cool:

:lol: gerrin!

algorithms for setting white balance are crazy complex (both auto and the dabber in LR) it cannot really be quantified as simply as it has on here - not that it's important..

Have to say this discussion is doing nothing to get me interested in digital photography at all. :lol:

All colour balance (and exposure for that matter) is subjective anyway, there is no 'correct' answer to any of it. Bear that in mind and none of this actually matters.

This is possibly the dullest thread in the history of the Internet. It actually makes spug look interesting :)

It's not subjective at all... it can be creative but not subjective.

W/B should be right or an image will look odd... however you can be a little creative at times and make an image warmer or cooler for artistic purposes, much like adding a warming or cooling filter in PS, or gelling a flash.

Again though if you get it wrong it'll look shit. So no I don't agree it's subjective at all.

This is possibly the dullest thread in the history of the Internet. It actually makes spug look interesting :)

:lol:

It's not subjective at all... it can be creative but not subjective.

W/B should be right or an image will look odd... however you can be a little creative at times and make an image warmer or cooler for artistic purposes, much like adding a warming or cooling filter in PS, or gelling a flash.

Again though if you get it wrong it'll look shit. So no I don't agree it's subjective at all.

:lol:

We'll have to disagree then :lol:. Since we all view the final result with our subjective eyes (and may or may not be able to compare that subjectively with the scene itself) it is very much in the eye of the beholder. The lighting conditions of both the scene, and the viewing conditions of the final result (on a computer screen, on paper, projected...) and the light under which that is viewed, are all variable. As is our perception of each (my eyes haven't been calibrated for colour against yours or anyone elses, either). So how do you define a 'correct' or 'neutral' result in terms of colour balance? Even if you're not attempting to be creative with the balance, it still comes down to interpretation. Similarly, do you change a scene with artificial light, for instance, to make it look like daylight (and if so, what kind of daylight)? And does that make it correct? Arguably, it makes it incorrect.

Likewise with exposure, any one scene can have a multitude of possible exposures, depending on which part of the scene you are exposing for and how you want to portray it, subjectively.

Gonna get the missus to do a version of the dance of the seven veils tonight with grey cards of differing reflective ratings

dullest thread ever? pah

Have to say this discussion is doing nothing to get me interested in digital photography at all. :lol:

All colour balance (and exposure for that matter) is subjective anyway, there is no 'correct' answer to any of it. Bear that in mind and none of this actually matters.

Yes and no. Yes, there is no right or wrong when it comes to most photography that we all do on here.
But when you have to reproduce something exactly (like the art example) it can no longer be allowed to be subjective and there are mechanisms out there to account for this (or at least try to).

Taken to the extreme (and it can be) you'd compare a spectrum analysis of the original image to the output. I'm sure they so that for museum pieces etc.

Last edited:

I love TGS (in a purely photographic way of course!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back