Tweaking lbw rule.

Should happen. Especially in the days of DRS - it shouldn't matter where the ball pitches, or hits, as long as it's gonna hit those three wooden things.

If the batsman's leg wasn't in the way, he'd have been bowled - so he should be out, in my book.
Hmmm....Do we trust the technology down to the millimetre? Also, if the ball clips the stump do the bails fall off? Doesn't always happen

Hmmm....Do we trust the technology down to the millimetre? Also, if the ball clips the stump do the bails fall off? Doesn't always happen
I have no problem with retaining umpires call due to the 99% accuracy rating.

What I have always had a problem with is the ball planting straight into the base of middle stump but being given not out because it pitched a millimetre outside the line of the stumps!

I have no problem with retaining umpires call due to the 99% accuracy rating.

What I have always had a problem with is the ball planting straight into the base of middle stump but being given not out because it pitched a millimetre outside the line of the stumps!
Was the (outside) leg stump rule not to discourage negative bowling? Not sure about the 'impact outside off' rule. Granted I don't know the reasoning behind the rule, but why should it matter if the batsmen is struck outside the line? Happy to be educated/corrected here..........

Ridiculous idea, local games would be over in a matter of overs, if it isn't broke why fix it, the only change that overall needs changing is playing with the dukes ball at international right across the world. Do we also want shorter international and county games too as that is what you would get, 1 ball shining cloth per team is a far more sensible idea.
The only change I have ever thought that should be changed is to remove leg byes as I just don't think they are right but again the implications of this are that it would likely cause a lot of issues at local levels in terms of umpires calls and at international level more breaks in play.

Ridiculous idea, local games would be over in a matter of overs, if it isn't broke why fix it, the only change that overall needs changing is playing with the dukes ball at international right across the world. Do we also want shorter international and county games too as that is what you would get, 1 ball shining cloth per team is a far more sensible idea.
The only change I have ever thought that should be changed is to remove leg byes as I just don't think they are right but again the implications of this are that it would likely cause a lot of issues at local levels in terms of umpires calls and at international level more breaks in play.
But it is broken now switch hitting is legal. Very little chance of the change being adopted but the game has changed massively since the pitching outside leg stump rule was adopted. I certainly think that something needs to change to restore an even balance between bat and ball

I think its a terrible idea. Two day test matches will become much more normal. Shane Warne would have had 2000 test wickets with that system in place. Test cricket is f***ing tremendous IMO and I think this will make it a bit mickey mouse.
Couldn't agree more.
Was the (outside) leg stump rule not to discourage negative bowling? Not sure about the 'impact outside off' rule. Granted I don't know the reasoning behind the rule, but why should it matter if the batsmen is struck outside the line? Happy to be educated/corrected here..........
It's a lot harder to hit a ball spinning towards you out of the rough on the leg side.

Not if I was batting like.

I could be bowled from anywhere.

But it is broken now switch hitting is legal. Very little chance of the change being adopted but the game has changed massively since the pitching outside leg stump rule was adopted. I certainly think that something needs to change to restore an even balance between bat and ball
LBW Rules have been changed to counter switch hitting so cant see your argument on that one. Bar 20/20 how is the balance not even, you only have to see the World cup to show its balanced and how times have england scored 400+ in the last few years at test match level? and the county championship which is as bowler friendly game as it comes. I guarantee batsman would be lucky to hit a Century a season and local games would be a mockery. Genuinely not sure people are truely watching the game or play it to see that this is a crazy idea

Last edited:
The technology isn't 100% accurate, you can't just have a hard yes or no. Just look at VAR and the stupid decisions we've seen, and that is situations which have actually happened and not computer modeled on what was likely. There has to be some tolerance, but if that means moving umpires call a few millimetres then fine.

Changing the law to include balls that pitch outside leg stump would be the biggest fundamental change the game has seen in generations, the thought of it actually makes me vomit.

As someone who still prefers the old offside rule and think the current interpretation has ruined football I'm not confident.

Back