Turning your back on football?

FN-2187

Winger
Do you know anyone who has just said, sod this and walked away from football.

They are sick of the way the game has gone, the money, the pretty much no chance of winning anything for your team. So much so that they just say fuck it. They don't talk about it, post about it, just live their lives as if football doesn't exist.

I haven't. I do know a couple of people who don't have any interest in football and have always been that way.

I definitely don’t watch as much football as I did. I would have watched as much as I could have once upon a time. Marriage, kids and work commitments change that I guess but I only tend to watch a few games even when I have time.

I couldn’t turn my back on Sunderland though, I almost see it as two separate things.

In the 1990’s I was absolutely obsessed with football, my whole life revolved around it. Now apart from SAFC I really don’t care about it. I never check the premier league scores, apart from the mags, and barely have any idea what’s going on outside of League One. I never watch premier league games or match of the day anymore, I have totally lost interest.
I had to give up my season ticket a few years ago as I no longer have anyone to look after my disabled daughter and I have missed it a lot less than I thought I would - being absolutely shit since I stopped going probably played a big part mind.

They are sick of the way the game has gone, the money, the pretty much no chance of winning anything for your team. So much so that they just say fuck it. They don't talk about it, post about it, just live their lives as if football doesn't exist.

I haven't. I do know a couple of people who don't have any interest in football and have always been that way.

I got very, very close to it this pre-season.
Sick to death with seeing my Club dying, above all watching greedy bastards destroy a love and passion i have.
Just needs that spark though to reignite everything.

On one hand I though basically just f’it. Take it away, will save me money, plenty of other things to do and get less wound up about.
On the other though, once I knew we had a 50/50 chance of survival I went into real Supporter mode, got involved once again which I vowed I wouldn’t do again getting involved in driving out scum from your Club.

Roll the clock forward and hence my post Friday night.
It’s nothing to do what Newcastle do up the road but all about your own club.
If you got to anywhere near where we were, 3 days from losing it I promise and guarantee you would see it differently and hope you never have to even consider it.

Yesterday when the second went in an old git was over the barrier celebrating like he was a 16 year old juvenile delinquent. My 18 year old Lad crushed by two adult strangers, carnage ensued and moments like this when you stop and think why it’s difficult to give it up.

As someone posted before the lows make the highs even greater. History is cast in stone and simply cannot be wiped clean.

Supporters make football clubs, nothing else.
It’s a rollercoaster, buckle up and enjoy the ride I say.

I dont watch Internationals , prem league , MOTD and stopped managing about 7 year or so back. Only watch us and quest.
This is pretty much me. I’ll follow Sunderland at any level, u23s, youths, women. I’ve got little to no interest in England, apart from when the tournaments kick in, the only way I’ll watch another match is if it affects Sunderland, or maybe to support whoever is playing against Newcastle. If the Premier League is on in my house it’s usually background noise & I’ll be doing something else.

An old boss of mine fucked off Newcastle & got Blyth season ticket years ago. He loves it.

There are other reasons for losing interest in Football. As people get older they come across new experiences and passtimes that grow in them, to the extent that football drifts into the background.

I've given up my SC for various reasons, and will go to home matches that suit me. Doubt i'll ever lose my affiliation with SAFC.

But i'm already drifting away from (non SAFC) games. I've very little interest in anything not connected to me or SAFC. Eg, Prem, Championship and England.

I've a little interest in L 1 because of our rivals for promotion.

If anything the worse club football gets, the more I like internationals. But I'd never stop supporting Sunderland or England, and tbh I doubt I'd ever completely stop watching other football either
I just don’t feel any connection with England. Saying that, I do like the current set of players & how they represent themselves. The feeling around the Euros compared to other tournaments were worlds apart.

It’d have been a bit poo if Leicester fans had thought the same when they were in league one.

@Burlesque
@Squirrel

In the 1990’s I was absolutely obsessed with football, my whole life revolved around it. Now apart from SAFC I really don’t care about it. I never check the premier league scores, apart from the mags, and barely have any idea what’s going on outside of League One. I never watch premier league games or match of the day anymore, I have totally lost interest.
I had to give up my season ticket a few years ago as I no longer have anyone to look after my disabled daughter and I have missed it a lot less than I thought I would - being absolutely shit since I stopped going probably played a big part mind.
I’m similar to you. Obsessed in the 90s going home and away then less as the years go on. Haven’t had any sports channels for about 6-7 years now and barely watch any on TV. Still enjoy going to the match though.

By the way thanks for bringing back childhood nightmares with your avatar you absolute bastard!!

I watch loads since the last few years since I worked out how to see the dodgy streams etc.
One thing about that is I never come into contact with Sky, which seems to wind a lot of people up.

Tbh I started tuning my back on football a few years ago. I went from having a season ticket and going to most away games as well for years and years, to just having the season ticket and not bothering with aways to even packing my season ticket on altogether just before COVID. I don't enjoy football amd rarely even watch it on TV.

I ended up buying tickets for the Bolton and Cheltenham games but it's not the same as it used to be. Sunderland and football in general.

Back