Turning 50

Had me 50th 2 weeks ago and people ask me if I feel old. Personally don't feel any different than I did at 30 apart from my gym stats being not being the same level. How did you lot feel when you turned 50. Only asking as some knacker is worried about feeling old at 30
Remember all the angst about hitting 30…40 and then 50

Never remotely got wound up about getting older. Completely pointless

Turned 50 last year, still happy with the shape I’m in, play cricket, golf, still lift the same weights I did 10 years ago. The aches and pains and recovery times do get worse though.

Worst part is how much harder it is shift timber, I put on weight just looking at a pint. Losing my hair and going grey is a pain too.

Always try to keep positive about the aging process though, getting old is an opportunity that’s denied to so many.

Last edited:
Had me 50th 2 weeks ago and people ask me if I feel old. Personally don't feel any different than I did at 30 apart from my gym stats being not being the same level. How did you lot feel when you turned 50. Only asking as some knacker is worried about feeling old at 30
Cant remember my 50th, or 60th for that matter.

I'm 74 on St George's day. Will I feel any different. No. Its just another day.

I will however just feel a little bit more less inclined to interact with people, I prefer animals. They can be trusted more than people.

Turned 50 last year, still happy with the shape I’m in, play cricket, golf, still lift the same weights I did 10 years ago. The aches and pains and recovery times do get worse though.

Worst part is how much harder it is shift timber, I put on weight just looking at a pint. Losing my hair and going grey is a pain too.

Always try to keep positive about the aging process though, getting old is an opportunity that’s denied to so many.
Similar to myself 53 now. Do a physical job which keeps me active everyday. Try to do a couple of workouts a week at home. Resistance bands, dumbells and a 3-5km treadmill run. Though don't fret if it doesn't pan out that way. Play golf on a weekend but have to keep an eye on what I eat or I balloon up. I try to strike a balance between 'life's too short' and 'shortening my life'. Love chocolate and I have a 12year old daughter who loves sweet treats as well, so when she's having ice creams and cakes and such I'd rather join her and have the memories of these times even if it means I carry a few pounds more than I should.

Putting beef on is very easy after 50. And injuries and lack of flexibility become an issue.

Losing me Dad was the biggest problem for me. Appreciate that could have happened at any age, but I became very aware of my own mortality.

The 5 years since turning 50 have gone too quickly. I need to find a way to slow things down.
Pretty much this. approaching 58. Don't feel any different from 20/30/40/50 (don't tell me knees, me eyes, me hair, me bulging gut)

Putting beef on is very easy after 50. And injuries and lack of flexibility become an issue.

Losing me Dad was the biggest problem for me. Appreciate that could have happened at any age, but I became very aware of my own mortality.

The 5 years since turning 50 have gone too quickly. I need to find a way to slow things down.
Totally agree on injuries/flexibility etc sometimes stiff as a board getting up in the morning hobbling all over for a minute or two while getting to the bathroom etc.
Things like sciatica starting to be a yearly occurrences.

Great post, especially the last paragraph.

Back