Triathlon virgin for about one more month...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, i made it...and as it turns out I significantly under shot my chances on the bike and run! Pretty much nailed my time on the swim though, but only because it was shorter than I originally thought. Here was my breakdown:

.4 mile swim: 19:10
15 mile bike: 48:25
5k run: 25:34

Trans 1 : 3:12
Trans 2 : 1:53

Total: 1:39:14

I'm VERY happy with the time and definitely will do another. The people were great before and after and I was surprised actually how supportive everyone is...I figured being a noob people would be annoyed but it was just the opposite.

As far as what training paid off - cardio and fitness for the bike and run were no problem - but I definitely should have spent more time prepping for the swim if I were to do it over again. If any one were to ask me about what to do for your first one it would be to double down over what you think you need on your swim prep. Granted, it was my first open water swim in probably a decade and I did it without a wetsuit, but I was not ready to really be competitive in the swim. I got passed over by just about everyone in my group and got caught by the front runners in the wave behind me. I'm thinking I'll probably need lessons to really get a true technique going rather than the schizophrenic method I used today. With winter coming...that's my plan!

Anyway, to anyone thinking about it...I'd say go for it! It's a lot more fun than you'd think and it's quite a feeling of accomplishment when you cross that finish line. Plus, it's damn cool to call myself a triathlete now! ;)

Cheers all!

Well done! I've been told the key to swimming is technique and practice. I plan to hammer in some swimming sessions over the winter. Got the Great North Run out of the way and I have the Kielder Marathon in 3 weeks, then onto swimming. Download "swim smooth" to get some hints and tips on technique and get some coaching. I've also been told that 1 session a week, you'll maintain your level - 2 or 3 sessions a week are needed if you want to see improvement.
The outlaw Iron Man entries are open over here now and I'm toying with the idea of signing up :eek:
Once again, well done.

. I've got the Busselton Ironman on the 9th December, been doing a lot of training for that. It's my first one so a bit apprehensive. The other thing I would deffo say is get a training partner. For me its not too bad on the swim and run side of things but for the long bike rides it relieves the boredom if youre with someone else. Oh aye, Torq gels are the best thing since the last best thing!!

Well done mate!! Next stop is this. You know you want to!!
http://www.race360.com/marathon/races/detail.asp?eventid=12642

If you need any advice, I'm more than happy to help out, although all I can tell you is what works for me.

Cheers Krankie. Was actually talking to someone that did the Pigman 1/2 Ironman after the race. He was doing the Olympic yesterday as a "nice way to finish the year" - his words, certainly not mine!

The Pigman actually started an Olympic this year (1.5K Swim, 40K Bike and a 10K Run) so I think that may be my goal for next season. Not sure I'm quite ready to jump up with the big boys and do anything with the word Ironman in it just yet! I really need to sort out my swim first before I think I can proceed. The official results got posted today and I was 6th from last after the swim! I caught a lot of people during the bike and run...but that's a big hole I put myself in out of the gate.

Any recommendations besides lessons to improve my swimming? It's not a cardio thing...I can go and go...I'm just REALLY slow (obviously).

Well done! I've been told the key to swimming is technique and practice. I plan to hammer in some swimming sessions over the winter. Got the Great North Run out of the way and I have the Kielder Marathon in 3 weeks, then onto swimming. Download "swim smooth" to get some hints and tips on technique and get some coaching. I've also been told that 1 session a week, you'll maintain your level - 2 or 3 sessions a week are needed if you want to see improvement.
The outlaw Iron Man entries are open over here now and I'm toying with the idea of signing up :eek:
Once again, well done.

Cheers Carrville...good luck training and good luck with your marathon! I've never done one but may put it on the list. Although at 37 I better decide sooner rather than later!

Cheers Carrville...good luck training and good luck with your marathon! I've never done one but may put it on the list. Although at 37 I better decide sooner rather than later!

Did my first Marathon at 40 - Kielder last year 5 months after breaking 10 ribs in a cycle accident. It was supposed to be a one off but I wanted to see if I could improve on my time of 4hrs 28mins. I ran Sunderland MotN in May in 3hrs 23mins and that gave me the incentive to do a sub 90min Great North Run yesterday. I'm not planning to do anything special at Kielder, just go out and enjoy it.
You're never to late to start, you just need to be dedicated and put the work in.

well done OP, nice work. Does anyone know of a list of triathlon clubs in the north east? Really fancy taking this up now after doing the GNR. Got a new hybrid bike too so looking to use that. Not done any proper swimming in years though...

http://www.britishtriathlon.org/clubs/index.php?club_name=&region=1
I'm a member of Durham Tri Club. A friendly enough bunch who usually meet for a run on a Wedensday evening, a coached swimming session on a Sat evening and a club bike ride on a Sunday morning.
There are all ability levels and competitions range from sprint distance up to Ironman. Social nights as well and other activities such as spinning sessions, bike time trials bi-athlon and aquathlons.
Cost £10 a year membership and £3 for each coached swim session.
Plenty of other good clubs around like NE Tri and Sun City.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back