Trevaskis off to Leicestershire

Hope it turns out to be a good move for him and them! I can see the logic. If he can’t get into the Durham red ball side in Div 2, what are his chances in Div 1? His bowling stats for FC aren’t wonderful.

You can pick holes in Trevaskis' bowling, but in my opinion there is no one in a Durham shirt more committed in the field. We've seen him time and again attack the ball and take the catch when many others would let it bounce to save the four. I hope it works out for him at Leicester.
Welcome to the forum

Durham fan i assume ? Do you go to games ?

Disappointed to see Trevaskis leave. Always thought he could develop into a very good cricketer. Wonder if he was pushed out or did he seek pastures new?

Durham is really going to struggle now in the T20 and other forms without a spinner like Trev. *puts tin hat on as the rabid masses froth to tell me T20 isn't proper cricket*

We’ve replaced him with two spin options.
What it has meant above imo, is that bowlers have really enhanced and developed their skills to a great extent, more slower balls, slower ball bouncers etc etc, as have batsmen now been able to score 360 degrees and fielding has improved ten fold due to white ball cricket to some jaw dropping levels at times.

In fact the all round skills developed in white ball cricket have in fact imo enhanced longer form cricket.

In years gone by would have been unthinkable for such a quality batsman as Root to play reverse scoop or batsman playing reverse sweeps, or a batsmen having the confidence to hit the first ball of a Ashes series for 4.

In fact I genuinely think, cricket is more
‘Proper’ now than it has ever been.

I think that because skills developed both, batting, bowling,fielding and athleticism of the players is light years ahead of when I started watching cricket.

And undoubtedly imo white ball cricket and skills needed in that format have enhanced the game of cricket as a whole.

The only danger which is a concern for all, is that it overtakes test cricket which none of us want

Most of that is down, very simply, to ‘bigger bats’ and more athleticism in the field.
I'm sad to see him go. Still a young lad, I think he offers a bit of everything in all formats. Jury is out of me as to whether Parkinson is all round a better cricketer, but I guess time will tell on that one.

I think ultimately his problem is that he hasn’t developed into a genuinely threatening red ball bowler. Great man to have in the side in white ball cricket, but I think Campbell wants to have a genuine wicket taking threat in his side in the Championship.
-
In many ways he’s become a ‘victim’ of sorts of Durham’s strength in producing three dimensional cricketers.

Last edited:
We’ve replaced him with two spin options.

Most of that is down, very simply, to ‘bigger bats’ and more athleticism in the field.

I think ultimately his problem is that he hasn’t developed into a genuinely threatening red ball bowler. Great man to have in the side in white ball cricket, but I think Campbell wants to have a genuine wicket taking threat in his side in the Championship.
-
In many ways he’s become a ‘victim’ of sorts of Durham’s strength in producing three dimensional cricketers.
I think there is absolutely no doubt especially since the start of T20 that bowlers have developed more skills and batsman have looked to score in more shall we say less traditional areas, they have evolved and become more skillful cricketers as a whole and imo the game is better for it.

The bigger bats and athleticism has agreeably played a part, but there has certainly been hard work and detailed coaching in white ball cricket to develop more skills, which should be respected and recognized imo.

Pity really, because I've always liked Trev as a player. With the new signings Trev was always going to end up being a 2nd XI player with perhaps just the odd first team game every season if there was an injury. Clearly he wanted more than that and who can blame him. I wish him well. If he follows Ben Raine's career path, he'll do all right and so might we in a few years time

I think there is absolutely no doubt especially since the start of T20 that bowlers have developed more skills and batsman have looked to score in more shall we say less traditional areas, they have evolved and become more skillful cricketers as a whole and imo the game is better for it.

The bigger bats and athleticism has agreeably played a part, but there has certainly been hard work and detailed coaching in white ball cricket to develop more skills, which should be respected and recognized imo.

Very long winded way of saying you agree :rolleyes:

What has happened, without doubt, is that spinners have come more to the fore and especially leg spinners who were an endangered species previously.
But the cricket episodes I always liked most were fast/medium bowlers steaming in, batsmen nervous while behind the wicket was a full display of slip catchers.
Nothing better.
Broad against the aussies at Nottingham a few years ago. Botham at Headingly, Old Trafford and Edgbaston in 81 as just a few examples.
Dont want to offend but i find T20 is too easy on batsmen, although I can see the argument about skills improving etc.

What has happened, without doubt, is that spinners have come more to the fore and especially leg spinners who were an endangered species previously.
But the cricket episodes I always liked most were fast/medium bowlers steaming in, batsmen nervous while behind the wicket was a full display of slip catchers.
Nothing better.
Broad against the aussies at Nottingham a few years ago. Botham at Headingly, Old Trafford and Edgbaston in 81 as just a few examples.
Dont want to offend but i find T20 is too easy on batsmen, although I can see the argument about skills improving etc.
Yeah it’s a balance mate, although T20 is agreeably more batsman friendly it could be argued not as batsman friendly as some of the wickets that were in place for many a year in the sub/continent in the longer format where some massive scores and non result cricket happened quite frequently.

There is still some absolutely brilliant bowlers in the short format your Burmah’s and Rashid Khan’s etc

And you tend to find a lot of the winners of these T20 cricket competitions are the team with the best bowling attack, Somerset defended two pretty low scores at Blast finals day with Henry and Overton bowling superbly as they did all competition and some of the bowlers i.e Curran in the IPL go for a lot of money as well.

I do agree it’s more favoured to batsman but still some great bowlers out there that heavily effect results.

I certainly agree with your points about fast bowlers steaming in been a briiliant watch, Donald to Atherton, Flintoff to Ponting, Mitchell Johnson in full flow and that great West Indian side spring to mind. So totally see your point

Last edited:
You can pick holes in Trevaskis' bowling, but in my opinion there is no one in a Durham shirt more committed in the field. We've seen him time and again attack the ball and take the catch when many others would let it bounce to save the four. I hope it works out for him at Leicester.
Every performance you could tell he was trying and his head was always in it like. Parnell was the polar opposite

What it has meant above imo, is that bowlers have really enhanced and developed their skills to a great extent, more slower balls, slower ball bouncers etc etc, as have batsmen now been able to score 360 degrees and fielding has improved ten fold due to white ball cricket to some jaw dropping levels at times.

In fact the all round skills developed in white ball cricket have in fact imo enhanced longer form cricket.

In years gone by would have been unthinkable for such a quality batsman as Root to play reverse scoop or batsman playing reverse sweeps, or a batsmen having the confidence to hit the first ball of a Ashes series for 4.

In fact I genuinely think, cricket is more
‘Proper’ now than it has ever been.

I think that because skills developed both, batting, bowling,fielding and athleticism of the players is light years ahead of when I started watching cricket.

And undoubtedly imo white ball cricket and skills needed in that format have enhanced the game of cricket as a whole.

The only danger which is a concern for all, is that it overtakes test cricket which none of us want
Not having this at all sorry.
Nothing better.
I know i’m like a broken record but because the emphasis in the modern game is on batting / slogging, the standard of bowlers is just massively on the wain.

Rather than bowling quick, swinging the ball, hitting the seam and being aggressive, most are focussing on being 3d cricketers and learning the slower ball and how you bowl in the shorter format.

It’s a reflection on the throwaway live for the moment society we have.

Last edited:
Not having this at all sorry.

I know i’m like a broken record but because the emphasis in the modern game is on batting / slogging, the standard of bowlers is just massively on the wain.

Rather than bowling quick, swinging the ball, hitting the seam and being aggressive, most are focussing on being 3d cricketers and learning the slower ball and how you bowl in the shorter format.

It’s a reflection on the throwaway live for the moment society we have.
Yet in the modern game with the enhanced skills developed we are world champions in both white ball competitions.

And our test side is as watchable and entertaining as it has been ever been, with their record in the last 18 months with regards to winning games outstanding.

Can’t every remember taking everything into account England national teams been soo good and soo successful, not even close in my lifetime.

As for the bowling when all fit ( granted that never seems to be the case) we have a superb depth of fast bowling talent so just don’t see your point
What learning enhanced skills in white ball has meant is bowlers have now have more all round skills, can still bowl that aggression line and pace you alluding too, but can also adapt and bowl differently when required
And our national teams are reaping the benefits

Last edited:
Yet in the modern game with the enhanced skills developed we are world champions in both white ball competitions.

And our test side is as watchable and entertaining as it has been ever been, with their record in the last 18 months with regards to winning games outstanding.

Can’t every remember taking everything into account England national teams been soo good and soo successful, not even close in my lifetime.

As for the bowling when all fit ( granted that never seems to be the case) we have a superb depth of fast bowling talent so just don’t see your point
What learning enhanced skills in white ball has meant is bowlers have now have more all round skills, can still bowl that aggression line and pace you alluding too, but can also adapt and bowl differently when required
And our national teams are reaping the benefits
Par scores in both 50 over and 20 over games have increased dramatically. How do you equate that with your claim that bowling skills have been enhanced?

Par scores in both 50 over and 20 over games have increased dramatically. How do you equate that with your claim that bowling skills have been enhanced?
I think that is more a change of mindset tbh, remember waking up early 1996 if I remember rightly World Cup quarter final England v Sri Lanka.

We had batted first scraped our way to 230 odd which was considered a good score those days.

Sri Lanka came out to bat and blow us away in the power play with a whole new outlook of how to play one day 50 over cricket in what I consider a watershed moment in cricket for the better,it was a great way to approach the chase and changed 50 over cricket.

From that moment on teams totally changed their approach and outlook.

Under Morgan and Bayliss England took that again to a whole new level with their positive approach same players couple of years earlier facing the same bowlers totally changed their approach.

It seems unthinkable nowadays that although class test batsman like Atherton and Cook were that they actually used to open the batting in 50 over cricket.

You would not dream of opening with a slow scoring opener in 50 over cricket as you did back then.

The whole thought process has changed for the better for the game and the watching public imo.

Some of the 60 over games back in the old Gillette and Natwest cup the whole ethos and thinking was different and the way batsmen and team’s approached the game,and that the reason imo why more higher scores in that format than any decrease in bowling standards.

That and the fact teams bat further down in depth than they ever have before giving them the confidence to go hard earlier

Surely it can be disputed bowlers have more skills and variety than back then?

20 overs is a bit different I agree with some posters too much weighted in batsman favour the bats nowadays even thick edges and balls not hitting the middle going for 6, so even when spinners deceive batsman in the flight sometimes still going for 6, which unfair on the bowlers.

But even taking that point, the bowling variety and enhanced skills they have both learnt over the years is light years ahead of in the 90s for example not sure how that can be disputed.

For example in test cricket very very difficult for opening batsman as bowling standards execellent.

Batting, bowling and especially fielding in 50 and 20 over cricket has improved as it as evolved through the years, batsman can now score in more areas than ever before, bowlers have more variation than ever before and fielding is to an incredible level, not really sure that can be disputed either.

Sorry for the long answer, but bowlers have more skills and variety than ever before imo
But batsman have got even better and more relevant the mindset and confidence of batsman to go hard has totally changed as years have gone on
Which is the reason for the higher scores imo

Last edited:

Back