Travel for England abroad

Never been abroad for an England test so will be planning on doing so in the next few year. Just wondering from those that have been, is it better sorting your own travel or through an agency. I know it’s expensive but having a look at the barmy army’s previous prices they still seem very highly priced. Thanks in advance :)

Went to barbados in 2019 and sorted all our own travel in a big group. Stayed at the same hotel that the barmy army were in and flights and digs come in at almost 1000 pound cheaper. Definatley worth looking at doing your own.

I did the West Indies t20s in January on my own and it was about 1/3 of the price of packages on offer. I didn't slum it either. Nice apartment with a big pool only accessible to about 4 or 5 people.

I'll be doing South Africa next year when they confirm the dates. Will be sorting that on my own too

I did the West Indies t20s in January on my own and it was about 1/3 of the price of packages on offer. I didn't slum it either. Nice apartment with a big pool only accessible to about 4 or 5 people.

I'll be doing South Africa next year when they confirm the dates. Will be sorting that on my own too
I’d like to think windies/South Africa would be cheap enough to do. I’d love to do oz/NZ however it just seems so expensive. Maybe try and convince the BBC to fly me out to film wanted down under?

Never been abroad for an England test so will be planning on doing so in the next few year. Just wondering from those that have been, is it better sorting your own travel or through an agency. I know it’s expensive but having a look at the barmy army’s previous prices they still seem very highly priced. Thanks in advance :)
As above, sort travel and digs yourself. Way cheaper than using the cricket agencies. For example three of us went to Cape Town in 2020 and the cost for flights and digs for five nights was approx £800pp.

It will be more expensive this year as flights are around the £900+ mark with KLM at the moment.

I’d like to think windies/South Africa would be cheap enough to do. I’d love to do oz/NZ however it just seems so expensive. Maybe try and convince the BBC to fly me out to film wanted down under?
My plan is South Africa next year then nout in 2024 and an extra year saving to do two tests in the 2025/26 Ashes series.
As above, sort travel and digs yourself. Way cheaper than using the cricket agencies. For example three of us went to Cape Town in 2020 and the cost for flights and digs for five nights was approx £800pp.

It will be more expensive this year as flights are around the £900+ mark with KLM at the moment.

Did you split flights in Europe or did you fly direct from UK? I've only ever checked prices from UK direct but only for an estimate obv as dates haven't been confirmed

Last edited:
My plan is South Africa next year then nout in 2024 and an extra year saving to do two tests in the 2025/26 Ashes series.

Did you split flights in Europe or did you fly direct from UK? I've only ever checked prices from UK direct but only for an estimate obv as dates haven't been confirmed
We flew KLM from Newcastle via Amsterdam. Day flight there, overnight on the way back. Its about 14½ hours each way.

Not too bad. Suppose Amsterdam is no different to connecting at Heathrow (did that in Jan). Will see what's cheapest when they get round to confirming dates
The Cricketer says the ODI's will be played in February & March next year. However, the headline on International Cricket Tours says the same but the report says late January/February. Other sites are saying January. No idea which one to believe at the moment.

I’ve not done NZ but both the Windies and SA are better than Australia in my experience… and cheaper as you say.

Ballpark most destinations are 600-700 for flights and 80-100 a night for a decent Air BnB (which obviously you can split). Add on drinks and tickets and it’s easy to price it up against the tour operators.

Don’t know when we next tour Sri Lanka but that’s definitely one to do too imo.

Last edited:
I’ve not done NZ but both the Windies and SA are better than Australia in my experience… and cheaper as you say.

Ballpark most destinations are 600-700 for flights and 80-100 a night for a decent Air BnB (which obviously you can split). Add on drinks and tickets and it’s easy to price it up against the tour operators.

Don’t know when we next tour Sri Lanka but that’s definitely one to do too imo.

Some regular England away travellers I know claim Sri Lanka is the best of the tours. They proper sold it to me to the point I'd agreed whichever happened first between South Africa and Sri Lanka is the one I'd do.

We flew KLM from Newcastle via Amsterdam. Day flight there, overnight on the way back. Its about 14½ hours each way.
We had a few jars tho when you got there
Some regular England away travellers I know claim Sri Lanka is the best of the tours. They proper sold it to me to the point I'd agreed whichever happened first between South Africa and Sri Lanka is the one I'd do.
NZ is the best by a mile
What a place

I’m Flying to Auckland tomorrow. Never seen my son, daughter in law, grand daughter for over 2 years with the COVID restrictions, but yes it’s a beautiful country. Just a heads up, at the moment, anyone going to New Zealand needs a NZTA visa, NHS COVID pass showing two or three vacations depending on age and a New Zealand travel pass. Hopefully things will ease off by next year.

I’m Flying to Auckland tomorrow. Never seen my son, daughter in law, grand daughter for over 2 years with the COVID restrictions, but yes it’s a beautiful country. Just a heads up, at the moment, anyone going to New Zealand needs a NZTA visa, NHS COVID pass showing two or three vacations depending on age and a New Zealand travel pass. Hopefully things will ease off by next year.

Never thought about covid. I'd get a covid pass but at the same time NZ are probably the most likely country to call another lockdown and stop international travel. Worth considering

Class mate. For some reason I’d rather visit NZ than Oz but of course I have to go to Oz for the ashes. Wish it wasn’t a full day away on a plane :lol:

Class mate. For some reason I’d rather visit NZ than Oz but of course I have to go to Oz for the ashes. Wish it wasn’t a full day away on a plane :lol:
Thankfully, it was only last week New Zealand stopped requiring the pre departure COVID tests. Last time I flew out on Emirates it was Manchester-Dubai-Auckland, now it’s Manchester- Dubai - Kuala Lumpar - Auckland.

NZ is much much better than Oz. Much more laid back, smaller distances, browner beer.
Indian sub continent is great. Really cheap as well. Last time good seats were £3 a day in Visakh. Ticket prices similar throughout India. Cheapest was 10p a day in Bangladesh.
Sri Lanka easy to get around, good beer, pricier than India (apart from Mumbai) but still cheap. Lots to see on a small island. Easy to get around.
In 2012 they put the prices up for tickets from £2.50 a day to £25 a day. It provided a challenge to get in for local prices/free etc. People were pissed off that it put an unexpected £250 on top of the holiday.
Some off here went last time, there was cheaper tickets, have a look to see how people did it. Barmy army complained after 2012, and loads of independent fans said they're never going back to SL.

SA good value as well. Beautiful country, Cape Town is fantastic and National Parks all over, even Cape Point about 30 miles from the city, which has a bit of wildlife.

All easy to do on your own.
Take your pick

Last edited:

Back