Training advice

Major

Central Defender
Recently joined a gym and looking for some advice. I don't have a specific goal in mind, other than self improvement. I'm looking for full body work out that I can do 3 times a week. I've looked online for a plan to follow and have come across Jeremy Ethier, where you do workout A,B,A and then B,A,B. Anyone point in the direction of decent plans to follow for a beginner?

A lot of people have had good results from StrongLifts 5x5.

If you’re starting out then do some research, find out your limitations, do what you enjoy, don’t be too rigid, avoid injury, learn the correct form.

Does your gym do an induction? Get someone to show you how to use the equipment and how to do the main compound movements using free weights. If they look confused then maybe it’s worth finding a personal trainer for a few sessions.

You’ll probably find that people on here are more knowledgeable than a lot of people who work in a gym chain.

Another vote for Stronglifts here.

And I'd echo Stevie's words to have someone look at your technique early doors, it is more difficult to unlearn bad form later than it is to learn good form from the start - I speak from experience!

Another vote for Stronglifts here.

And I'd echo Stevie's words to have someone look at your technique early doors, it is more difficult to unlearn bad form later than it is to learn good form from the start - I speak from experience!
I once read a decent article by Lyle McDonald who suggested that beginners could get results from using machines instead of free weights, as they would at least avoid causing themselves an injury through poor form.

As you know, a lot depends on the age, physique, capability of the OP - an 18 year old flexible skinny yoof could achieve a lot from eating more good quality food and going for any type of progressive overload.

A 50 year old desk bound overweight person will probably need a different training regime.

Appreciate the advice, I've reached out to a mate (personal trainer) whose going to help develop a plan. I know what I'm doing in the gym in general but lack the knowledge to understand what kind of exercises I should be doing.

Something akin to Stronglifts is your best bet, especially as a beginner.

It’s linear progression for as long as you can keep it up so if self-improvement is the goal it’s ideal as the idea is to increase the weight in each exercise 2.5kg every time you do it.

Back