Tottenham at Roker 1977

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTF

Full Back
Has been mentioned on here a good few times but here's a fresh perspective from a newspaper cutting from the time (you may have to log in to be able to view it):

picture.php

Jimmy Hill should be ashamed of himself for sensationalising what was – according to the ‘police spokesman’- just a bit of 'jostling'…

I must have been there ( I remember the few games I missed) but I have no recollection of this.

I was in the Fulwell and just remember them clambering out of the Roker.
I was also in the fulwell, and witnessed the Spurs fans spilling onto the pitch to escape a good hiding in the Roker.

I was in the Roker. Bloke who now works in the office next to me on this here London was also in the Roker - he is a Spurs supporter.

One of the lads from Shields had curly hair n red n white striped trousers- he followed them on the pitch and the spurs fans in the corner started singing ' theres only one Andy Pandy' ... Dont recall him wearing those trousers again.

story's been told on here loads of time.
climbing onto the pitch was the final desperate escape act after the leathering they'd had on the back steps and underneath the roker.
don't forget the mob that got done was tottenham's firm, not innocent bystanders.
they came looking for it and got one of the biggest hidings ever handed out at roker, not to mention being attacked by some f**king lunatic with a sweeping brush.:lol:

Tottenham had one season in the second division in the 70s. It has gone down in Tottenham folklore as the season that they took the piss at every away game that season – apart from Roker.

Their fans did a book about that season – it would be interesting to see what they said about that day…

It was on MOTD but not many people would have had a video in those days so I doubt anyone has it and could put it on YouTube?

I was there too - all i can remember was Spurs fans climbing over the fence to get on to the track and being surrounded by a few police horses.

Has been mentioned on here a good few times but here's a fresh perspective from a newspaper cutting from the time (you may have to log in to be able to view it):

picture.php

Jimmy Hill should be ashamed of himself for sensationalising what was – according to the ‘police spokesman’- just a bit of 'jostling'…

I was at that match

Tottenham had one season in the second division in the 70s. It has gone down in Tottenham folklore as the season that they took the piss at every away game that season – apart from Roker.

Their fans did a book about that season – it would be interesting to see what they said about that day…

It was on MOTD but not many people would have had a video in those days so I doubt anyone has it and could put it on YouTube?

I think there's a nice oil painting depicting the scene out there somewhere, supposed to really catch the moment.

Anyone who was at the Spurs away game towards the end of the previous (relegation) season will know why there were so many Sunderland fans looking for revenge.

The brush incident will live with me to my dying day!

Anyone who was at the Spurs away game towards the end of the previous (relegation) season will know why there were so many Sunderland fans looking for revenge.

The brush incident will live with me to my dying day!

100% correct and sweet revenge it was.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back