Top 5 worst Sunderland home games

Has anyone mentioned the 2-3 v Barnsley in '87? The epitome of SAFC snatching a catastrophic defeat from a pyrrhic victory.

Two other mundane games that were terrible- 0-2 v Southend on a miserable damp day in November 1993, part of their run of 4 or 5 successive wins at Roker Park, and 0-1 v Blackburn in February 1990 where nothing positive happened at all

What’s the worst 5 you’ve been to? A memory popped up from “on this day” which got me thinking about it.

1. Mags 1-4 2006
2. Mags 0-3 2024
3. Everton 0-2 FA cup 2012
4. Crystal Palace 2-1 Play off semi 2004
5. Mags 0-1 2011
Fulham at home 68, I was 9 and experienced my first Roker crowd turning on the team. Booing Charlie and the lads as they came out for the 2nd half.

Still don't get why any of us ever boo our own players.

QPR May 73 was also dire. Some homecoming: A moron threatening the ref on the pitch, losing 3 nil and Geordie Thomas flicking the vees.

Gillingham in 87 of course.

Plus loads from Moyes/Grayson/Coleman/ Beale...

My God, there must be more to life.😅

Probably mostly from the last few years.
Sunderland 1. Lincoln 3
Sunderland 2.. Gillingham 2 (a few days before lockdown)
Sunderland 1. Burton 1 (when a fan died).
Sunderland 1. Burton 2 (relegation).
And just for fun Sunderland 0/1 Crystal Palace/Aston Villa 4.

It was February 1989. For context Walsall had not won in 22 games in all competitions since beating us 2-0 at Fellows Park in the reverse fixture the previous October and were on the back of a 7-0 home defeat to Chelsea in their previous match and were hurtling towards relegation. I don't think we had lost at home in the league all season up to that point but, almost predictably, succumbed to a 3-0 defeat courtesy of Stuart Rimmer's hattrick. A truly awful afternoon and definitely up there with the worst home game I've witnessed and, believe me, there have been plenty.
1988 sunderland 0 walsall 3

The gillingham FA cup 1st round when our goalie had to go into the empty stand to get the ball. That had “kill me now, the club’s already deed!” Vibes.

Most of the 20017-18 season could vie for those places as well.

Then a wildcard….and not even a loss but felt like a terrible one.

Cruising towards automatic in 1998- 2-0 up against QPR,this time of year, 7 mins to gan…..

Enter stage left Mike f’in Sherron.

Felt like I’d been kicked in the plums for about a week.
Quincy missed a sitter at the death too in that qpr game
2-4 against Southend in 1993, with an unknown player called Stan Collymore getting a hat-trick.
Tore us apart that day unplayable

Last edited:
Fulham at home 68, I was 9 and experienced my first Roker crowd turning on the team. Booing Charlie and the lads as they came out for the 2nd half.

Still don't get why any of us ever boo our own players.

QPR May 73 was also dire. Some homecoming: A moron threatening the ref on the pitch, losing 3 nil and Geordie Thomas flicking the vees.

Gillingham in 87 of course.

Plus loads from Moyes/Grayson/Coleman/ Beale...

My God, there must be more to life.😅

FA Cup game lost 1-4 ?

Two other mundane games that were terrible- 0-2 v Southend on a miserable damp day in November 1993, part of their run of 4 or 5 successive wins at Roker Park, and 0-1 v Blackburn in February 1990 where nothing positive happened at all
Was that the day it was freezing? Remember being so cold in the Fulwell watching our lot get schooled by Southend

It was February 1989. For context Walsall had not won in 22 games in all competitions since beating us 2-0 at Fellows Park in the reverse fixture the previous October and were on the back of a 7-0 home defeat to Chelsea in their previous match and were hurtling towards relegation. I don't think we had lost at home in the league all season up to that point but, almost predictably, succumbed to a 3-0 defeat courtesy of Stuart Rimmer's hattrick. A truly awful afternoon and definitely up there with the worst home game I've witnessed and, believe me, there have been plenty.
This is the one for me…I remember the week before seeing they’d lost 7 nowt at home to Chelsea and realising they had us up next…having not won for months and months…their last win being against us…it was only ever going to end one way 😭

This is the one for me…I remember the week before seeing they’d lost 7 nowt at home to Chelsea and realising they had us up next…having not won for months and months…their last win being against us…it was only ever going to end one way 😭
Too true and so typically Sunderland. Unfortunately we have form for this type of result as has been demonstrated on numerous occasions down the years but that game against Walsall was something else and lives long in the memory for all the wrong reasons. Ironically we only lost three home games in the league that season and the other two were against Chelsea and Manchester City who were the outstanding teams in the division and who were promoted automatically.

Back