Took the plunge...

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cowvahlo

and got myself a Canon 700d along with a Tamron zoom lense.

Love both, pleased I bought them but on a recent wildlife spotting trip found the zoom lens to be lacking so I'm after something a bit bigger.

Heading up to the outer Hebrides cycling at the weekend and wouldn't mind getting a new lens before I go, any recommendations?

@Icarebecauseyoudo

Just posted this in the photography forum but it's dead in there....

Got myself a Canon 700d along with a Tamron zoom Lens a few weeks back

Love both, pleased I bought them but on a recent wildlife spotting trip found the zoom lens to be lacking so I'm after something a bit bigger.

Heading up to the outer Hebrides cycling at the weekend and wouldn't mind getting a new lens before I go, any recommendations?

Pics ;)

The problem with a lens for wildlife is it will be "a bit bigger" - the longer the focal length and the wider the aperture, the bigger, heavier and more expensive the lens. None of which lends itself to cycling!

What is your Tamron, and what sort of budget do you have for a telephoto?

It's f4-5.6, full range is 70-300mm.
a cheap option would be to get a Canon 1.4x extender. It'll have a negative effect on the lenses speed, auto focus and image quality but would get you a bit extra reach.

TBH that Tamron is an EF lens (meaning it'll fit a 35mm sensor), on your camera it's got effectively the reach a 480mm lens would on a 35mm sensor. That's pretty long already.

a cheap option would be to get a Canon 1.4x extender. It'll have a negative effect on the lenses speed, auto focus and image quality but would get you a bit extra reach.

TBH that Tamron is an EF lens (meaning it'll fit a 35mm sensor), on your camera it's got effectively the reach a 480mm lens would on a 35mm sensor. That's pretty long already.
How much damage does it do to image quality? Didn't realise it went to 480mm mind. Tbfh it seems like a pretty good lends especially for the money but it's just not quite long enough for what I'm after.
Was cery frustrating when there's a sea eagle sitting on a hill top and the lens can just say make out the shape not any detail! Don't want to miss those opportunities again

How much damage does it do to image quality? Didn't realise it went to 480mm mind. Tbfh it seems like a pretty good lends especially for the money but it's just not quite long enough for what I'm after.
Was cery frustrating when there's a sea eagle sitting on a hill top and the lens can just say make out the shape not any detail! Don't want to miss those opportunities again
What you have currently is like putting a 480mm lens on a 'top of the range' Canon camera, doesn't really make a differene to you so just forget I said that, I've probably complicated it for you. Was just saying it's already pretty rangey.

The 1.4x extender doesn't have that much negative effect to image quality but the 2x defo does.

Depends how much money you want to spend but that 150-600mm Sigma is a huge amount of reach for the price. Expensive hobby.

What you have currently is like putting a 480mm lens on a 'top of the range' Canon camera, doesn't really make a differene to you so just forget I said that, I've probably complicated it for you. Was just saying it's already pretty rangey.

The 1.4x extender doesn't have that much negative effect to image quality but the 2x defo does.

Depends how much money you want to spend but that 150-600mm Sigma is a huge amount of reach for the price. Expensive hobby.
I'll pop into jessops tomorrow and see what they've got. Didn't really want to spend that much but looks as though that's how much they are so I'll have to bite the bullet I reckon .

I'll pop into jessops tomorrow and see what they've got. Didn't really want to spend that much but looks as though that's how much they are so I'll have to bite the bullet I reckon .
that's why the rentals can be good, try before you buy, see if it'll do what you want it to

Just posted this in the photography forum but it's dead in there....

Got myself a Canon 700d along with a Tamron zoom Lens a few weeks back

It might be quieter, but you'll get better advice here

Pics ;)

The problem with a lens for wildlife is it will be "a bit bigger" - the longer the focal length and the wider the aperture, the bigger, heavier and more expensive the lens. None of which lends itself to cycling!

What is your Tamron, and what sort of budget do you have for a telephoto?
See the rest of the thread mate, think I've decide I'll pay around the £750 mark.

As for the cycling, I'm going duly laden with camping gear so gave planned in the weigh and size of camera gear as well.

I wouldn't be in such a rush but I'll be wild camping all the way at some tremendous places where the chances of seeing pretty cool stuff is very high...I'll kick myself if I can't get decent pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back