tony greig dead...

Status
Not open for further replies.
RIP Tony, came as a real shock that. An excellent cricketer and commentator.

also loved the 12th man and Billy Birmingham did a great impression of Tony.

"Thank you Richie, what a magnificent one-day strip has been prepared here today, its a real credit to Dicky Road, Bob's your uncle, and his staff of groundsmen! But take along at some of these cracks here, some of these are as big as the f***ing grand canyon, and they could play real damage today with some of the batsmen. Turning now to the Weather wall, you can see that the wind is moving through the north-east at about 15 knots and out of my arse at about 20! All in all, it looks like it will be a pretty good gamer here today. Now its back to Richie in the central missionary postion!
Richie: Oh for fuck's sake Tony, its the central commentary position you pigeon toed Pee brain! :lol:

He was the England captain when I first got into cricket. He wrote a weekly column in 'Tiger & Scorcher' and seemed to convey that the five tests England lost in Australia were just warm-ups for the real thing, the sixth and final test, which England won. As a kid, you couldn't help but like someone who could put spin like that on such a disastrous tour!

I still remember his brave, brave innings against the West Indies in 1976. England 1-0 down, he gets a century in the first innings, then is left stranded on about 75 as England fell about 50 runs short. He had the grace to say "They made us grovel" at the end of that series, too!

Nobody could dig their car keys into the pitch like he could. I can almost hear him now saying "right off the meat of the bat" at any test he commentated on or, shouting almost deliriously from Sabina Park "Bowled him! He's gone, Richards has gone! Devon Malcolm's got him with a little jaffa!" as England won a test in the West Indies for the first time since he'd played there 16 years beforehand.

He always championed the cause of Sri Lankan cricket, too, before they were given test status in the early 80's, and will certainly be missed there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back