tony greig dead...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not everyone's favourite guy but a great cricketer and competitor RIP

yeah, an interesting bloke. he certainly had strong opinions and was almost a parody of himself in his later career as a commentator... i enjoyed his battles with ian chappell and bill lawry

actually died of a heart attack. to be honest probably a better way to go than struggling through a prolonged illness.

Very sad news. Great commentator.

Also took one of the best catches I've ever seen playing for England. Took it down on the boundary one handed.

Loved watching him play, long loping stride when he came into bowl.

RIP.

Very underated when talking about great cricketers of the past. All rounder averaging 40 with the bat on shit pitches when you think great English batsmen such as Gooch averaged about 42. He also averaged 31 with the ball but could either bowl seamers getting plenty of bounce or spin equally well depending on conditions. Best slip fielder of a generation. RIP Tony.

Another part of my youth gone :-(

Greig was one of main reasons I got into cricket. His brash personality, funny accent and the fact he could play.

I used to follow Sussex because of him.

He was a brilliant captain, winning in India in 1976-77 was his finest achievement.

He got it wrong in 1976 mind when he wound the West Indies up :lol:

The modern cricketer owes his so much. He basically ended his career by teaming up with Packer to recruit the best players in the world. But cricketers suddenly realised they had power and were not earning as much as they could.

I also liked him as a commentator, he was great on CH4 in the 2005 Ashes series.

Really sad. RIP Tony.

Last edited:
Sadly Greig was always remembered in England for two things - turning his back on the team to recruit other players for Kerry Packer, and an interview before the '76 series against WIs where he said they would grovel.

He was much more than that though. Quite a capable all-rounder and an excellent commentator.

RIP Greigy.

Sadly Greig was always remembered in England for two things - turning his back on the team to recruit other players for Kerry Packer, and an interview before the '76 series against WIs where he said they would grovel.

He was much more than that though. Quite a capable all-rounder and an excellent commentator.

RIP Greigy.

He was f***ing miles better than that :lol: He had an excellent record as a front line batsman alone better than the likes of Botham, Atherton, Hussain etc and a bowling average better than the likes of Flintoff and Broad and on a par with the likes of Harmison and close to Anderson. This guy was a seriously good cricketer.

Last edited:
Another part of my youth gone :-(

Greig was one of main reasons I got into cricket. His brash personality, funny accent and the fact he could play.

I used to follow Sussex because of him.

He was a brilliant captain, winning in India in 1976-77 was his finest achievement.

He got it wrong in 1976 mind when he wound the West Indies up :lol:

The modern cricketer owes his so much. He basically ended his career by teaming up with Packer to recruit the best players in the world. But cricketers suddenly realised they had power and were not earning as much as they could.

I also liked him as a commentator, he was great on CH4 in the 2005 Ashes series.

Really sad. RIP Tony.

one door closed but another one opened. he did very well out of relationship with packer and channel 9 (and fair play to him). he lived in a great house in one of sydney's best suburbs.

Very sad - a great all rounder and his abilitities are often over shadowed by his defection to Packer and the fact he was a South African playing for England.

I first remember him playing for England v Rest of World in 1970, but he didn't get picked again for 2 years (qualification period ?)

Remember those 'one-piece' batting gloves that he wore ?

Got his autograph of Headingley in 1977 after the Test win v Australia - he was in a lengthy chat with some kind of busnessman/agent. I sometimes wonder if it was anything to do with Packer as it was around the time the story broke.

Loved his enthuisiastic and quite often wrong commentries - brilliant !

He was f***ing miles better than that :lol: He had an excellent record as a front line batsman alone better than the likes of Botham, Atherton, Hussain etc and a bowling average better than the likes of Flintoff and Broad and on a par with the likes of Harmison and close to Anderson. This guy was a seriously good cricketer.

He was. There is stuff on You Tube where he is smashing Lillee and Thomson all over in 1974-75.

He also won a Test Match in West Indies in 1974 when bowling off breaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back