Tony Coton

Do you mean why was he signed? What do I make of his signing and Coton's role to play other than what I put or why have I spelt his name wrong?

Coton is part of the problem - no excuses. Leadbitter was bone idle recruitment, Throw in McLaughlin, De Bock and McNulty and it looks even worse.

If reports are true that he missed 6-9 months of his first year recovering from a heart attack (?) then the biggest mistake was not paying someone to replace him.

I think STID may reveal our owners trying to take on the responsibility last January and making a pig's ear of it.
So is Wolves manager.

Good point.

So was Dino Zoff and nearly won the Euros

Hyew Tony. Fcuk off

seriously though I get the first window was a rush job and a scouting system takes time etc but still there are certain attributes that have been lacking massively for eons like pace and athleticism, especially through the middle that just weren’t addressed or even looked like being addressed

Coton is part of the problem - no excuses. Leadbitter was bone idle recruitment, Throw in McLaughlin, De Bock and McNulty and it looks even worse.

Leadbitter was I agree, I said as much although I kind of attribute him to Donald as they had discussions when Donald took over. This is what I'm talking about with the remit, if it is to find players with the sole intention of a short term target asap then you open yourself up to big problems.

Mclaughlin I completely agree, Mcnulty was far from what was required but these are set off with 09, Willis and Dobson.

However, De Bock was simply a case of the club not being able to get targets and getting someone in with the best reputation possible, that happens.

If indeed we are now searching for the right players that January possibly indicates, then although anyone could do it using a database, it still needs to be done and we haven't previously.

This is not me saying Coton is exceptional at his position, purely that I don't think he warrants some of the stick and he is possibly being judged incorrectly.
Hyew Tony. Fcuk off

seriously though I get the first window was a rush job and a scouting system takes time etc but still there are certain attributes that have been lacking massively for eons like pace and athleticism, especially through the middle that just weren’t addressed or even looked like being addressed

I'm always wary of the fans saying power, athleticism and pace etc, as when provided they are ridiculed just the same e.g Big Alf & Watmore. What I think they're asking for is more akin to Ronaldo.
He’s not the whole problem - and I’d get rid of Hill first if I only had one bullet from r sure. However Coton is still a big problem. There can be no excuse for going down the tired ‘contacts’ route exclusively. It’s even worse if he was left on his own. If he’s been underresourced then it’s even more unforgivable that he didn’t adopt a data led approach. Christ this forum has found public domain data sources that indicate the sorts of players that would be worth tracking. It wasn’t beyond Coton to do the same. Indeed he does actually have an analytics department at his disposal too, apparently.

Lastly, for our clear need for pace and athleticism in the team to be left largely unaddressed across 3.5 windows and counting cannot be solely be attributed to lack of funds. Our league one rivals seem to achieve it just fine. He might not be the root cause of our pains but he’s most certainly a very painful symptom.

I get what you're saying mate and as you know agree on most things but the data-led approach requires a larger pool and as we had no one to go abroad, let alone the budget to do it, this is a scouting setup basic in the extreme.

I'm just thinking that Willis, Dobson, Coyle, Boyce & Docherty may signal a slightly better approach than purely who he is recommended. A team full of these players without the short term and panic signings has a chance.

As for the analytics department, I wouldn't be surprised if that was basic in the extreme given Donalds chat about them producing stats of what minute we have conceded.

Last edited:
Pity he can't get shot of the new Rodwell ( mcgeady )
I don't know if that's a little unfair on Geads, marra. He appears to be a bad apple, agreed, but he did give us some bright moments last season. However, Grigg has never put a shift in from what I've seen and is and has never given me any hope and optimism.
Poor form to compare either McGeady or Grigg to Rodwell.
Rodwell should only be compared to other non-triers and selfish b@stards like Djillibodji and NDong.

Leadbitter was I agree, I said as much although I kind of attribute him to Donald as they had discussions when Donald took over. This is what I'm talking about with the remit, if it is to find players with the sole intention of a short term target asap then you open yourself up to big problems.

Mclaughlin I completely agree, Mcnulty was far from what was required but these are set off with 09, Willis and Dobson.

However, De Bock was simply a case of the club not being able to get targets and getting someone in with the best reputation possible, that happens.

If indeed we are now searching for the right players that January possibly indicates, then although anyone could do it using a database, it still needs to be done and we haven't previously.

This is not me saying Coton is exceptional at his position, purely that I don't think he warrants some of the stick and he is possibly being judged incorrectly.

I'm always wary of the fans saying power, athleticism and pace etc, as when provided they are ridiculed just the same e.g Big Alf & Watmore. What I think they're asking for is more akin to Ronaldo.

I get what you're saying mate and as you know agree on most things but the data-led approach requires a larger pool and as we had no one to go abroad, let alone the budget to do it, this is a scouting setup basic in the extreme.

I'm just thinking that Willis, Dobson, Coyle, Boyce & Docherty may signal a slightly better approach than purely who he is recommended. A team full of these players without the short term and panic signings has a chance.

As for the analytics department, I wouldn't be surprised if that was basic in the extreme given Donalds chat about them producing stats of what minute we have conceded.

Agree with most things you post mate but our recruitment over the 3 previous windows has been shocking. Considering Ross himself admitted he didn't have a clue about L1 I don't see how Coton and Hill can't be held to be significantly responsible. Also feel Parky will have more input into this windows business than Ross did previously.

Agree with most things you post mate but our recruitment over the 3 previous windows has been shocking. Considering Ross himself admitted he didn't have a clue about L1 I don't see how Coton and Hill can't be held to be significantly responsible. Also feel Parky will have more input into this windows business than Ross did previously.

Aye, fair do's. It's not my intention to say that is has been good, just it could have been an awful lot worse and I believe the blame to lie beyond TC.
What was the plan going into this window? Once again we seem to be enquiring about everyone and everything.

Seems were after the right type of player should the media be believed.

Personally I find the amount of strikers we have been linked with odd due to the number we currently have, the squad is still heavily imbalanced with too many CM's and Strikers and only one LB.

Last edited:
By all accounts Tony Coton was a one man band until fairly recently. Bit unfair some of the criticism imo. Look at the owner more for not supporting him.
SD wasn’t planning on being here this season. I don’t care for any of that PR bullshit him and his wanker mate pedal. If they were planning to be here for the long haul we wouldn’t have gone 18 months without a scouting network and we’d have seen some signs of this “ Dortmund model”. He gambled on the quality of the squad and it back fired. Now he’s having to borrow money to put something in place. Tony Coton isn’t the problem it’s the toss pot who owns us.
Aye, fair do's. It's not my intention to say that is has been good, just it could have been an awful lot worse and I believe the blame to lie beyond TC.

Seems were after the right type of player should the media be believed.

Personally I find the amount of strikers we have been linked with odd due to the number we currently have, the squad is still heavily imbalanced with too many CM's and Strikers and only one LB.
The CM is a bit light at the minute imo. Leadbitter isn’t fit for purpose and we are stuck with him. Robson? Embleton? Both untested and Embleton is more of an attacking midfielder. Need another CM and 100% a left back.

Last edited:
SD wasn’t planning on being here this season. I don’t care for any of that PR bullshit him and his wanker mate pedal. If they were planning to be here for the long haul we wouldn’t have gone 18 months without a scouting network and we’d have seen some signs of this “ Dortmund model”. He gambled on the quality of the squad and it back fired. Now he’s having to borrow money to put something in place. Tony Coton isn’t the problem it’s the toss pot who owns us.

The CM is a bit light at the minute imo. Leadbitter isn’t fit for purpose and we are stuck with him. Robson? Embleton? Both untested and Embleton is more of an attacking midfielder. Need another CM and 100% a left back.

I make it 6 players that are capable of playing CM for 2 spots. I agree that we could use better players there but we should reap what we sow rather than continually buy stop gap players because we still have the last lot on the wage bill.

Its almost as if failure to recruit properly doesn't matter if there isnt the penalty of having to manage them in my opinion.

I make it 6 players that are capable of playing CM for 2 spots. I agree that we could use better players there but we should reap what we sow rather than continually buy stop gap players because we still have the last lot on the wage bill.

Its almost as if failure to recruit properly doesn't matter if there isnt the penalty of having to manage them in my opinion.
We need some variation in the squad. CM particularly last season were just carbon copies of each other. Which made the Leadbitter signing a very poor one. We are crying out for someone who can carry the ball and drive us forward and give us some energy. Power or Dobson got injured I d be worried about CM.

We need some variation in the squad. CM particularly last season were just carbon copies of each other. Which made the Leadbitter signing a very poor one. We are crying out for someone who can carry the ball and drive us forward and give us some energy. Power or Dobson got injured I d be worried about CM.

Completely agree, just the time to address this was when they bought Grant, not after. We've already tossed our top earner on to the scrap heap and we appear to be in the process of doing it with the second highest earner. Practically every other club in this division would wince at how wasteful we are.

For all folk have a go at us not spending enough money, we aren't shy on wasting it.

Back