Tommy Watson, Caden Kelly and Harrison Jones

There is a simple explanation for that - Speakman !!! 😡
So you think Speakman who is ultimately responsible for the academy as well is deliberately blocking off our own Academy players even though there was 4 on the bench the last game ( if you include Kelly) and 3 others have made the bench the last few months that I can think of.
Probably not but I’d rather just win a couple and relax allowing us to blood a few and not rush back lads in recovery.
Because of teams playing each other I reckon it might even be impossible to get relegated with 6 more points.

Last edited:
So you think Speakman who is ultimately responsible for the academy as well is deliberately blocking off our own Academy players even though there was 4 on the bench the last game ( if you include Kelly) and 3 others have made the bench the last few months that I can think of.
They were only on the bench because of injuries and suspensions.
Soeakman will not allow HIS signings to be dropped to make way for academy players. If he did it would show that his recruitment has been absolutely woeful (which we all know it has been). If you believe otherwise then you are deluded.

Might be wrong but this is probably the first season in quite a while (well over a decade) where we will go into the last 10 games with nothing to play for. Perfect time to start a few of the academy prospects and give them some first team experience. Rigg for example should start every game now until the end of the season. Give him the exposure to really feel what it’s like playing first team adult football.
I agree. I’d like to see a bit more of the teenage young English midfield prospect Bellingham. Get these lads in the team.

We've been doing it all season, that been part of the problem, the only difference is some of the young lads who were already here in the U21 havn't had their chance yet..
With Who ?
I think every young player we have brought in had previously been blooded in adult football (albeit overseas at questionable levels) .
I do agree with you're point in principle but there are times to do it and at this current time , a team / club on a downward spiral possibly walking into a relegation battle in the championship one of the most brutal lges in Europe imo now is not the time to blood / expose the promising potential academy products.

They have already flogged jobe and Speakman saying few weeks back he dosnt need a rest !!!! Yet they are now saying the int break will benefit him with the rest ...... !

Last edited:
They were only on the bench because of injuries and suspensions.
Soeakman will not allow HIS signings to be dropped to make way for academy players. If he did it would show that his recruitment has been absolutely woeful (which we all know it has been). If you believe otherwise then you are deluded.
He’ll be judged overall. If he insists on his signings playing ahead of better academy players he’ll be out the door sooner. I don’t think he dies actually do this. He’s had a rough 2 or 3 windows though and needs to improve significantly in the summer window.

He’ll be judged overall. If he insists on his signings playing ahead of better academy players he’ll be out the door sooner. I don’t think he dies actually do this. He’s had a rough 2 or 3 windows though and needs to improve significantly in the summer window.
I hope to god he isn’t here for the summer window. He has been a failure and the state we are in is down to KLD handing him the responsibility & him messing it up !!!

I hope to god he isn’t here for the summer window. He has been a failure and the state we are in is down to KLD handing him the responsibility & him messing it up !!!
Bit extreme marra

With Who ?
I think every young player we have brought in had previously been blooded in adult football (albeit overseas at questionable levels) .
I do agree with you're point in principle but there are times to do it and at this current time , a team / club on a downward spiral possibly walking into a relegation battle in the championship one of the most brutal lges in Europe imo now is not the time to blood / expose the promising potential academy products.

They have already flogged jobe and Speakman saying few weeks back he dosnt need a rest !!!! Yet they are now saying the int break will benefit him with the rest ...... !
The problem for me is we've been blooding young players who were brought to the club all season, I've seen Hemir in the first team and in the U21, and he's looked out of his depth in both. Yet the lad has continued to play, it doesn't make sense to me...

Anyone who watches the young lads regularly who do you think is most ready? Guessing watson is the most highly rated?

Anyone who watches the young lads regularly who do you think is most ready? Guessing watson is the most highly rated?
I think sometimes it's not the most talented that are 'ready' Watson & Middlemas look like natural talents & could go far but not convinced they're physically there yet. Harrison Jones looks like he wouldn't disgrace himself & I'm convinced Olli Bainbridge wouldn't have done any worse than Hjelde for the 1st team, so why we spunked £1.5m on that lump is beyond me. Caden Kelly though is probably the closest for me, probably doesn't have the same levels of talent as someone like Watson but he's strong & busy, not afraid to have a run or a shot & show for the ball. He reminds me of Honeyman who definitely wasn't the most talented of his group but has made his talents go the furthest.

We all know that the model needs to change a little and we need more experienced players. However since that can't happen in the short term these lads, and other promising youth players, need more games time. They're not any younger than the players we are playing on the whole and in similar youth games they've often looked better.

Hopefully with the season now dead they get a chance to show us what they can do, even if just off the bench.
I know Watson is talked about a lot as the next 1 to break through and he does look good, but Kelly is always the 1 that stands out to me when I watch the under 21's looks a very good player

We all know that the model needs to change a little and we need more experienced players. However since that can't happen in the short term these lads, and other promising youth players, need more games time. They're not any younger than the players we are playing on the whole and in similar youth games they've often looked better.

Hopefully with the season now dead they get a chance to show us what they can do, even if just off the bench.
Good point mate, should give them a chance. Whilst Watson looks the most exciting, he was outmuscled in the FA youth game against Swindon which made me think he isn't ready. Kelly on the other hand looks a real class act, would love to see him given a chance.

Blood them!

I think sometimes it's not the most talented that are 'ready' Watson & Middlemas look like natural talents & could go far but not convinced they're physically there yet. Harrison Jones looks like he wouldn't disgrace himself & I'm convinced Olli Bainbridge wouldn't have done any worse than Hjelde for the 1st team, so why we spunked £1.5m on that lump is beyond me. Caden Kelly though is probably the closest for me, probably doesn't have the same levels of talent as someone like Watson but he's strong & busy, not afraid to have a run or a shot & show for the ball. He reminds me of Honeyman who definitely wasn't the most talented of his group but has made his talents go the furthest.
Echo this sentiment pretty much word for word.
I’d put Ellis Taylor in that bracket of evidently a talented kid, but physically he’s miles off for men’s football imo. He’s head and shoulders above loads of his peers as well, when you watch him.

Last edited:

Back