Tommy Watson, Caden Kelly and Harrison Jones

We all know that the model needs to change a little and we need more experienced players. However since that can't happen in the short term these lads, and other promising youth players, need more games time. They're not any younger than the players we are playing on the whole and in similar youth games they've often looked better.

Hopefully with the season now dead they get a chance to show us what they can do, even if just off the bench.

When I’ve watched age group football, our own academy products have looked vastly better than the young boys we are recruiting from abroad. However, the young boys we are recruiting from abroad seemingly manage to get themselves into the men’s match day squad without issue, whereas our own academy lads are more often than not overlooked. That would seriously piss me off as a young lad that’s spent his juvenile years at the club, working hard to get through the age groups.

Might be wrong but this is probably the first season in quite a while (well over a decade) where we will go into the last 10 games with nothing to play for. Perfect time to start a few of the academy prospects and give them some first team experience. Rigg for example should start every game now until the end of the season. Give him the exposure to really feel what it’s like playing first team adult football.

Might be wrong but this is probably the first season in quite a while (well over a decade) where we will go into the last 10 games with nothing to play for. Perfect time to start a few of the academy prospects and give them some first team experience. Rigg for example should start every game now until the end of the season. Give him the exposure to really feel what it’s like playing first team adult football.
Play him more, but not every match. We’re too late in the day to see him drop off like Bellingham has, but also being a mainstay in a team that might just be going through the motions might end up being a detriment. Have them all in & out giving them exposure, but keep it fresh enough & playing alongside the more experienced (if we have such a thing) first teamers to set them up better for next year’s development

Play him more, but not every match. We’re too late in the day to see him drop off like Bellingham has, but also being a mainstay in a team that might just be going through the motions might end up being a detriment. Have them all in & out giving them exposure, but keep it fresh enough & playing alongside the more experienced (if we have such a thing) first teamers to set them up better for next year’s development

i get your point and don’t necessarily disagree, but I’d play him personally. In a way I’d almost want him to struggle a little bit too so he a) doesn’t get ideas above himself just yet and b) understands better what it takes both mentally and physically. I think it would make him knuckle down pre season and come back stronger next season really ready to kick on and become a regular

When I’ve watched age group football, our own academy products have looked vastly better than the young boys we are recruiting from abroad. However, the young boys we are recruiting from abroad seemingly manage to get themselves into the men’s match day squad without issue, whereas our own academy lads are more often than not overlooked. That would seriously piss me off as a young lad that’s spent his juvenile years at the club, working hard to get through the age groups.
Piece in the echo with Dodds yesterday, Tommy Watson been training more with the first team and he’s looking to integrate him more after Easter weekend. To me sounded like he wants to stop the rut and get 1-2 wins on the board before looking at the young players (Rigg aside). I’d add Middlemass to the 3 you mentioned.
This has been hinted at already a couple of months back by someone with good knowledge of the AOL.

Last edited:
We do seem to blocking off our local grown talent to force the lads from abroad in
Only Hemir and Burstow that I’d say that’s particularly true of and that’s probably because we really haven’t got an alternative centre forward of our own.
Ba and Aouchiche are ahead development wise and experience wise too.
Next season I’d hope to see more of Rigg, Kelly, Watson etc with a slight shift in signing strategy, still signing potential but in the next bracket up and adding some experience through the spine.

We all know that the model needs to change a little and we need more experienced players. However since that can't happen in the short term these lads, and other promising youth players, need more games time. They're not any younger than the players we are playing on the whole and in similar youth games they've often looked better.

Hopefully with the season now dead they get a chance to show us what they can do, even if just off the bench.
This is one of the issues with the clubs approach. No way is Speakman going to let these lads into the squad ahead of his purchases. Imagine he’d have a lot of explaining to do if that was the case.

Only Hemir and Burstow that I’d say that’s particularly true of and that’s probably because we really haven’t got an alternative centre forward of our own.
Ba and Aouchiche are ahead development wise and experience wise too.
Next season I’d hope to see more of Rigg, Kelly, Watson etc with a slight shift in signing strategy, still signing potential but in the next bracket up and adding some experience through the spine.
What about Bellingham ?

Still don't think we're absolutely safe mind we could easily be dragged into a relegation battle

What about Bellingham ?
Needs a rest but at this point he’s probably in on merit. Six goals and generally okay performance is very good for an 18 year old.
Still don't think we're absolutely safe mind we could easily be dragged into a relegation battle
I’d want another six points before feeling like we’re able to take too many risks but equally to get those six points we might have to take a risk!

Last edited:
Needs a rest but at this point he’s probably in on merit. Six goals and generally okay performance is very good for an 18 year old.

I’d want another six points before feeling like we’re able to take too many risks but equally to get those six points we might have to take a risk!
One we get above that 50 point mark I’ll breathe a bit more easily

6 more points would mean Huddersfield would need 16 points from 8 games because of goal difference using the 3rd bottom. Plus qpr would need 15 etc. not happening

Back