Toll fees set to rise for Tyne Tunnels

Its gone crazy since the new tunnel was built and ive heard there will be anther price rise before the end of this year as well
Somehow they lose money (well did on the last accounts). What an utterly terrible business model they must have had. Record numbers, more than predicted but still lose money.

It needs a government buy out with a token amount to pay for running costs. 5p per journey on pre paid accounts.

Somehow they lose money (well did on the last accounts). What an utterly terrible business model they must have had. Record numbers, more than predicted but still lose money.

It needs a government buy out with a token amount to pay for running costs. 5p per journey on pre paid accounts.
Exactly the price is crazy right now especially for people who have to use it every day

I think there’s a misunderstanding around the tunnel. It’s owned by the local councils mostly. The tunnels were PFI and with interest rates increasing it’s dramatically increased payments.

I think there’s a misunderstanding around the tunnel. It’s owned by the local councils mostly. The tunnels were PFI and with interest rates increasing it’s dramatically increased payments.
Yeah, they should never have been PFI, and now the Government should pay off the debt of £240 million (which is pittance for national government) and then the toll can be massively reduced to cover running costs only.

Yeah, they should never have been PFI, and now the Government should pay off the debt of £240 million (which is pittance for national government) and then the toll can be massively reduced to cover running costs only.

The whole project was based upon tolls being in place and interest rates being a fraction of what they are today to cover the PFI. There’s no chance a Tory Government would pay off the PFI and let motorists cover operating costs although I think it’s a good idea.

I use it maybe once per week so the cost is OK. I always avoided working north of the Tyne to avoid tunnel costs or traffic chaos in the past. £20+ a week on top of fuel will be getting maybe not unmanageable but certainly tight for some.

The whole project was based upon tolls being in place and interest rates being a fraction of what they are today to cover the PFI. There’s no chance a Tory Government would pay off the PFI and let motorists cover operating costs although I think it’s a good idea.

I use it maybe once per week so the cost is OK. I always avoided working north of the Tyne to avoid tunnel costs or traffic chaos in the past. £20+ a week on top of fuel will be getting maybe not unmanageable but certainly tight for some.
No I don't think there is a chance a Government of any colour will buy it out, but they should. 'Levelling up'.

How much did Elizabeth line cost when they already had an excellent system before that?

The metro goes hardly anywhere useful in Wearside. And there should be a metro tunnel from Percy Main to Jarrow. And a line South Shields to Sunderland.

Instead of the entire system being geared towards getting people in to Newcastle.

Even if the unlikely happened and the national government wanted to pay off the debt they’d likely be unable to do so. PFI was usually done with hefty fees for early termination in order to guarantee certainty for long term investors.

Even if the unlikely happened and the national government wanted to pay off the debt they’d likely be unable to do so. PFI was usually done with hefty fees for early termination in order to guarantee certainty for long term investors.
15 of 30 years left on the current deal for the operator

More tax rises for ne economy
Robbing bastards
Going up again in may
Yet dartford tunnel is 10% for locals
Wrote to shields mp asking why locals weren’t treated the same round here
But she couldn’t grasp the point

I used it the other day going to see a car.

No queues at all on south side and straight through - excellent.

Delays coming back through just with volume of traffic but it was moving.

£4 - bargain there is no way I’m going all the way round the western bypass or through Newcastle

I used it the other day going to see a car.

No queues at all on south side and straight through - excellent.

Delays coming back through just with volume of traffic but it was moving.

£4 - bargain there is no way I’m going all the way round the western bypass or through Newcastle
Hardly a bargain when it’s part of the national road network
Should be free

Back