Tinnitus

White city Boy

Midfield
Hello lads advice needed
Got a nasty bout of labyrinthitis a couple of months ago and now I’ve been unable to hear out of my left ear it’s not painful but it’s bloody annoying as I can’t hear and it’s got a dull ring to it at all times
Been to the doctors who are useless who recommended I go to the hospital which I’ve done , they did a couple of tests and want to fit me with a hearing aid
( you wanna see the thing) no way am I wearing that
Now I don’t know if I have permanent damage as I’m waiting on the hospital to get in touch with the doctors
As anyone at all had this or am I looking at wearing a hearing aid forever

Hello lads advice needed
Got a nasty bout of labyrinthitis a couple of months ago and now I’ve been unable to hear out of my left ear it’s not painful but it’s bloody annoying as I can’t hear and it’s got a dull ring to it at all times
Been to the doctors who are useless who recommended I go to the hospital which I’ve done , they did a couple of tests and want to fit me with a hearing aid
Now I don’t know if I have permanent damage as I’m waiting on the hospital to get in touch with the doctors
Dunno about the hearing aid mate but that labrythitus can be devastating used to work with a client, turned her life upside down with periodic balance problems for years.

I suffer with tinnitus. Ear syringed always helps or as they practice now ear vacummed. They suck the wax out. It costs money but after it’s done the tinnitus should be much less or none at all.

Yeah I've got Meniere's - tinnitus, hearing loss, vertigo. Can be a nightmare at times. I tend to use headphones a lot to listen to music, audio books or podcasts at night when attempting to sleep. Had it for years.

I was born with tinnitus, until about ten years ago just assumed it was a noise/sound that everybody heard!

After listening to it for 48 years, it’s now starting to affect what frequencies I can hear. Cannot make out what people say if they whispering, or a few people talking together.

@White city Boy - I gave up trying to get help from hospital, the hearing clinic at Durham didn’t quite grasp what I wanted help with. Wanted to help me with my emotions, what my emotion was exactly when I could hear the tinnitus. I don’t think she believed me that it was a noise I heard all the time, no matter if I was happy, sad or pissed off!

I suffer with tinnitus. Ear syringed always helps or as they practice now ear vacummed. They suck the wax out. It costs money but after it’s done the tinnitus should be much less or none at all.
I thought it was that mate , the last time I went to the doctors they said there was nothing blocking my ear up
Hearing aids are nothing top be ashamed of I'd happily wear one.
Quite right but the one the NHS was giving out was the equivalent of the old girls out of Allo Allo
I was born with tinnitus, until about ten years ago just assumed it was a noise/sound that everybody heard!

After listening to it for 48 years, it’s now starting to affect what frequencies I can hear. Cannot make out what people say if they whispering, or a few people talking together.

@White city Boy - I gave up trying to get help from hospital, the hearing clinic at Durham didn’t quite grasp what I wanted help with. Wanted to help me with my emotions, what my emotion was exactly when I could hear the tinnitus. I don’t think she believed me that it was a noise I heard all the time, no matter if I was happy, sad or pissed off!
The hospital have been useless tbh
It’s really starting to get me down if truth be told
Yeah I've got Meniere's - tinnitus, hearing loss, vertigo. Can be a nightmare at times. I tend to use headphones a lot to listen to music, audio books or podcasts at night when attempting to sleep. Had it for years.
Same here mate exactly what I have to do to get some kip

Last edited:
Hearing aids ( the free cheapo nhs type) help me a bit, but the downside is, in a busy pub the noise becomes unbearable. So i take them out. If i wore them constantly, i'd probably have got used to that. But as i say, in a busy pub i take them out. Another downside, when cycling, the normal wind howling in your ears is amplified. It leads to a few sharp exchanges between my wife and I, when she gets sick of repeating things and i get pissed off with her snotty intolerant replies.
Can also lead to people thinking you are anti social or just ignoring them. In a noisy environment, usually a pub with loud music in the background, i miss lots of the conversation, so just get fed up and zoning out, and appearing not interested. Hope you get good help/advice, but i suspect its something you may just have to live with.
I've had Tinnitus for a lot of years now, and am just thankful that its not as bad as some describe theirs to be.

Hello lads advice needed
I wear hearing aids, suffer from vertigo to the point where I take preventative and have rescue medicine if needed and trust me deafness is annoying but vertigo is frightening because of its unpredictability. A spinning sensation is something else if you are trying to keep your balance let alone driving. Being retired is a massive relief as opposed to a working environment which I know was a contributory factor so at least I can dictate to a certain extent situations which otherwise would put me at risk. I paid North of 3k for 2 digital hearing aids which was a financial pain and even though I paid National Insurance Contributions for 48 years paid privately for laser eye surgery when a 6 to 9 month waiting list was the alternative. Trust me the labyrinthitis can reoccur at anytime and what a hearing aid looks like will be the least of your worries. Making sure you have no damage to your inner ear which controls balance should be the number 1 priority.

I wear hearing aids, suffer from vertigo to the point where I take preventative and have rescue medicine if needed and trust me deafness is annoying but vertigo is frightening because of its unpredictability. A spinning sensation is something else if you are trying to keep your balance let alone driving. Being retired is a massive relief as opposed to a working environment which I know was a contributory factor so at least I can dictate to a certain extent situations which otherwise would put me at risk. I paid North of 3k for 2 digital hearing aids which was a financial pain and even though I paid National Insurance Contributions for 48 years paid privately for laser eye surgery when a 6 to 9 month waiting list was the alternative. Trust me the labyrinthitis can reoccur at anytime and what a hearing aid looks like will be the least of your worries. Making sure you have no damage to your inner ear which controls balance should be the number 1 priority.
I know exactly what you mean re vertigo. Really scary. It came over me once so suddenly that I had to actually hold onto buildings and walls to make it to the bus stop. As I can't wear in ear hearing aids as they make me feel sick and dizzy, I recently decided to try a bone anchored hearing aid. Although it took a while to get used to the amplification of absolutely everything, and it's still too much in some situations, it lessens the tinnitus, which surprised me. This is the main reason I'm persevering with it. Plus you can hear what people say behind your back...literally. 😀

Last edited:
Hello lads advice needed

Wear the hearing aid. Don’t diss it. My tinnitus is a f***ing nightmare but I caught it just in time.

Honestly, once your hearing goes you don’t know how fucked you are.
I have to listen to audiobooks to sleep also, otherwise it sends me mental.

Last edited:
I've currently got a middle ear infection which is now finally settling down after a week of agony, deafness and the feeling that I had a gallon of water in me lug.

I therefore really sympathise with the poor sods who have chronic problems with their ears/hearing.

I developed Tinnitus after a mastoid operation on my left ear about 7 years ago. Most of the time my hearing aid helps to mask the noise, but for the last few weeks the tinnitus has been a living hell. I have fluid inside one of the tubes inside my ear, and they are going to drain that away , and insert a grommit. I hope that solves the problem because at the moment the tinnitus is really getting me down. Poeple just do not understand what tinnitus is like, and the effect it can have on your life.

I have tinnitus which reading this thread has just made worse- because over the 4 years or so that I’ve had it I’ve become habitualised and I tend not to need white noise generators and medication to quell the panic anymore.

What I’ve discovered is that everyone’s tinnitus is different - by which I’m not referring to the many causes, outcomes, tones etc, I mean that dealing with it is personalised and dependent on what works for you. But if I was told, a while back, that an ear trumpet would have helped I’d have been walking around with half a brass section sticking out my ear coz I was that desperate.

I've suffered tinnitus for years too. Couple of months ago I woke up in the middle of the night hearing what I can only describe as a generator, I even got up and looked out the window to see if temporary traffic lights or something had been installed - nothing. Then I was blaming the neighbours. Took me a couple of days to accept it was my tinnitus moving onto a new level. Never thought about a hearing aid alleviating the noise (above) so I'll probably look into that.

Back