Time to separate red ball and white ball squads?

Yeah absolutely there is simply two many talented and entertaining cricketers in this country, that I don’t want to see them match winners in just one format.

I am just absolutely staggered by this

Heres a question, do you think fans might take a dislike to some players for this type of thing, its gonna happen more and more, maybe dislike is too steonger word, but wont hold them in the same regard as others

I'd suggest people like Cook and Jimmy are our most popular players before Stokes came about, I think part of that as they seem them just as 2 men totally honest and devoted to England

Theres just absolutely no evidence to me that test cricket isn't bottom of the priority list.

If players would rather play in the IPL than a test series, then just pick players who do.

Last edited:

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but the only way to change the ECB’s handling of this, might be for the test side to get a few spankings without these players and drop down the test rankings.

Winning the Ashes this winter looks a mile off with this sort of preparation anyway.

I am just absolutely staggered by this

Heres a question, do you think fans might take a dislike to some players for this type of thing, its gonna happen more and more, maybe dislike is too steonger word, but wont hold them in the same regard as others

I'd suggest people like Cook and Jimmy are our most popular players before Stokes came about, I think part of that as they seem them just as 2 men totally honest and devoted to England

Theres just absolutely no evidence to me that test cricket isn't bottom of the priority list.

If players would rather play in the IPL than a test series, then just pick players who do.

I see your overall point and have always been a country first club second person in all sports.

However think we need to be a little bit realistic with this.

Firstly I don’t think Cook a good example as although we all have massive respect for him he would never have been selected to play in the IPL with all respect.

We also have to accept whether we like it not, nearly every single player who can and is good enough wants to play in the IPL.

No doubt someone will pull up a article to show somebody focusing on getting their place back for their country ahead of the IPL.

But 99% of players who are good enough want to play in it, you even have players like De Villers, Watson etc who retire from international cricket but played in IPL for years after.

It’s simply not as black and white as saying why would a player miss playing for his country ahead of a franchise tournament in India.

Whether we like it or not and I certainly get why people don’t like it.

The IPL is simply massive the riches on offer and 99% of cricket players whether they admit or not want to play in it!!!

Last edited:
I see your overall point and have always been a country first club second person in all sports.

However think we need to be a little bit realistic with this.

Firstly I don’t think Cook a good example as although we all have massive respect for him he would never have been selected to play in the IPL with all respect.

We also have to accept whether we like it not, nearly every single player who can and is good enough wants to play in the IPL.

No doubt someone will pull up a article to show somebody focusing on getting their place back for their country ahead of the IPL.

But 99% of players who are good enough want to play in it, you even have players like De Villers, Watson etc who retire from international cricket but played in IPL for years after.

It’s simply not as black and white as saying why would a player miss playing for his country ahead of a franchise tournament in India.

Whether we like it or not and I certainly get why people don’t like it.

The IPL is simply massive the riches on offer and 99% of cricket players whether they admit or not want to play in it!!!

Well lets see if Williamson and Boult miss the test series for the IPL

I'dbe amazed

What we're seeing now is an example of the problem with the scheduling of international cricket generally. England have far too many matches this year (in all formats) and as a result are having to compromise to keep the players fresh, then compromise again so that the players can drink from the well of riches that is the IPL. All in a year where travel and even the process for playing the games is hugely complicated with Covid.

So instead of being able to enjoy a fantastic year for England with a test series in India to start it, hosting them in the summer and an Ashes series at the end of it, we're just feeling the frustration of not seeing our best XI in what feels like a majority of matches.

It's surely not that ridiculous to suggest that if the number of matches was reduced in all formats slightly, the matches themselves would benefit from having stronger teams playing in them.

So that’s South Africa and NZ players declaring they will miss some of IPL as country comes first

and these are players who are played a hell of a lot less than England lads

Yet we’ve been told that there is absolutely no chance that England players can miss any of it and we are bang out of order suggesting we do

even made our test captain apologize for it

laughable

I know most will disagree, but for me I feel we are so well stocked for WK I'd be tempted to say to Jos what is it - do you want to play Test cricket? Or do you want to become a Morgan type franchise player, and play solely white ball cricket?

At the moment hes trying to have his cake and eat it, and it isn't fair on his team mates.

As The Rat said, the Saffers and Kiwis are showing their colours and putting Test cricket first.

I know most will disagree, but for me I feel we are so well stocked for WK I'd be tempted to say to Jos what is it - do you want to play Test cricket? Or do you want to become a Morgan type franchise player, and play solely white ball cricket?

At the moment hes trying to have his cake and eat it, and it isn't fair on his team mates.

As The Rat said, the Saffers and Kiwis are showing their colours and putting Test cricket first.

it’s a tough year for sure

and the players will argue that they have the backing from Ed Smith and co because there are 2 world cups in 2 years, and that’s is been complicated by the pandemic. So they are happy for them to play as much t20 as possible, that’s the argument

I’m still at the pissed offstage and in a bit of a huff so I’m not really sure what I actually think

I think it all has a balance, and if your wicket keeper misses 5 test in a row, is he even your first choice keeper? It a tree falls in the woods with nobody about Etc

fuck knows

Back