Things you are looking forward to

A while ago I was sitting in the kitchen listening to music when SWMBO poked her head round the door and asked if I was up to going to see The Eagles with the sis and bro in law. I said “ Yes if you like “
About an hour later she poked her head round the door and said it’s all booked.
Turns out the concert is at Wembley stadium on a bank holiday weekend. Tickets cost £185 each and are just bog standard. Throw in £100 for a room and similar each for train and it’s a bloody expensive concert to see a band I’m not that fond of.
It was cancelled last year and re scheduled for this August. I hope it is cancelled again and we can get the ticket money back !

Watching the last leg, and had a bit of a comparison with the post Spanish flu world.

In the 1920's they built loads buildings like cinemas & concert halls which encourage social interaction, saw some of the highest rates of the clap as everyone had missed shagging about.

It turns out, despite what the doom mongers say there is s massive amount of pent up demand to be social, and people quickly forget about the distancing & masks.

Mother in law not moaning on like she's the only one stuck in.
No more home schooling.
Never using zoom again.
I'm actually looking forward to the match, obviously the 1st match back will be a disappointing 0-1 defeat in the 3rd div to some bus parking team, still miss bring in a crowd.
Live music. Lights go down, band comes on stage, lose yourself in a crowd, can't wait.
Session with the lads, sat round the same table.
Holiday.
No more of boris's 3 word slogans.

Watching the last leg, and had a bit of a comparison with the post Spanish flu world.

In the 1920's they built loads buildings like cinemas & concert halls which encourage social interaction, saw some of the highest rates of the clap as everyone had missed shagging about.

It turns out, despite what the doom mongers say there is s massive amount of pent up demand to be social, and people quickly forget about the distancing & masks.
I've been saying for ages. Mind I'm not saying I'm some sort of economist, but the economy will bounce back after this quite quickly imo. If you look through history the trend normally is a boom after there's been a rough patch.

I've been saying for ages. Mind I'm not saying I'm some sort of economist, but the economy will bounce back after this quite quickly imo. If you look through history the trend normally is a boom after there's been a rough patch.
I hope you're correct.

My concern is with so many people out of work In the coming year. Business no longer here. Less money in your pocket due to taxes so less money being spent on leisure etc.

Also factor in how useless this government is with everything they touch, then I fear the worst.

I hope you're correct.

My concern is with so many people out of work In the coming year. Business no longer here. Less money in your pocket due to taxes so less money being spent on leisure etc.

Also factor in how useless this government is with everything they touch, then I fear the worst.
I think it was a thread on here where it was being discussed and I had a think. After the first world war we had the 'roaring twenties'. The UK was prospering while a lot of other countries were in deep recession. After the second world war it took slightly longer, but once we hit the sixties the country was booming again. The 70s and 80s seen a lot of industry close down, strikes and high unemployment. The economy was in a right state by the time the 90s came round. However, a change in government and low interest rates seen another boom. The government have undoubtedly had to borrow an unprecedented amount of money, but because of low interest rates there's no urgency to pay that back. The countries WW2 debt wasn't paid off until 2006 or something.

I try not to look too far forward.
It could be next year when I can walk into a pub , stand and have a pint at the bar.
But I think most people will have lots of spare cash when things can back to something like normal.
The doom and gloom over unemployment is overdone.
The vast majority of pubs will reopen and holiday operators will be able to name their price.

Back