Things to do in N.E with a 5 year old and a 4 year old

I’m a NT member and been to Gibside loads and never been round the back of the temple, never knew there was a big play park. What a tit.

Soz to whoever I called out above.

If they like books try Seven Stories.
:lol: It wasn't me you called out but when I read your post I was confused because Gibside has a topper play area.

:lol: It wasn't me you called out but when I read your post I was confused because Gibside has a topper play area.
I’m livid mate. Been loads and always end up through the walled garden and up. Normally ready for home by the time I get back down to the entrance again.

I feel so foolish.

My daughter is going to think I’m the best dad ever when I tell her I’ve found a super play park for her.

I haven't even heard of that,i am coming up in a few weeks for the first time in years,any info on that?

It's worth doing mind. See the link above. Wear waterproof shoes or wellies as the tunnel can flood in places and you need to be fit enough to climb up a ladder. Really enjoyed it.

Also there's the Victoria tunnel in Ouseburn which is interesting as well.

Think I’d question who was the wierdo if my niece said she was taking her 5 yo to Durham Cathedral...I doubt if he would know what a Cathedral was...

Kids that are are amazed by practically anything if explained at their level, preferably with enthusiasm. Even if they aren't astonished by the cathedral's sheer size, there's always the lego version.

Just back up after a trip down before the kids went back to school and found the Centre for Life on the rainier of our two days excellent. There is an old school gaming section there at the minute so, something for everybody.

On the nicer of our two days we went to the Wildfowl park ate washington. The kids are daft about animals so it was canny for them and there were a few activities on as it’s the hols.

Game 2.0 finishes in September
Hamsterley Forest is brilliant for young kids. There's about 6 different ay areas in half an hours walking. Plus the river to mess around in. I love it and the kids do
I live about 10 mins away and I'm ashamed to say I don't go as often as I should. Keep saying we'll take the bairn to see the gruffalo as she loves the books but things keep cropping up.

There's also Preston park and butterfly world which is fab for little ones

Last edited:

Back