The UK net zero carbon emissions thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date

My husband drives to work (He doesn’t work in central london), I get the train and tube. Also, we do occasionally get out of London to come North, plus the London transport network is great if you want to go in to the centre, less great if you want to go “across”.
That's fair. I think there will come a time when people will gave to live near work and use public transport (which will have to be massively improved).
No one will even contemplate doing this even though we are told it is extremely important to change. Posted from Metro at fellgate.
In this case their idiocy is helping to kill the planet
Is it? I think we are all fairly responsible.
I think it will need legislation and huge incentives but essentially capitalism isn't exactly a comfortable bedfellow with the need for us to consume less.

Things that could be done (reasonably) quickly?

Cancel HS2 and spend that money on local light rail schemes like the Metro.

Give tax kickbacks to people who give up the right to own a car.

Make City centres traffic free.

Stop the horsepower srms race currently going on in the car industry. Audi have just announced a 600hp estate car.....really, is there any need or justification.

Tax single use plastic to the hilt and place deposits on bottles, large enough to make it worthwhile for someone to return them for recycling.

Introduce a UBI as soon as is practicable to cut down on the level of economic activity.

Ban the sale of cheap useless tat that serves no real useful purpose.

Genetically modify cow's gut microbiome so that it produces much less Methane.
100% loads of other things could be done none of which people would vote for. Democracy and capitalism cannot solve this problem imho.

Last edited:
That's fair. I think there will come a time when people will gave to live near work and use public transport (which will have to be massively improved).
No one will even contemplate doing this even though we are told it is extremely important to change. Posted from Metro at fellgate.

Is it? I think we are all fairly responsible.

I wonder what the average commute is, I dare bet not many gave a fuck about how far they had to travel from an environmental sense when taking their current roles.

I think it will need legislation and huge incentives but essentially capitalism isn't exactly a comfortable bedfellow with the need for us to consume less.

Things that could be done (reasonably) quickly?

Cancel HS2 and spend that money on local light rail schemes like the Metro.

Give tax kickbacks to people who give up the right to own a car.

Make City centres traffic free.

Stop the horsepower srms race currently going on in the car industry. Audi have just announced a 600hp estate car.....really, is there any need or justification.

Tax single use plastic to the hilt and place deposits on bottles, large enough to make it worthwhile for someone to return them for recycling.

Introduce a UBI as soon as is practicable to cut down on the level of economic activity.

Ban the sale of cheap useless tat that serves no real useful purpose.

Genetically modify cow's gut microbiome so that it produces much less Methane.
On the car issue it’s a lot easier to give up a car if there’s great local transport such as London possesses. It’s a bit much to give the locals tax kickbacks when no one else has nearly as much investment in their transport systems especially rural dwellers

On the car issue it’s a lot easier to give up a car if there’s great local transport such as London possesses. It’s a bit much to give the locals tax kickbacks when no one else has nearly as much investment in their transport systems especially rural dwellers

I appreciate that but it doesn't mean it can't be introduced where applicable. Less than 10% of the population live in rural areas.

Allocate people air miles to be used for travel per year. If they want to go long haul let them save over a couple of years or so.
Would also revitalise the uks tourist industry.
I appreciate that but it doesn't mean it can't be introduced where applicable. Less than 10% of the population live in rural areas.
So basically a tax break for those that have great transport links. Until the rest of the country has something resembling the massive investment London gets its very one sided

Last edited:
Allocate people air miles to be used for travel per year. If they want to go long haul let them save over a couple of years or so.
Would also revitalise the uks tourist industry.

The thing is it always boils down to the economy and the holy grail of economic growth. Everything is tied in to this and decisions to limit growth will never be made by governments. They'll put taxes on everything to discourage the poorest people from using planes and cars and they'll tax carrier bags and plastic drinks bottles but they won't really do anything that hinders economic growth. Until that is challenged there's little to no hope of any progress on climate change.

The thing is it always boils down to the economy and the holy grail of economic growth. Everything is tied in to this and decisions to limit growth will never be made by governments. They'll put taxes on everything to discourage the poorest people from using planes and cars and they'll tax carrier bags and plastic drinks bottles but they won't really do anything that hinders economic growth. Until that is challenged there's little to no hope of any progress on climate change.

We’re doomed.

An air mile allocation wouldn’t harm the tax take, what they lose in airfare taxation the country gains with internal tourism, probably more as the accommodation money and all the rest spent abroad will be spent here.
Would also encourage towns, coastal especially to get some money moving and up their game on facilities and the like.

Also the air mile allotment would be allocated to all so no getting round it by paying the poor for their allocations

Last edited:
Are you living in some parallel universe?

No idea what you're on about. You said it wasn't simple and I suggested it was. If you want to elaborate on why it's not simple I'll give you a more comprehensive answer.
An air mile allocation wouldn’t harm the tax take, what they lose in airfare taxation the country gains with internal tourism, probably more as the accommodation money and all the rest spent abroad will be spent here.
Would also encourage towns, coastal especially to get some money moving and up their game on facilities and the like.

Also the air mile allotment would be allocated to all so no getting round it by paying the poor for their allocations

Did you realise that livestock farting and belching causes more climate change gases than the aviation industry? I'd have thought that would be easier to tackle with genetic modifications.

Last edited:
No idea what you're on about. You said it wasn't simple and I suggested it was. If you want to elaborate on why it's not simple I'll give you a more comprehensive answer.

Did you realise that livestock farting and belching causes more climate change gases than the aviation industry? I'd have thought that would be easier to tackle with genetic modifications.
Who says you can’t do both?
Just raise the price on beef with taxation it should lower demand ;)

Why do people have cars?
Can they just get rid of them because of a tax break?
Does everyone live within a transport system regarding their work?
Does everyone work the hours of transport system hours?
Are places of work easily accessible with public transport?
Do people work in the same place all the time?

I could go on and on and on but it’s not that simple.

Back